Topic: This Old Road

This is a song that reflects how anxiety has effected my life and the day to day emotions I try and deal with. I hope not too many chordians deal with its complexities.
Gmaj7 played 220001
Kenny

This Old Roadby Ken Peters Feb 2009

[G]Staring out my window, another cold wind blows the rain. [D] [Em]

[Em]Searching for the answers, like a cancer in my brain. [D] [G]

[G]I try to find a reason, for the footprints that I've made.[D] [Em]

[Em]Buried in the seasons, are the games my mind has played.[D]

[C]Years have past, the times gone [D]by.

[G]Yesterday still [Gmaj7]holds my lonely [Em]cry. [G]

Yet I [C]struggle with my soul and hope to [D]fly.

Ah-h-[Em]h-h. [D] [Em] [D]

This old [G]road, that I roam.

[Gmaj7]Is so [Em]lo-ong, all alo-one.

I have [C]tried in my [Em]quest to carry on,

To be a [C]better man.

To be a [D]better man.

Ah-h-[Em]h-h [D] [Em] [D]

[G]Every night I wonder, how I made it through the day. [D] [Em]

[Em]Clouded in confusion, are the dreams I hold at bay. [D] [G]

[G]Every day I wake up, just to find it's all the same. [D] [Em]

[Em]Looking in the mirror, I find myself to blame.[D]

[C]Shadows chase me through the [D]halls.

[G]Ghosts of times gone [Gmaj7]past hide in the [Em]walls. [G]

All [C]alone I fight and hear my lonely [D]calls.

[Gmaj7]Is so [Em]lo-ong, all alo-one.

To be a [C]better man.

To be a [D]better man.

Instrumentals with saxophones and a growling saxophone as lead following chorus/verse line.

[Gmaj7]Is so [Em]lo-ong all alo-one.

To be a [C]better man.

To be a [D]better man.

Ah-h-[Em]h-h [D] [Em] [D] [Em] [D]

Fade out with growling saxophone

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Re: This Old Road

Hi Kenny,

Thankfully I have not travelled down this road. I have my ups and downs, but the downs do not last long and are far outweighed by the ups. I hope the therapy of writing this song has helped put things in perspective for you.

Now when do we hear the recording? smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Greetings Kenny,
I think you've done a fine job with this song. As Roger says, and I agree, singing what's within' can be very therapeutic for the person singing and the person/people listening....Keep on keepin' on. Know that I, and many others are on your side, fellow musician.........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Great song , though I cant hear the saxaphone in it.  Kinda sounds folky when I play it. Not a critisim. Just a thought. Well done

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Thanks Roger smile

Writing on this subject is definitely helpful but very scary at the same time because, in real life most people don't understand or choose not to understand, which adds to the anxiety.Writing this feels like I'm gambling. I don't feel this way here at Chordie. It has helped me huge since joining. smile

Hi Toney

Thanks for the kind words of wisdom and support. smile I've been invited to a small winery outside of London this Friday night to jam with some local musicians.Not a huge venue but big enough where I am sweating buckets right now. I hope to take the leap and have something to say in your gigs thread Saturday. It's the little things like that, that are a big help. smile

Hey Selso
Thanks for the comments.  I should have said in the intro that it is a piano piece with a kind of 80's feel to it. ( I think lol) That's one of the cool things about Chordie. Having a chance to interpret how you feel the song is played.
No harm,No foul smile

Thanks Again

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi Kenny
Takes a brave man to admit to his anxieties in a song or anywhere..
Great lyrics full of emotion hope you get around to record it sometime.
Hope your gig goes well for you on Friday..
Ark

hi kenny a great song ,its a good way to get things off your chest ,you need to relax and chill out but still keeping in focus with what you want ,i bottle things up alll the time  so easy to say things ,but can't be bothered with the hassle so i just get on with life and put things out of perspective with what i want in life ,my songs help me chill out ,....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hey Kenny,

such a sad song my old mate, look forward to hearing it, when are you gonna get that new recorder working?

talk soon

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hi Phill, smile

I hope you don't feel that this is written as a sad song or an attention grabber. It truly is about how anxiety affects me. Without getting too heavy into it all I can say is that it can hold the best of the best down, and I'm just me.

Thanks 
Kenny

Thanks Daddy smile

I appreciate your thoughts on this, it is a good way to help relieve some preasure. I would like to think it is as easy as that but this disorder has been a burden to me since a child and it really is an uphill fight.I'm not making excuses but I have to face reality.

Thanks
Kenny

Hi Ark smile

Thanks for the feedback. smile No matter what the circumstances the first step is always the biggest and toughest and scariest step. ( I learned that in my classes) I will restring my guitar and play Friday night...FOR SURE and then I will somehow talk myself into opening the BR600 manual and not let it intimidate me and try and cipher it out. lol

Thanks Again
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

hi kenny,

sorry if you think i tried to make light of things, but you know that if you need someone to talk to and i'm online...just give me a call...and the manual is just a book, look for the bits that you need to get you going and forget the rest till you need it and you are up and running...that's what i always do, then when you go through it at a later date, your more familiar with it and then it's a pleasant surprise what things you can do together...some say it's better than a woman...dont talk back anyway! roll

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hi Phill smile

I didn't feel you were making light at all. In fact I appreciate what you said as I re-read the song.
It does have a sad feel to it, and that is something I hoped to get across in the song.If you or anyone else knows someone dealing with anxiety at high levels, all that is asked is to understand.
I know you understand and that is why I value your input. smile

As for the BR600, if it doesn't talk back then I shouldn't be afraid of it. lol I like the way you think my Welsh friend. I will get it down one day sooner then later I hope, but in the mean time I will keep on writing so when I cipher it I'll have something to use it for.

Thanks Again

Kenny smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi ken,

It takes greater courage to travel this road..  We sometimes have to get ill to find ourselves..

Makes it all sound simple don't it ? You and I know the truth here..

Your song is wonderful, writing is just one of your other strengths.. Know this, use it, but most of all enjoy it..

Peace in abundance to you .

Ill be in touch soon.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hi Lena smile

Thanks again for your kind words. I have learned a lot about my strengths and weaknesses over the last while. Most importantly I have learned that I am not alone and I have friends all over the world thanks to Chordie.
I am sorry to hear about your niece. I do hope and pray it is not too serious and all will be well.

I finally got a new computer monitor as the old one couldn't take me pounding on it any more lol So I plan to be on-line more which should knock down the anxiety a tad. lol  lol

Talk Soon and Thanks Again smile
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)