Topic: Recording stuff from different locations

My friend and I would like to record some stuff just for the fun of it, but he lives about 8 hours away...what's the easiest way to go about putting together two tracks recorded at two different places?  He is going to record the bass-how can he send it to me so I can record guitar over it?  I'm a newbie as far as recording goes, so if anyone has some tips or advice they could offer that would be great.  Thanks!

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Recording stuff from different locations

if the file is not to large he can email it or open a mediafire account its free and if both of you have one you can upload your tracks and exchange send them as mp3 or wav or flac format smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi 06sc500,

Russell's got the right idea, and that is how we have sent tracks to and fro in the past with much success.  Naturally you will want to use the file format that allows the best audio reproduction at the other end, which is why we tend to use the Mediafire option.  Mediafire does not have the filesize limits that most e-mail accounts have so the lossless formats such as FLAC and WAV are more easily sent.  MP3 is compressed but sometimes there is some difference in the quality of the track after compression into that filetype.  Personally I like FLAC and Audacity and most other recording software will be able to import/export in that file format.  Optimal is WAV as it has no loss in quality, but the file sizes get very large.... 20MB and larger depending on the amount of data the track requires for rendering.

Good Luck and have fun with it!  As always if you need information, this is the place to come to with your questions.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi 06,

Since you guys are just getting started, I would probably just use mp3. It is true that the quality is not as good as .wav but it will probably be easier using mp3 and most emails should handle these files. This will keep you from having to obtain another account on another website. I think g mail will allow up to 10MB files but I'm not sure. Like Doug and Russell mentioned, you might want to keep in mind the website "mediafire" in case you get serious about recording and want to trade a higher quality sound because this site will allow something like a 100MB file upload without paying for a membership. And believe me, if the "recording bug" bites you like it did me and a lot of the other members on chordie, you will definitely want the highest quality you can get,,,,for free of course...:lol:

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

Yea Scott thats seems like a fair price to pay lol

fatstrings wrote:

Hi 06,

Since you guys are just getting started, I would probably just use mp3. It is true that the quality is not as good as .wav but it will probably be easier using mp3 and most emails should handle these files. This will keep you from having to obtain another account on another website. I think g mail will allow up to 10MB files but I'm not sure. Like Doug and Russell mentioned, you might want to keep in mind the website "mediafire" in case you get serious about recording and want to trade a higher quality sound because this site will allow something like a 100MB file upload without paying for a membership. And believe me, if the "recording bug" bites you like it did me and a lot of the other members on chordie, you will definitely want the highest quality you can get,,,,for free of course...:lol:

Hey thanks a lot guys we'll see what happens...

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Good luck stephen and give us a link when your finished so we can give a listen smile