Topic: Happy St. Patricks Day

Tomorrow, we are all Irish. Celebrate safely everyone!

A Texan walks into a pub in Ireland and clears his voice to the crowd of drinkers. He says, "I hear you Irish are a bunch of hard drinkers. I'll give $500 American dollars to anybody in here who can drink 10 pints of Guinness back-to-back."

The room is quiet, and no one takes up the Texan's offer. One man even leaves.

Thirty minutes later the same gentleman who left shows back up and taps the Texan on the shoulder. "Is your bet still good?" asks the Irishman.

The Texan says yes and asks the bartender to line up 10 pints of Guinness. Immediately the Irishman tears into all 10 of the pint glasses, drinking them all back-to-back.

The other pub patrons cheer as the Texan sits in amazement. The Texan gives the Irishman the $500 and says, "If ya don't mind me askin', where did you go for that 30 minutes you were gone?"

The Irishman replies, "Oh... I had to go to the pub down the street to see if I could do it first." 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZmDWltB … annel_page

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: Happy St. Patricks Day

Top that was a good one and the video reminds me of why I quit drinking a few years ago the only Irish joke I can remember is a woman in Ireland go's to her Parrish priest about her husband who gets drunk at Dooley's tavern just about every night and she's at her wits end so she asks the priest "how can I stop him from drinking" the good father tells her "you have to scare him out of his mind so he wont touch another drop,and "how will I do that" she asks he thought a moment and said "there's a cemetery on the way home from Dooley's tavern so put some white makeup on and hide behind one of the gravestones and when he comes by jump up and tell him your the devil he will be so scared he'll never touch another drop" she agrees and the next night hes stumbling home from the bar and passes the cemetery and she jumps up from behind a gravestone and says "I'm the devil,I'm the devil" he almost has a heart attack and looks at her and Say's "wait a minute I know you I married your sister" lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

75 years old.  95 lbs soaking wet.  A nun too boot.

She drank me under the table.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Cheers!!!! No more snakes.....wooooo hooooo

I'm going to feel like a real dummy if St. Patrick was not the guy who ran all the snakes out of Ireland hmm.  I'm sure some of the fine folks that live in Ireland will correct me if I'm wrong

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

"Winners don't quit and quitters don't win!"

Give everything but up.

And may you all have a very happy Paddy's Day.

"I'm going to feel like a real dummy if St. Patrick was not the guy who ran all the snakes out of Ireland."

Naw - he left all the two legged ones behind.

Today on the oul sod we'll be rising late and the evening will be a mystery. In between we'll be watching the school's cups in GAA and Rugby. This year my old school will be playing my daughter's school ( Inst v Methody ), so the stakes are high.

After that, we'll be feasting on mash, cabbage and bacon ribs which is our family tradition. You have to travel into the older parts of town to get the bacon ribs.

I often wondered if you have bacon ribs anywhere else across the world. They are ordinary pork ribs cured like bacon. We boil them hard until the meat is falling off the bone, then cook the cabbage in the stock until it's dead - and then use the stock again to make lentil soup the next day. A real poor man's dinner in these straightening times.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

happy st pat's day

and a bit of info I saw at the weekend on a big guiness hat this is the 250th St patricks day

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Ken, Lena, can anyone tell me the whole truth behind this day?

I mean, there's what history teches, and then there's the truth.

So is history that is tought in schools correct or is there a little more than what we're told?

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

dunno I am scottish lol

but as far as I know, Patrick got rid of all the rats in ireland, he played a a whistle and they all followed him. Or is that someone else?

Lena is the best to answer.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Happy St Patrick's  Day All

Try not to drink too muck green beer lol

Drink Smart and arrive alive. smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Ken I'm sorry, I knew you were Scottish, but like if I asked if anyone knew about William Wallace I know I I'd get all kinds of answers, But I'd want not just one opinion, but several. Like here in America if you were to ask what the cvil war was about, it would all depend on who you asked. One pereson would tell history and another would tell what they were told, and yet another would tell what they believed. I asked specific to either you or Lena cause I knew that one of you was almost always on line. You Scott and Lena Irish. I knew I could get an answer about it from someone that might know. Here in America we tend to learn what we are told is the truth, maybe not the actual trut, but opinion. I had a lot of teachers that taught by opinion. I also had out dated school books.

Wikipedia list this information about ST.Patrick
Saint Patrick (c. 390 - 460)[2] (Latin: Patricius,[3] Irish: Naomh Pádraig) was a Roman Britain-born Christian missionary and is the patron saint of Ireland, along with Brigid of Kildare and Columba. He was educated at a monastery and school of divinity founded by Illtud (now Llantwit Major).

When he was about 16 he was captured by Irish raiders and taken from his native Wales as a slave to Ireland, where he lived for six years before escaping and returning to his family. After entering the Church, he later returned to Ireland as a missionary in the north and west of the island, but little is known about the places where he worked and no link can be made between Patrick and any church.

By the eighth century he had come to be revered as the patron saint of Ireland. The Irish monastery system evolved after the time of Patrick and the Irish church did not develop the diocesan model that Patrick and the other early missionaries had tried to establish.

The available body of evidence does not allow the dates of Patrick's life to be fixed with certainty, but it appears that he was active as a missionary in Ireland during the second half of the fifth century. Two letters from him survive, along with later hagiographies from the seventh century onwards. Many of these works cannot be taken as authentic traditions. Uncritical acceptance of the Annals of Ulster would imply that he lived from 340 to 460, and ministered in what is modern day northern Ireland from 428 onwards.There was no mention of snakes smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

Wikipedia  .There was no mention of snakes smile

Speaking or ssssssssilent?

Give everything but up.

There is an excellent fictionalization of Patrick called "I am of Irelund" that relates a telling of the old Celt legends (Fionn mac Cumhaill and the Fianna, etc...) through the "ghost" of the poet Oisin.

It's a fantastic work.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

1) Employee of the month is a good example of how someone can be both a winner and a loser at the same time
2) Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
3) A blonde, a brunette, and a redhead all work at the same office for a female boss who always goes home early. "Hey, girls," says the brunette one day, "let's go home early tomorrow. She'll never know."
So the next day, they all leave right after the boss does. The brunette gets some extra gardening done, the redhead goes to a bar, and the blonde goes home to find her husband having sex with the female boss.
She quietly sneaks out of the house and vows to return home at her normal time the next day.
In the morning, the brunette says: "That was fun, we should do it again sometime."
"No way," says the blonde. "I almost got caught."

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

doc were these ladies from Ireland? smile

gitaardocphil wrote:

1) Employee of the month is a good example of how someone can be both a winner and a loser at the same time
2) Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
3) A blonde, a brunette, and a redhead all work at the same office for a female boss who always goes home early. "Hey, girls," says the brunette one day, "let's go home early tomorrow. She'll never know."
So the next day, they all leave right after the boss does. The brunette gets some extra gardening done, the redhead goes to a bar, and the blonde goes home to find her husband having sex with the female boss.
She quietly sneaks out of the house and vows to return home at her normal time the next day.
In the morning, the brunette says: "That was fun, we should do it again sometime."
"No way," says the blonde. "I almost got caught."

Sorry its a bit late i know, sure i was drowning the Shamrock meself yesterday.
I didnt know wheter i was in new year or new york lol . Great craic ! [ Irish word for Fun] who needs the other kind?
with music/ banter, and great great company.

Aah, Alan, them bacon ribs,  They'd put muscles on your piddle. lol We like silverside corned beef also, The soup today was a Godsend. nothing like it for a curer.

Snakes ? Our good nuns taught us The snakes was in reference to  ridding Ireland of paganism and evil ? . Its a pity he didnt include the rogue bankers.

This is a great wee spot to visit. Full of history. Well  we are an ancient land.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCTxbVCsqHY

Ceide Fields, for me when i visited some years ago gave me goose bumps. I would recommend to all visitors.
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~fiann … hist1.html

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks Russell,
There's a lot of fiction mixed in with facts when it comes to history.
This site grows every day. Some day we'll get some info that's never been written. Kinda like when you hang around with older people, they tell you things about; wars, history, geography, etc.. that could never have been found in a book.
History is a beautiful thing.