Topic: HOW DID YOU START TO LEARN PLAYING GUITAR?

Of course there are many ways to learn guitar:
- following guitar lessons is probably the most interesting way.
- teaching yourself to play guitar
- start playing in a band
- and for the others, (in my case being disabled) I learned more during the last 6 months than the 30 years before. HOW? Easy answer, by buying a device like korg pandora PX4D & PX5D, where you plug your guitar in the input and a set of earphones in the output.
There are 200 different possibilities and VERY IMPORTANT, a rhythm  section on board.
I was convinced that I was a "better" player, after 30 years, but following rhythm, was the least of my problem.
So for the "lonesome guitar player" it is necessary to use at least a metronome, or a device wich provides rhythm.
Who is thinking similar  here?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: HOW DID YOU START TO LEARN PLAYING GUITAR?

My dad got me started with three chords and a G scale... the rest I've learned jamming with the radio and getting tabs from here big_smile

All You Need is Love smile

My mom showed me three chords and I took it from there smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I recieved a 4 string plasic guitar for my Christmas when I was 11 (50 years ago). I have gone downhill ever since lol.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

On the cheap. Songs books from the public library (even ones for other instruments), articles/examples in guitar magazines, aunties' old piano sheet music, whatever I could find.

My grandmother played guitar and sang. My dad was a reed player (sax/flute).
I played tuba, trombone and trumpet thru college but at age 26, recieved a Harmony guitar as a gift from my new wife.
I took two lessons at a music store to figure out how the guitar worked and began learning tunes.
I made a guitar/vocal C.D. in my mid - fifties.
I play tuba and sing on my latest three C.D.'s. playing for John Reno.
Hear snippets at:
http://www.myspace.com/johnrenomusic

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

All of my friends had guitar hero and all I had was a guitar. I was determined to play what they could on the game. I'm 17 years old now. After about a year I'm still playing guitar every day and the fad of guitar hero has passed by my generation. tongue

Yamaha Pacifica (Strat Copy)
Roland Cube 20watt
Digitech RP500

Yammer Slammer wrote:

All of my friends had guitar hero and all I had was a guitar. I was determined to play what they could on the game. I'm 17 years old now. After about a year I'm still playing guitar every day and the fad of guitar hero has passed by my generation. tongue

I've wondered what's all the hype over fantastic game players, when you could learn some decent real guitar in the time some spend learning how to pretend.  I did give it a try and it was sort of fun.

My 1st guitar was a gift from a close friend, so I felt I had an obligation to play it.

Still paying that forward.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I tried playing bass when I was 17. I wasn't very good at it. Now (more then 30 years later) I'm trying to play guitar. I still suck. 98% perspiration, 2% inspriration. But I have fun with it and perhaps one day....  hmm

11 (edited by arkady 2009-02-28 09:24:05)

After an abortive attempt to learn in my teens (Just couldn't get it to sound like Clapton or Page) lol
Later in life a work colleague who played in a good amateur band at the time took the the time to explain the basics of the guitar chords etc to me and I was hooked for life..... Thanks Steve
Ark

I took lessons at the age of 11-12. Then i went up to highschool. found boys, and playing guitar didn't seem so much fun anymore.. LOL.. It's my biggest regret in life. because i could now have 20+ yrs experience, instead of the 9 months since i picked up again and self taught using internet resources.

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

My wife got me one for my 30th birthday after hearing how I had always had one but never knew how to play them and wound up pawning each one of them for cash in hard times.

From there, Youtube taught me everything I know.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I started playing violin, and i used what i learned from that to play guitar
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

Bought a $100 guitar. Ordered a DVD for $30 off a trading site. Then bought my son a guitar and we learnt together.
Now have 6 guitars and a banjo. I still get the real buzz from playing I did the first day. That feeling you get when you've just bought something really cool and can't wait to get home and try it out.

I started off by playing the violin. The school decided I should learn it. They sat the class down and asked us loads of questions like what note was higher than another. Myself and a mate were sharing one pencil between us ( those were the days when you got caned for forgetting your pencil ) so we just filled in anything. I got chosen to play the violin - somehow.

The guitar was my choice, for passing my 11+. I was bought a Bert Weedon Play in a Day tutor book -= and gave up. Then I got dragged around the corner by the ear for a lesson with a guy who played jazz. He taught me Tom Dooley - just two chords - and i was on my way.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

a former roommate had a cheap yamaha and a book of CCR songs. I picked out a song that I was familiar with and started making noise. Fast forward thirty years and I'm still making noise but I got to admit I can now make noise with confidence

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

My housemate staught me how to play a couple of songs and from there with chordies help i am suprised by the speed at which i am getting good.

I started off (trying) to learn to read music. After a few months, I got bored and impatient-I wanted to learn to play songs man! So, I bought some songbooks with the chords printed in them, mostly folk songs and blues. I also bought a chord book, to translate this arcane language of chords into something I could understand. I learned a chord, as I needed to, for the song I was interested in. Now, I am sure this in not the best or easiest way to learn to play guitar. Nonetheless, it worked, and has worked for me. My son in now learning to play the guitar. His teachers, teach the basics of a song, and once they have the students interest, they sneak in some theory, and notereading. Keeps the kids fired up, and interested in learning more.

But, here's the secret about the guitar: It's defiant. It will never let you conquer it. The more that you get involved with it, the more you realize how little you know.
                 Les Paul  March 2007

I had to choose a second instrument in my school and I chose Guitar. So teacher is the answer on how I learned. I have learned more however by all the information you can get free on the internet!

Musician/Pianist

Visit my blog for piano tips!
[url=http://hubpages.com/hub/Piano-tips]Piano tips[/url]

I got a plastic Mickey Mouse guitar when I was little. 7 years old I think. Then when I was 10 I found an old aucstic in our attic. I saved my lunch money for months and got a set of strings. then a friend of mine taught me the frist few chords of come as you are, then it was on from there.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I tried to teach myself, but I misserably failed. I learned to play the guitar from some of my inmates.

I was a correctional officer not so long ago. I tried to get a music program going, but it all went array. Before I could save it or expand it, or basically do anything with it I lost my job of about twelve years. I haven't gotten to finish learning and I never got to see the program that I helped to begin go anywhere. I believe that the program, by now is all but gone.

I tried to make so many changes and it had a positive impact. I worked for a private prison company. I made numerous suggestions, I even started putting some into effect, but it's all gone now.

I taught a lot to my inmates and I feel that I learned quite a lot as well.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

my dad tought me a few simple chords on a small nylon string

well it started out like this ...Mom will you help me pay for guitar lessons ..please....and  she said .. sorry son we dont have the money to pay for these lesson you want. you'll just have to learn from your friends...in my mind im thinkin what friends ..that i know ..even know how to play the guitar ...but i did learn from other people....slowly but surely.. but than the internet appeared and i became a sponge and i must have more input

i love to play