Re: Your most covered artist??

dfoskey wrote:
Zurf wrote:
dfoskey wrote:

Third Day and Merle Hagard

Now there's a combination!  Reminds me of a bluegrass concert.  There's always a few songs about the merits of home-made whiskey, and there's always a few songs about the Lord.  And you just KNOW that the fellows singing mean every single word of both kind of songs. 

- Zurf

Hey Zurf the funny thing is I try to play each of their songs with a Bluegrass style. Some of it works out pretty good. smile

Any music can be done via bluegrass interpretation. Just one example here;
http://www.myspace.com/hsdx

Give everything but up.

That was awesome.  Heck, if they can do, "Highway to Hell", then they obviously can do anything.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I once saw an album by a Bluegrass tribute band covering Nickleback hits. I don't recall the name but i wish i had bought the album.

Jimmy Buffet, Pat Dailey, Tim Wilson, Rodney Carrington

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

washed by Him! wrote:

WWWWeeeelllllllllllll, i do not perform(yet) but i play a lot of Reliant K, Starfield, Third Day,  and as much upbeat Christian, Contemporary as i can......:lol:

Ben smile

Third Day is awesome.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

bla...bla...hmmmmm....to mmany hard song..

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Jimmy Buffet, Pat Dailey, Tim Wilson, Rodney Carrington

Gee why doesn't that surprise me.  Jimmy Buffet and all.  Cool stuff for sure.  Cheers!  wink

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

I cover a lot of Social Distortion and Judas Priest ... with a little Kenny Chesney thrown in wink

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

i like to play Johnny Cash! bum chicky bum chicky bum!!! lol

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Johnny Cash is cool Micky.  smile  You ever hear him do Tom Petty's "I won't back down"  Great cover. 

Cheers
Heather

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Nope Raven cant say i have, but am gonna look it up soon as i post this

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

I think Tom Petty said that he sang it with such authoritity that he wished he hadn't done it.  smile  I couldn't find a video of Johnny singing it live but here's a tribute and you can hear Tom Petty singing back up.  Tom Petty and his band recorded it with him plus a whole album of Johnny's that won a Grammy.  Can't remember the name but Tom is quoted as saying it's the best album he's ever done.  Very cool.  smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiLiTpBfpQM

Cheers
Heather

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

It was Johnny Cash's final album on America Records.  I don't recall the name of it, but it has a black and white picture of Johnny sitting in a chair outside an old barn as the cover.  One of the best albums in my collection.  Johnny Cash's "Spiritual" is awesome, as is "Unchained."  That album doesn't have "I Won't Back Down" on it, but it does have "Southern Accent" originally by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are the backup band.  Tom Petty sings backup on much of it.  Very good album. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I love Social Distortion's cover of, "Ring of Fire" ... you have to love a great song that's beefed up to a power chord formation ... it sounds excellent

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Zurf wrote:

It was Johnny Cash's final album on America Records.  I don't recall the name of it, but it has a black and white picture of Johnny sitting in a chair outside an old barn as the cover.  One of the best albums in my collection.  Johnny Cash's "Spiritual" is awesome, as is "Unchained."  That album doesn't have "I Won't Back Down" on it, but it does have "Southern Accent" originally by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are the backup band.  Tom Petty sings backup on much of it.  Very good album. 

- Zurf

Hey Zurf the Johnny Cash album that won the Grammy was "Unchained".  Rick Rubin produced it and Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers backed up on it.  But no it doesn't have "I won't back down on it".  Great album though. 

Cheers
Heather

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Check out "Cash Unearthed."  It's a retrospective box set of his ten years with America records.  All produced by Rick Rubin.  Next time I've got $80 sitting around doing nothing, I'm likely to buy it.  He did four albums, each with the usual twelve or fifteen songs.  However, they recorded 80 or so songs for each.  Cash Unearthed includes many of the songs that weren't put on albums.  It was wrapped up and on its way to Johnny Cash for final approval, but he died while it was on its way.  They've finally released it. 

The only song I've heard off of it is "Heart of Gold", and that song alone is worth the $80 to have the album.  (Of course I could by that song alone as an MP3 for $1, but what's the fun in that?).

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

Check out "Cash Unearthed."  It's a retrospective box set of his ten years with America records.  All produced by Rick Rubin.  Next time I've got $80 sitting around doing nothing, I'm likely to buy it.  He did four albums, each with the usual twelve or fifteen songs.  However, they recorded 80 or so songs for each.  Cash Unearthed includes many of the songs that weren't put on albums.  It was wrapped up and on its way to Johnny Cash for final approval, but he died while it was on its way.  They've finally released it. 

The only song I've heard off of it is "Heart of Gold", and that song alone is worth the $80 to have the album.  (Of course I could by that song alone as an MP3 for $1, but what's the fun in that?).

- Zurf

I just checked iTunes and it's only $49.99 Canadian on there.  Hm????  You should check it out if you have iTunes.  Looks amazing!  Cheers Heather  smile

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

you could check out www.spotify no need to pay anything and get lots of music for free.

Think it is time to let everyone know about this

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Zurf wrote:

Check out "Cash Unearthed."  It's a retrospective box set of his ten years with America records.

- Zurf

Thanks for the tip Zurf - I just ordered the box set from Amazon. The download is $30 cheaper, but then I couldn't read the liner notes!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

RavenLady wrote:
Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

I just checked iTunes and it's only $49.99 Canadian on there.  Hm????  You should check it out if you have iTunes.  Looks amazing!  Cheers Heather  smile

The evidence is clear.  I have to move to Canada. 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:
RavenLady wrote:
Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

The evidence is clear.  I have to move to Canada. 

- Zurf

The thought has crossed the minds of my wife and myself. 

We'll play the "Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin as we cross the border..............just kidding.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

smile:)  We welcome you anytime Zurf and Wife.  Pretty sweet up here.  You could move to British Columbia for similiar weather that you have in Virginia. 

Cheers
Heather

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

If I were to be forced to move to Canada but could have my wish of locations, it would definitely be coastal British Columbia.  There's the Cascade mountains, more salmon than you can shake a stick at (and I would very much enjoy shaking a particular 9' 6wt Temple Fork Outfitters stick at them), and sea kayaking with whales, plus it never gets terribly hot or terribly cold.  Hard to beat. 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

If I were to be forced to move to Canada but could have my wish of locations, it would definitely be coastal British Columbia.  There's the Cascade mountains, more salmon than you can shake a stick at (and I would very much enjoy shaking a particular 9' 6wt Temple Fork Outfitters stick at them), and sea kayaking with whales, plus it never gets terribly hot or terribly cold.  Hard to beat. 

- Zurf

Yup I love BC as well.  I live in Alberta, the province next to it.  My husband and I have many family and friends there, all over.  Even on Vancouver Island and Thetis Island.  We vacation there every chance we can get.  Interior BC is gorgeous too with all the lakes and the climate is pretty great, especially in the summer but can get a ton of snow in the winter.  smile  Still milder than here in AB.  No Hurricanes on the coast of BC either.  Some good storms, nonetheless.  My sister has a kayak and loves it.  We hope to move to BC in a few years.  wink

Cheers
Heather

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

RavenLady wrote:
Zurf wrote:

- Zurf

Yup I love BC as well.  I live in Alberta, the province next to it.  My husband and I have many family and friends there, all over.  Even on Vancouver Island and Thetis Island.  We vacation there every chance we can get.  Interior BC is gorgeous too with all the lakes and the climate is pretty great, especially in the summer but can get a ton of snow in the winter.  smile  Still milder than here in AB.  No Hurricanes on the coast of BC either.  Some good storms, nonetheless.  My sister has a kayak and loves it.  We hope to move to BC in a few years.  wink

Cheers
Heather

Cool, my wife has close family ties in Alberta.  We've been there several times.  And have been to Banff and Lake Louise.