Topic: Which Elecro Acoustic?

Hi Chordians
                     I want to shorten the list of Guitars to look at, so i would like to buy a  Electro Acoustic  for a round 200 to 300 pound sterling, can you advise me with a short list to look at?

I would prefer a smaller bodied but keeping full fret size (got big clumsy fingers) if thats possible

thanks for any help recieved  Micky

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

2 (edited by RavenLady 2009-03-28 15:13:57)

Re: Which Elecro Acoustic?

Hey Micky,

I have a Taylor Acoustic/Electric that I love.  http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/100-200/200/214ce/  Here's a link with the specs and suggested retail price.  It's more than you're looking to pay but they do have less expensive acoustic/electric ones as well.  Check out the 100ce or 200ce series.  I traded in my old acoustic Takamine so I only paid around $750 CAD for mine.  I also have a great guitar shop and the boys always give me an extra discount.  smile  Shop around though.  You never know what you'll find.  I know Fender make acoustic/electric's as well as Takamine and a host of others.  The only problem is that once you want to add the electric component, the price goes up significantly.  Best thing is to go out and shop around, play some and see what fits you.  My Takamine was a smaller body but after my playing started to improve I found it too small, so you might want to consider that.  And the more you can pay up front the better quality guitar you're going to get.  Which will make it easier to play and then you'll want to play it more.  So spend as MUCH as you can and get a good one.  It will pay off in the long run.  Good Luck!

Cheers
Heather

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Not may replies??

Raven ave spotted a Ibanez AEG10e it has loads of customer reviews all bar 1 given it fantastic reviews, £240 mark.. will wait for more advice before rushing in still.

thanks micky

I'll chime in this evening with a list of suggestions... Have to run for the moment smile

Do you have any prefrences as far as size? 00, GA, ...etc Any particular size neck you're looking for? 1 3/4, 1.8, 1 11/16... What tone woods/sound are you interested in? Spruce top, Cedar top..  What style do you intend on playing mostly? Fingerstyle, heavey strumming, light strumming?  Are you playing live, recording, or just want a good jamming guitar in general? Sorry for all the questions smile They do have a purpose wink I just want to make my suggestions the best I can to suit your needs. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

5 (edited by RavenLady 2009-03-29 16:45:03)

Well there ya go Micky.  Now things are starting to roll.  Good luck smile

Cheers
Heather

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

You mean you haven't heard me rave about my Yamaha APX500 (no it's not a bike)! I love it, it cost me £200. Or rather it cost Mrs alvee33 £200 as 40th birthday prezzy a couple of years ago.

Nice low action. Very easy to play, even with my small hands. Sounds great unplugged or plugged. Built-in tuner is a brilliant feature.

http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electro … tic_guitar

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

7 (edited by RavenLady 2009-03-29 16:49:31)

alvee33 wrote:

You mean you haven't heard me rave about my Yamaha APX500 (no it's not a bike)! I love it, it cost me £200. Or rather it cost Mrs alvee33 £200 as 40th birthday prezzy a couple of years ago.

Nice low action. Very easy to play, even with my small hands. Sounds great unplugged or plugged. Built-in tuner is a brilliant feature.

http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/electro … tic_guitar

I love the fact that it has a built in tuner, Al.  Paul's acoustic bass has that.  Definitely a great item to have.

Cheers
Heather

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Hi Pix thanks for your time

Ahhhhh a list of prefrences ummm. now i know very little about guitars..in fact nowt lol

At the mo my freshmans pretty big and deep bodied etc
Am looking for a body which isnt to deep, but i like the  deep bassy sound
reasonable fret size not small cos ave big fat clumsy fingers
as for wood sorry to sounds so dumb i havent a clue am so new!!

Now style  nothing too heavy,Johnny cash, rock n roll 1950's style, and anything that  i take a fancy in trying, take a look at my Songbook maybe give you an idea..i save in there what i'll give a go at (the easy stuff).
As for the rest you asked about  cant fingerpick yet, so its a heavy strum ( down to being heavy handed)..and its all down to pesonal use not quite hide in a cupboard and play ( though i bet the wife wishes i would lol) but no giging and the like.. play and chill out is me.

i hope it gives a little insight

ps: Am looking to take it away on our holidays so as i said not too big

Tanks for all replies Micky

Hi Micky,

Here is a link to one of my favorites....  www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=Ovation
Ovation has been around awhile and are durable, not too expensive, and well made.  The shallow bodied models do not have as much bass acoustically as the deeper sizes, but the on board preamp allows you to compensate when plugged in.  Also incorporates a chromatic tuner, and I really am fond of mine.  Deals nicely with fingerpicking and has enough "bite" to rock hard in the veins of a solidbody axe.

Play everything before you buy, and good hunting!
Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

MICKY
Have a look at  Yamaha APX models,Cort SFX series and the Crafter range.Personally I think the Cort beats the Yamaha hands down and I have a Crafter Twin Bird which although not a small bodied is an excellent piece of kit.
Regards JOHN

Hey Micky,
You've already got some good suggestions... I checked out the Ibanez and it looks good. Ibanez uses a 1 11/16 neck which is fairly narrow but the ones I've owned had a slightly chunkier neck profile that made the fret board seem wider and easier to fret than most 1 11/16. They play more like a 1 3/4 neck... The Fishman electronics on them have always sounded good to me plugged in as well. It is an all laminate guitar, or I assume it is because they don't use the word solid anywhere in the description, So it won't really age and improve with time and the tone may be a little thin unplugged but most thinner profile guitars are going to have that problem anyway. A plus side to the laminate is that it won't really affect how it sounds plugged in and a full laminate guitar is much stronger and more stable, making it better suited for traveling or playing outdoors.
  The yamaha apx line looks real good as well. I've never played one so I can't offer many details but I have heard lots of people brag on them. Ovation is also a good choice. They have a thinner neck profile so you may want to try one first but they are great guitars. Excellent plugged in and will probably have a better acoustic tone than most thinner profile guitars, especially in the bass range. They're built tough and handle heavy strumming well. Some people find the bowl back uncomfortable to play, especially while sitting, so ,again, be sure to try one first.
  The Taylors are also great! The models raven suggested would work well for you! Also the Big Baby! They sound remarkably good for a smaller bodied guitar and is a very popular choice for many. I'd also keep my eye out for anything in the Godin line (Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, Norman). The folk models with spruce top would be next to the top of my list of recommendations.. Great bang for the buck! A great tone plugged in and they are exceptional acoustically, for this price range.        Okay, I've rambled on enough...:)

These are only MY opinions and everyone has different preferences, So It's always best to try before you buy! That said, a lot of us just don't have that option without several hours drive time. If you're not sure, and are going to order one, I'd suggest considering used! Buying used (online or locally) can save you you a lot of money! This allows you to get more for your money or just get a good deal on the same model and if it doesn't suit you, you can sell it without that initial loss from a new guitar. Maybe even turn a profit... -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Thanks all, checking out info provided,

Micky

When I tried then bought my Faith Natural series Venus I was thinking of getting the Jupiter which was only acoustic, but when I heard the tone and volume from the smaller Venus I was sold! Both have Engleman spruce tops, mahogany backs/sides and necks with ebony fingerboard. The Jupiter is now available as an electro with cutaway.

Try this:

http://www.faithguitars.com/productdeta … eb6506f175

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Guitarpix wrote:

Hey Micky,
You've already got some good suggestions... I checked out the Ibanez and it looks good. Ibanez uses a 1 11/16 neck which is fairly narrow but the ones I've owned had a slightly chunkier neck profile that made the fret board seem wider and easier to fret than most 1 11/16. They play more like a 1 3/4 neck... The Fishman electronics on them have always sounded good to me plugged in as well. It is an all laminate guitar, or I assume it is because they don't use the word solid anywhere in the description, So it won't really age and improve with time and the tone may be a little thin unplugged but most thinner profile guitars are going to have that problem anyway. A plus side to the laminate is that it won't really affect how it sounds plugged in and a full laminate guitar is much stronger and more stable, making it better suited for traveling or playing outdoors.
  The yamaha apx line looks real good as well. I've never played one so I can't offer many details but I have heard lots of people brag on them. Ovation is also a good choice. They have a thinner neck profile so you may want to try one first but they are great guitars. Excellent plugged in and will probably have a better acoustic tone than most thinner profile guitars, especially in the bass range. They're built tough and handle heavy strumming well. Some people find the bowl back uncomfortable to play, especially while sitting, so ,again, be sure to try one first.
  The Taylors are also great! The models raven suggested would work well for you! Also the Big Baby! They sound remarkably good for a smaller bodied guitar and is a very popular choice for many. I'd also keep my eye out for anything in the Godin line (Seagull, Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, Norman). The folk models with spruce top would be next to the top of my list of recommendations.. Great bang for the buck! A great tone plugged in and they are exceptional acoustically, for this price range.        Okay, I've rambled on enough...:)

These are only MY opinions and everyone has different preferences, So It's always best to try before you buy! That said, a lot of us just don't have that option without several hours drive time. If you're not sure, and are going to order one, I'd suggest considering used! Buying used (online or locally) can save you you a lot of money! This allows you to get more for your money or just get a good deal on the same model and if it doesn't suit you, you can sell it without that initial loss from a new guitar. Maybe even turn a profit... -Pix

Excellent Advice Guitarpix.  smile  My girlfriend has the Taylor Big Baby and loves it!  The one thing my guitar guys said when I traded in my Takamine was this.  At least I bought a solid top in the Takamine.  I'd be nervous buying anything that didn't have at least a solid top to it.  Better sound, IMO, lasts longer and better resale value too.  Boy you've got a big decision to make there Micky.  Can't wait to see what you end up with. 

Cheers
Heather

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

15 (edited by micky the mooch 2009-03-31 16:17:22)

update been looking at a Adam Black o5ce &o7ce aye raven these have a solid top, cant remember what wood it was though. had them in hand, and the sound is fantastic too even to my untrained ear

That's great Micky.  Ohhhhh it's getting exciting now.  wink

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Hey Micky have you tried the Talman series from Ibanez? They have an electric size and set up but are fully hollow like an acoustic. The sound is kind of thin unplugged but when plugged in it does pretty well. Also in the same style is the Fender acoustisonic that does quite nicely. They are worth a look.

Mickey as far a the top wood...I'd try to stay in the spruce family, Sitka preferably if your heavy handed but if you think you might eventually use it for some picking work also you may want to consider Engelmann. Engelmann or adirondack spruce still handles strumming very well but it can be overdrivin and become muddy if it's strummed too heavily. It's more responsive though and will pick better than most sitka tops...  I'd stay away from most ceder tops for strumming. Not only is it a much softer wood and more susceptible to pick marks and such but it "usually" doesn't work very well with a heavier hand. For a stronger bass, I'd consider rosewood as back and sides if it's available in the model you choose... Here you go  http://www.cbguitars.com/woods.htm Give this a good read over! This info is particular helpful when ordering and you're having to guess at the tone of the guitar... Some good advice that guitardocphil often recommends is to check youtube out. Punch in the guitar you're considering and usually you'll get a few vids with reviews and sound samples. That is, If you can't find it locally to try.