Topic: in the garden

hi all, do any of you chordian's have a garden in the yard??   if so what do you like to plant?

curious..   Badeye cool

one caper after another

2 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2009-04-01 03:06:14)

Re: in the garden

I do! And I harvest mainly herbs. ( Sweet Basil, Garlic Chives, Green Onions, Parsley, Cilantro) I do have a few pepper plants , a beautiful papaya tree and a juvenile orange tree( no oranges yet, maybe this summer?!!). I love to attempt to make chutney sauces( sweet & sour, papaya- green onion-pepper- cilantro-olive oil, sea salt- fresh cracked pepper, yummy!), to go along with great fish such as grouper, cobia, spanish mackerel, and red fish  the gulf of mexico has to offer. Also, I have 10 or so pineapple plants in the ground. I've had this one specific plant for over 12 years and this past week, much to my surprise, it's bearing fruit for the very first time!!! It's an agricultural miracle! Think I'll try to get some tomatoes goin this year.

Give everything but up.

Right on Southpaw, great to have a garden, I grow radish, green and yellow beans,tomato,
cukes,zuchini, sweet peas, corn, carrots, potatoes, a few herbs and garlic chives, usually plant the first week in june and harvest sept / oct. Nothing like fresh out of the garden, saves little cash as a bonus as well.

Badeye    cool

one caper after another

I usually have peas, okra, yellow squash, cucumber, cabbage, potatos, and some sort of watermelon or canteloupe.
This year will be the same but adding carrots and maybe butterbeans. I guess you could say the basic southern variety.

I grow grass and moss.
I have a few planters I grow some summer flowers in that my wife leaves to die through lack of water and plant food.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

The back garden where I live is 42 - 43 acres devided among 6 fields.

We grow horses, wild rabbits, badgers, Carrow (roe deer), foxes, lots of hawthorns and brambles.

I live here but it's not mine. Tis rather lovely tho'.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

I have a garden spot broken up but still nothing planted. It's been too wet.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

KajiMa wrote:

The back garden where I live is 42 - 43 acres devided among 6 fields.

We grow horses, wild rabbits, badgers, Carrow (roe deer), foxes, lots of hawthorns and brambles.

I live here but it's not mine. Tis rather lovely tho'.

Priddy,
    How deep do you plant horses and things like that? smilesmile

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Don't know about the horses but the rabbits, foxes and badgers just pop out the ground!

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

I planted a lot of trees and bushes in my new home three years ago.  I watch them closely because I really need the shade in the summer, but that won't be for a year or two more.  I grow peppers and melons if I can keep the gophers away.  I also have a lot of flowers in the summer.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

That's awesome how many music lovers are lovers of gardening too, I've noticed.  We just finished landscaping our new yard last year.  All the big stuff.  Fence, sod, deck, two flagstone patio's, beds etc over the past 2 years.  Last year we planted lots of trees, shrubs and perennials.  I started a little herb garden in a sunny spot.  I have lots of hanging baskets and planters each year with annuals.  And you know Ken you could water your planters if your wife doesn't?  heh heh.....I added a rain barrel last year for all my annuals.  It's great!  I'd like to add more veggies this year.  Nothing like going out to pick your own veg for dinner.  I can't wait for this spring so I can actually just go out and garden.  Enjoy our yard, sit back and watch it grow.  No heavy landscaping.

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

I work at the local golf course on the grounds crew, I have the worst looking lawn on the block.....LOL.....I do however plant tomatos, peppers, hot peppers. I'd like to grow my own herbs, but the local law enforcement frowns upon that. So whenever I need any herb I just make a phone call.....LOL

Watermelons, sqaush, peas,carrots, we start the tomatoes in side. spinach, corn, lettuce, kale. Stuff like that. We also have orchards but their not doing so great.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Not a real garden, but I do plant some tomatoes in those upside down planters and a self watering planter that both work real well. Nothing beats a home grown tomato or my fresh salsa. I can't wait. 

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2590171024_98fb171aac.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTeffSnNJJnwsAHmSjzbkF/SIG=12atkohp3/EXP=1238625874/**http%3A//www.gardeners.com/Content/ProdImages/35-003.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

My yard is too shady...and gravelly for a garden which is a bummer. I just moved in my place a year ago so I'm gonna do some landscaping this summer using compost and I'm gonna buy/build a rain barrel to water my plants.

Even though I don't have a garden, my mom has a huge garden with peas, green beans, potatoes, tomatoes, squash, and sweet corn that I get to "borrow" from every once in awhile. I also help my dad with his 400 acre garden as well! Same concept as gardening...we just use a bigger hoe!

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

I grow tomato's cucumbers, and squash, also I love working in the yard, it's like therapy to me, growing flowers, just gardening in general, I build bird houses, and little things to decorate the yard. I live in the country, and at night, I like building a fire, close to a rock patio I build, have a drink or two and play my guitar, my beautiful wife and I really enjoy it.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

topdown wrote:

Not a real garden, but I do plant some tomatoes in those upside down planters and a self watering planter that both work real well. Nothing beats a home grown tomato or my fresh salsa. I can't wait. 

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/259 … 171aac.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTeffSnNJJn … 35-003.jpg

Awesome Jeff!!! I'm gonna get me some of those bad boys. ( upside down 'mater growers)  What a great idea! The squirrels and fruit rats undoubtedly hate this new concept.......hahaha on 'em

Give everything but up.

Hey Crowellb,

I can relate to that "Same concept as gardening...we just use a bigger hoe!" LOL

Not as big here but going up and down with a chain harrow towed by a crusty old tractor is rather Zen, problems disappear as you try and hold the line and not be distracted by the wildlife or the beauty of the countryside.

Can't grow much tho' 'cept brambles, hawthorns and grass. No, not that kind but for hay and haylage.

Altho' we're in the heart of the Westcountry (a quarter of a mile or less and you can look down on Glastonbury Tor) we're a thousand feet up and our growing season starts a month after places less than 3 miles away and finishes a month earlier, so by the time you've started to get things going they are harvesting, then ours die from cold.

We do get wonderful mushrooms in September/October.... and of all varieties... so people tell me!

Great replies, I knew there would be other gardeners here at chordie.

Lime your ground early and your plants will love it.

Badeye  cool

one caper after another

20 (edited by KajiMa 2009-04-02 11:42:52)

It had to grow somewhere

http://www.dailypicture.co.uk/images/funny/f_DnatjM83Sl.jpg

Well God made Oregon for growing things...  we have about 3/4 of an acre of tillable pasturage which in the past has produced enough variety to not only feed two families but most of the wildlife hereabouts.  This year with the economy as it is, the old adage "waste not want not" will likely come forcefully into play.  The wildlife that fattens on my gardening efforts might well find itself in the food chain. LOL

It is still early for plowing as it has been wet and still freezing most nights.  The fruit trees are starting to bloom, which will hamper the yield again this season as the pollenators (bees) are not out in force.  Our little orchard has several varieties of apple, pear, cherry, and plums, some hazelnuts, a walnut, and more weeds than I can kill in a weekend.  Trimmed up the rose garden last weekend and some things are looking fine.... but a lot of effort yet to be made before the barbeque season starts.  It's been too rainy to mow effectively, so if it doesn't dry out a bit soon I will enlist the neighbors sheep to trim the overgrowth a little.... two weeks of suffocks and romneys saves several gallons of motor fuel!

Remember the Victory Gardens!?!

Take Care All;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

i grow weeds!! though i cant remember planting any:(

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Hows about this  wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKym33vK1cs

I plant stuff with my kids every year.  I think it's a great way to teach them about nature.  We have a particular space as a garden, and some landscaping beds.  Our "garden" is always a disaster, but my kids are proud of it.  I think it's a good way to teach them about stewardship as well.  They learn that if they don't water it, or weed it, that the plants wither or the 'wrong' plants grow.  My kids have not quite gotten the concept of 'wrong' plants yet, though, so I often have to go weed it again after they're done. 

Sage has absolutely taken over the garden.  It's half the space now.  We'll be digging up some of it this year and cutting the rest back a LOT. 

Speaking of which, it's about time to plant.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

25 (edited by RavenLady 2009-04-02 13:54:00)

Doug_Smith wrote:

Well God made Oregon for growing things...  we have about 3/4 of an acre of tillable pasturage which in the past has produced enough variety to not only feed two families but most of the wildlife hereabouts.  This year with the economy as it is, the old adage "waste not want not" will likely come forcefully into play.  The wildlife that fattens on my gardening efforts might well find itself in the food chain. LOL

It is still early for plowing as it has been wet and still freezing most nights.  The fruit trees are starting to bloom, which will hamper the yield again this season as the pollenators (bees) are not out in force.  Our little orchard has several varieties of apple, pear, cherry, and plums, some hazelnuts, a walnut, and more weeds than I can kill in a weekend.  Trimmed up the rose garden last weekend and some things are looking fine.... but a lot of effort yet to be made before the barbeque season starts.  It's been too rainy to mow effectively, so if it doesn't dry out a bit soon I will enlist the neighbors sheep to trim the overgrowth a little.... two weeks of suffocks and romneys saves several gallons of motor fuel!

Remember the Victory Gardens!?!

Take Care All;
Doug

Doug, we're in the same situation in Alberta.  We've still got lots of snow on the ground.  It's been a long cold, snowy winter here this year.  And our springs are usually long and wet.  They say to plant my Sweet Peas (package instructions) in April as soon as the ground thaws.  Yea, right!  I can't even see the ground yet!

But yes I remember the Victory Garden on PBS.  Used to watch it every weekend.  That along with This Old House.  smile  Thanks for the memory.

P.S.  Zurf that's wonderful that you're instilling those values in your kids.  Way to go! 

Cheers
Heather

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez