Topic: Hi There: An Introduction

Hi all,

I'm new to forums and received the advice to 'lurk,' watch and learn for a while AFTER jumping in with both feet. The same friend also said to introduce myself to other members, so here goes.

I've used Chordie as my first port of call for finding songs for years but joined up because I need help finding "Tell Me There's A Heaven" by Chris Rea which I've searched for for years and even tried buying with no joy.

I've been playing the guitar for so long now I think about lying as it makes me seem much older than I am - 32 years. I have two guitars, both electro acoustic the main one being a Faith Natural Venus - she's called Carenza and I'm besotted; the best guitar I've ever owned!!!

I finger pick with my own nails (bust the slow growing thumbnail during last Monday's gig) but also use a pick (which I'll have to stick with for a while). I market myself as "Acoustic Folk/Rock" but play everything from Bach through Cole Porter, Duke Ellington and Charles Trenet to Floyd and Queen. I have plenty of traditional English, Irish, Scottish and Cornish folk too.

I also sing. I've been singing since before I knew the words and took up the guitar to be able to accompany myself. During the '80s and '90s I used to earn my living by gigging all over the South West.

I'm a Producer/Engineer and used to train 3rd year engineering degree students for a Bristol University. I invented a technique that meant that anyone with music software could have multiband processing the bands of which are limited only by the number of simultaneous tracks they could play; I wrote an article for Sound On Sound about it to share it with the world. I've also helped make a couple of people here in the UK household names with my recordings of them.

I got majorly stiffed by the Gov't on a project that everyone said they loved, everyone said was needed but no-one would stump up the money for. The then Environment Minister called Michael Meacher agreed to champion the project and made a statement on national TV about my project just before the Jo'berg Summit in '02 saying how much better value my project was; after the summit he got fired as Environment Minister and I lost my home due to the on-going investment I was encouraged to keep making - it was a couple of years later that I found out what was really going on.

I kept all my recording equipment although it has been kept in boxes for the last few years but there are some exciting developments I don't want to jinx by talking about - yet.

I've had to go back to gigging since losing my home and business, but this has been really positive as I've really enhanced my repertoire to the point where if I began playing and didn't stop between songs (which I would have to) I have over 4 1/2 hours of material!

I also teach guitar from time to time. My claim to fame with this is that one young student (8 years old) after being with me for a couple of months coached her non-musical older (12 or 13)brother for his end of year music exam and he got 86%!

I should have as a motto "On an even field, only talent prevails" but I've been on the receiving end of multi-multi-million pound per year QuANGOs making sure the field isn't even. Nevertheless, if I can help anyone out there with playing or recording probs I'd be glad to help!

On a personal level I live on a 42 acre farm (not mine and now only horses) in the village where I grew up. I shoot Longbow/Warbow (which presented some problems with my picking fingers which I overcame) and do clout shooting at over 120 metres which is my passion but music and audio is my life!!!

To end where I came in as a newbie to forums, I probably missed the thread I should've joined for this introduction, but hope you will forgive my ignorance and extend me some patience and understanding.

To you all I say "Gans pup bollonjeth oll da" and keep playing! ;-)

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Re: Hi There: An Introduction

Greetings KajiMa, and Welcome to the group!

You do seem to have much experience in all aspects of music and production, and your comments and advise I am sure would be welcomed.  Do not be shy, many will benefit from your knowledge, and all are appreciative of constructive commentary.

Thanks for making yourself known, and I'm looking forward to reading your future postings.

Take Care, and Welcome Aboard!

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Yes Kaj i second what doug's just said, us novices need all the advice we can get.. and its brill comparing different opinions.
Once again Welcome to Chordie

Micky

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

welcome to Chordie kajiMa very interesting post what country is purddy in im not to familar with this location smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

5 (edited by KajiMa 2009-04-25 14:22:11)

Thanks Doug, Micky and Russell for the welcomes.

The great thing about music and audio is that it's a never ending journey with always more to learn. If I ever thought I'd arrived, that would be the time to stop. And, moreover, I signed up because I need help - that says it all!!!

Priddy is the actual centre of the known universe, Russell ;-) everyone who comes here comes back. Type XX degrees 15 minutes north and XX degrees 40.8 minutes west into a satellite map and you will be looking at the roof under which I'm writing this! (It's the UK, by the way). Priddy is in fact the oldest continually inhabited settlement in the country - we've had people living here continuously for over 10,000 years (if you saw some of the locals you'd believe some of the original inhabitants were still here)! We had lead mines here since before the Romans came and Priddy lead was found in Pompeii! Joseph of Aramathea came here, that's fact, he was a trader in lead and tin, what is legend is that he brought his nephew with him during the ages when he wasn't written about in the bible. Even though that is legend, records that go back over 900 years in Wells Cathedral state that our village church was built on the site where jesus slept and "That's as true as Jesus walked in Priddy," was a common saying less than 80 years ago.

Music, Geography AND History - can't be bad. Here endeth the lesson.

Great to be aboard, thanks for the greetings and I'll keep it music/audio from here........unless asked ;-)

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Welcome, KajiMa.  A great introduction, by the way.  I feel I know you already.  Hand around, there's lots to do here, as you already know.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Jings! I knew I should've done Cornish at school.

Sowyn!

Al V

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Thanks Bensonp and Alvee33 (Ha sos, BTW),

You know that Kernuak and Gaelic share many similar words, original Brythonic languages - great stuff and well spotted.

I should have said on my intro that I've been playing the guitar for >32 years - it looked like I was stating my age!

Cum giotar A'cluiche (hope that's correct Alvee)

Slan leat!

9 (edited by arkady 2009-03-30 16:58:52)

Hi KajiMa
Welcome to Chordie phew! Quite an introduction. As a lurker you will Know this is a great site for all things guitar and lots more....
Hope you stick around.
Ark

**edited for missing letter 30/3/09**

Hi Kajima,

Great first post, I enjoyed reading that.

welcome to the forum. Looks like you could be called upon a few times for your experience.

Do you post anything on myspace or youtube?

All the best

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

KajiMa wrote:

Thanks Bensonp and Alvee33 (Ha sos, BTW),

You know that Kernuak and Gaelic share many similar words, original Brythonic languages - great stuff and well spotted.

I should have said on my intro that I've been playing the guitar for >32 years - it looked like I was stating my age!

Cum giotar A'cluiche (hope that's correct Alvee)

Slan leat!

Hee hee... Ok you found me out. I looked it up and found a list of Cornish phrases. And while I'm in the confessional.... I don't speak Gaelic either. Which is a shame because the Celtic languages all sound extremely beautiful when spoken. Or even written.

I'm willing to guess your reply was something along the lines of - Hail the guitarist, cheers yourself. But I'm probably well off.

Very nice to have you here.

Welcome.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Welcome aboard Kajima,

It's always great to have someone aboard who is so schooled as yourself, us beginners are always looking for tips, hints and tricks from, so as old man Darlin use to say "just jump in and hang on"

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Hey Arkady, Ken, Zurf and Ken (Cam) [Please tell me if it's politic to use online name or if this is OK],

Wow! So many responses, I hope I can live up to your kind words of greeting and welcome.

No I've never done the Myspace or Youtube thang; I know plenty of people who do and it works for them. I extend an invitation to all Moderators to send me an E-missive and I will attach some Showreel excerpts by return.

It's a shame that I don't have much guitar stuff on it, only in the mix here and there.

I did a soundtrack for the BBC and the composer/musician (lovely, lovely Taylor, BTW) came to me rather than use his own studio. I mic'd and DI'd the guitar to get that depth of mix (if I had my way I'd've just mic'd) but monitoring through cans he elected to hear only the DI as he wasn't used to the mic'd sound through wires. As time was an issue I was listening to the same rather than setting myself up my own mix.

As it was a long piece (10 - 15 minutes) he said if he made a mistake he would stop and to keep rolling for him to pick it up again and continue.

After soundchecking and letting him hear the results (confidence) we went for it and both said to do the editing from the same take. Unfortunately there was a horrendous UURRRGGGH of his hand down the back of the neck that neither of us heard because of above. I couldn't drop out and back because of tonal discrepancies so worked with the DI sound to make it sound as acoustic as possible.

Not knowing what the BBC wanted I did Mix 1 EQ and normalised, 2 EQ and Compression, 3 EQ, Comp and 'verb.

Pro burning should always be done at no more than 2x so as it was for the Beeb I did it at 1x!

He was in and out with master CD within 5 hours!

At some point in the future, when I can access that computer again, it will be good to hear it and see if it stands and then I can send Moderators and good friends that too.

Meantime, if your inclined do the above and I'll send what I can!

Oh, BTW Alvee and Ken, do you still get Riverside up there?

And can anyone tell me if attachments can be sent by these utilities or if one has to go via what I said above? I would like to respond to RavenLady (nothing personal) about my experiences and it would be good if she heard the root of it (it's music!).

I'm really getting into this forum and looking forward to the future with Chordie!!!

Rudh hag Owr means Reds and Golds the highest scores in archery and my personal wish for the best!

Riverside? In what context?

alvee33 wrote:

Riverside? In what context?

Down by the?

It's a great place to go if you've got a heavy load.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

TV Cop Drama, Riverside, not studying that good old way, load aint that heavy the mo.

I'm not familiar with it, but I don't really watch a lot of tv. I sometimes wonder if my tv has any more channels other than Disney. My daughter watches it ALL THE TIME. Same shows repeated day after day. There's only so much Hannah Montana a man can take. And as for Zack and Cody! They drive me insane. Or as they're known in my house, Jack n Boaby (Glasgow pronounciation of Bobby).

Youyube search for Riverside coming up.....

Hey KajiMa.  Welcome!  Impressive Chops.  smile

Cheers
RavenLady

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Welcome Kajima smile It looks that you have been around music for a while. I'm sure you will be a great help here on Chordie forum.

Hey Dwayne and Heather (bit late as I've already E-mailed you back!),

Thanks for the welcome. If I couldn't find songs to live inside of I would've been dead long ago.

Sorry Al, not Riverside but River City - Doh!

22 (edited by KajiMa 2009-03-31 18:49:52)

Al, BTW "Cum giotar A'cluiche" should be "Keep playing the guitar" if sentence construction is the same in Scots Gaelic!

And I had to look that up too!!!

River City is still going but I've never watched it. Should I?

Sorry Alvee,

I Uggard Bup.

I was trying to look clever and swing to a prog one of my discoveries was in; he's been in loads and loads of stuff, but checking his biog for this it was only a 1 or 2 episode part and it was made a lot more of when it was impending - must be a good agent.