Topic: Good acoustic guitar pickup

Hello all,

Just want some input on acoustic guitar pickup.

I have a Guild d25 and I'm looking into buy a pickup.
Money is tight for me now tho, any sugestions on what to look for?
Thanks

2 (edited by Doug_Smith 2009-04-28 00:20:25)

Re: Good acoustic guitar pickup

Greetings and Welcome to Chordie!

There are a bunch of options available depending on budget and if you want to have on board electronics (preamp) or something passive.  My fellow guitarist Jeff has a Taylor that we took down and had a piezoelectric put in and it works oustandingly but is passive.  It consisted of three transducers that superglue inside under the bridge in between each pair of strings and are connected to a strap-pin/plug assembly which replaces the existing strap-pin after the hole is bored to the proper diameter.  Don't recall the brand name but cost something like $65.00 installed and restrung.  I called the store that installed Jeff's pickup and came up with additional information:  http://www.kksound.com/purewestern.html

Just knew the darn things were built over on the Coast near Coos Bay!  But the price has doubled! 

I'd be visiting your local guitar shop and see what options are available.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

lennycorn wrote:

Hello all,

Just want some input on acoustic guitar pickup.

I have a Guild d25 and I'm looking into buy a pickup.
Money is tight for me now tho, any sugestions on what to look for?
Thanks

Check out the B-Band systems I put one inmy Guild F45-CE.

Good Luck

Bootlegger.

Hi Guys ,
   Don't see much talk about Guilds on here , L O L ... I'm a Guild nut ... I have a '99 F65ce , a '97 F30nt and a '65 F30 in my small collection ... All sweet guitars .. I use the '97 F30nt sometimes playing out so decided to install a pickup on that one ... I installed a Fishman under saddle with end pin jack , works good and did'nt really change the guitar from original ... I use the same stand alone preamp with it that I use for my fiddles .... In my opinion it sounds better than the F65ce plugged in ...Even though the F65ce has the onboard blender too ........
                    Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

5 (edited by dfoskey 2009-04-08 13:29:15)

The shadow doubleplay looks really good if you want a duel pickup system with built in blend controls. I wouldn't go with any sound hole mounted pick up because they tend to pick up alot of body sounds as in taps and bumps that hinder the resonance of the strings.
By the way welcome to chordie.:)

I'm with Bootlegger, I just put a B-Band in one of my guitars and WOW! It makes my other guitars sound wimpy.

Later, Wayne P

I recently bought a Dean Markley Pro Mag and was a little dissappointed. It makes my 12 string Alvarez sound a little like a banjo. I've tried different positions in the sound hole and it just doesn't capture the lows the way I had hoped. It is the single coil version, perhaps the humbucker version would be better.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Hi Lennycorn , and welcome to Chordie ... Forgot to mention before ...
   My little bro plays a Guild D-4 and uses my Dean Markley Pro-Mag when he plays with us and it sounds sweet ... He loves it and there's nothing lacking in tone .........
                  Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Thanks for the replys.

I also founds this site. It list all types of pick ups tho.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi … tar+Pickup

Just to re-emphasize what GSE said,   the dean markley pro mag is probably the easiest and cheapest way to amplify your acoustic.  This pickup is great, especially if you don't wish to alter your guitar in any way.  My only complaint is what to do with the chord that hangs out of it.  I have taped mine to the lower bout but I'm not fond of this option. On the other hand, it produces a very authentic acoustic tone.  If you're on a limited budget or hate the thought of drilling holes in your prized acoustic,  try the Dean pickup first.  Other companies produce more expensive options that are similar in design, but I can't hear the difference.  Give it go and see what you think.

Now available in 5G !

Hi All ,
   Hey tandm3 , whenever someone at our jams uses my Pro Mag , I always take the cord , pull it straight down between the treble and bass bout and then loop it around and back out above the strap button on the lower bout ... That's what I do with my electrics also ... That way if I happen to step on the cord , it can't pull out or damage the jack ...
                Jerry