Topic: Speaker Amplifiers

For a Four Track Cassette Recorder, I need an amplifier due to the speakers I hooked directly to the recorder. Any ideas for a cheap and small one?
cool danspr

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

Re: Speaker Amplifiers

Howdy danspr,

Let's see if I have this right.... you plugged some auxiliary speakers into your recorder? and the output is inadequate?

If that is the case I would guess that the speakers you connected are from a home stereo unit, and likely are 16 Ohm, depending on what kind of cassette you have, they might be looking for something in the 4-8 Ohm class.  Too high a resistance in the speakers and you won't get hardly any output even at full volume.... not enough power to drive the coils and all that.  Now if you were to take that same little recorder (or CD walkman for that matter) and connect it  to the aux input on your home stereo from the speaker out plug.... Problem solved, as your home stereo amp has ample power to drive it's own speakers.  You just have to watch for excessive volume output from the cassette overdriving the aux input on the stereo.

I may be on the wrong track here, but more info in your question would get a better answer.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug it could be the 4 track has no internal amplifier and needs a slave to provide the power for outputing the audio,there are inexpensive stereo amps with speaker hookups that should do the job and im just guessing as you say more information would be helpful smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I concur, but what to use?
cool danspr

Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

Alesis M1Active 320 Usb's. Check them out; they are very versatile for under 100.00 US $. The have multiple inputs. Very Flexible and they sound great.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

This may sound funny but there are amplifiers for sale that are used at resale shops these have been donated and Ive seen good brand name amps with multiple speaker and auxiliary inputs for recorders or turntables, mp3 players that sell for less then 40 dollars, all you really need is a source of power to drive the recorder and hook the speakers up to, you can purchase a new one but if money is short I would go with a good used one. Geoaguiar also gave a good solution it really comes down to how much you can afford to spend,also try and find one with a graphic equalizer so you can adjust the highs,lows and mid range frequencies smile

danspr wrote:

I concur, but what to use?
cool danspr

I'm pretty cheap, so i think i will get a used one. Thanks, russell
cool danspr

Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

im cheap to and I saw a  sony amp with all the speaker and inputs for recorders at a used shop for 30 dollars so there are a few out there because people are upgrading and donating there old equipment to stores run by st vincent de paul or other used stores smile

danspr wrote:

I'm pretty cheap, so i think i will get a used one. Thanks, russell
cool danspr