Topic: For Recording Virgins

Most of you know that I do tend to try and encourage members to record their songs for everyone to hear but it goes further than that so this is directed to all and not just to songwriters as recording, and being able to carefully listen to what you have done, is also a very good teaching tool.

Equipment needed:

You will need a microphone and getting the best you can afford is always a good policy as your recordings will be clearer with less background noise by having a quality mic.

You will need software to record to and Audacity is a good one to use as not only is it free, but Russell has put some tutorials up on MediaFire to help you get to grips with recording using it.

You can use your microphone to record your instrument but it is better, if you are able, to use a cable to plug directly in as you will not pick up any background noise this way.

Getting Started:

Standing in front of a microphone is just as nerve racking as performing in front of an audience, so being on edge is normal. It does get easier with time but the nerves tend to give you that little bit extra and can actually lead to a better performance.

Your recorded voice will sound strange. Most people do not like their own voice the first time they hear it, this is because we are used to hearing ourselves internally and not just with our ears. Don't worry, you do not sound half as bad to others as you think you do.

Arrange time to yourself without the distractions of "she who must be obeyed" (or "he" as the case may be), children, pets and telephones. Warn everyone what you are doing and ask them to keep noise down as much as possible during your session.

Recording:

It is far easier to record separate tracks and mix them later to get the balance right. It is also easier to edit a single track if you have made an error. You are also able to put your full concentration on playing and later the same with your singing. Do not forget to save often as a power cut or crash can lose you all your hard work.

Count yourself in before you start playing and record you first guitar part. Do not stop if you make a mistake as you can insert a 'silence' in place of the error, re-record the wrong part and then mix the two to become a flawless recording.

Record a second guitar part which can be played the same or different style (ie fingerpicking) to the original. (Now you see why I said to count yourself in - you know exactly when to start playing). Pan one recording, say 50 or 60%, to the left and the other to the right and give yourself a treat by listening to what you have achieved. The two instruments coming from different places sound very different to just one.

Then comes the part you have probably been apprehensive about. Record your vocals. Again do not worry if you make a mistake you can correct small errors just the same as you can with the guitar playing and if it is very bad well, what the heck, you can always do the whole thing again. Leave the lead vocals panned in the centre.

Once you are happy with the lead vocals you can add further tracks of harmonies, ooohs, aahs or even singing the same as the lead. Pan these tracks to the left or right to create a fuller sound.

Mixing:

Now you need to listen to your recording and make final adjustments to the volume and panning making sure that backing vocals are slightly lower in volume than the lead and that the guitar playing is not drowning out the vocals.. When you are happy, select all and mix the tracks. You can now remove your count in and add a couple of seconds silence to the start of it. You can then export the finished recording as a MP3 compressed file that you can upload to MySpace etc., send it in a e-mail to friends or just keep it to listen where improvements can be made or as a yardstick to see how you have improved at a later date.

Links:

Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Russell’s Tutorials: http://www.mediafire.com/russellharding

I hope you find this helpful, and please post any questions or comments here. However experienced or inexperienced we can all help each other by sharing ideas, tips and pitfalls.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: For Recording Virgins

Thank you Roger for the good information and for anyone just starting out and thinking about recording there first song and after all these years I still get a little edgy when standing in front of a microphone but that usually go's away after the first few bars and then I settle down and listen to each track and see if I can improve it. Recording is important and having a good microphone is essential but the proof in the pudding is in mixing and the more you work with different effects and how to pan tracks or bounce them the better your recording will sound and the audacity series covers a lot of these editing procedures and that is there purpose to make it easier for anyone just starting out with recording to advance there knowledge and put out a better sounding song and thanks again Roger for posting this smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, every time I go there I get an error!
                                                                                                  getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Hi Getfiddle,

I have just checked both the links in my original post and the one on Russ's signature and I was able to get into to both Mediafire and Audacity with no problems. Perhaps others can try and see if they have problems too.

By the way is it Mediafire or Audacity you are having a problem with and what is the error message you are getting please?

Sorry I cannot offer more help at the moment.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi getfiddle.

Both links opened up for me OK.
Sorry I can't help you out more. I'm sure someone here can. smile

Kap

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

It must be your server both links work are you able to link to my mediafire? or just sourceforge or neither?

getfiddle wrote:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, every time I go there I get an error!
                                                                                                  getfiddle

It must be on my end then, cause I get a 404 error when I try to open it. I just tried it again before
replying back and I got the same 404 error. I'll keep trying till I figure it out. I'll try IE and see if
that works. I just upgraded Firefox and to be honest, I'm just not impressed with it at all. I'll let
you know how that works.
                                getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

OK, It must be Firefox, cause it opened up in IE. Sorry, didn't mean to cause a panic. BTW Russell, I really enjoy your instructionals on Audacity. I also have cubebase, but I can't seem to figure it
out, even when I read the instructions. But Audacity is easier to understand, so I'll use it.
                                                                                                                             getfiddle

Im glad you got that sorted out and thanks for your comment on the tutorials. By the way cubebase sounds like a music editing program and as I type one of my associates is researching
cubebase he just informed me by google talk that it is made by stienberg and it is audio mastering recording software and it is not free and we are very cheap on chordie and refuse to pay for anything over $0 it is our intention to make sound recording available for everyone for nothing (or next to nothing) and my research team has furthur informed me you get cubebase LE4 with the digitec RP350 multi effects modeling processor,and the cubebase 4 additon software by itself is $199.95 thats 159.95 euro for our neighbors across the pond so Freeeeeeeeee is the way to go lol

I agree free is the way to go. This came with the sound card I bought at Guitar Center. But I do
have Audacity also and I really like it. I also have a really good sensitive set of recording mics.
So sensitive that I'm gonna have to build a sound booth just to use them. Lets just say that I set
one up at my girlfriends place and with the headphones on we heard a tree frog outside!! And the
windows were closed. That's sensitive!!
                                                 getfiddle

Getfiddle are you saying you were at your girlfriends place listining to tree frogs? hmmm "well I think you may be spending to much time on your computer" lol

getfiddle wrote:

I agree free is the way to go. This came with the sound card I bought at Guitar Center. But I do
have Audacity also and I really like it. I also have a really good sensitive set of recording mics.
So sensitive that I'm gonna have to build a sound booth just to use them. Lets just say that I set
one up at my girlfriends place and with the headphones on we heard a tree frog outside!! And the
windows were closed. That's sensitive!!
                                                 getfiddle

Russell,
I actually had it hooked up to a 4-track, but could not record because the mic was to sensitive. So
we listened to nature. I think the next time we get a really nasty storm I'm gonna set it up and
record some awsome sound effects!
                                               getfiddle

Guys thanks for the advice. Now reading this a question came to mind...

Is mentioned in the original post that if I were to record an instrument is best if I plug it to the computer through the pick up. Now I don't yet have the pleasure of owning an electric guitar so my recordings are limited to my acoustic, so I wonder if using a pick up instead of a mic to record the acoustic guitar would give me less background noise. Has any of you experimented with this?

If I were you, I wouldn't have a problem with the kids in school...

Hi Deedee,

Yes using the pickup does reduce the background noise in your recording.  The other option is to use a directional microphone fairly close to the guitar.  I think Russell actually uses a Shure Sm57 for that task, but there are sound barriers that you can attach to your mic stand that helps as well (although the good ones are not cheap).
  Another thing to consider if you were thinking about adding a pickup to your guitar for that purpose, is the type of pickup.  Some are piezo-electric contact pickups that glue directly to the bridge inside the guitar, and some are magnetic that clamp across the sound hole.  Both are good, and give nice sounds although the magnetic pickups render a more "electric" sound.

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi and thanks for all the great info...I just have a question or 2 because with all the info out there it tends to get a little confusing. I just want to record my acoustic and my vocals, possibly a harmonica. I downloaded audacity and I am looking into getting a USB or Firewire interface. My question is will the interface cut out all that hissing I used to get when I tried going through my old pc's soundcard? and do I go to the interface from an acoustic amp or straight from my guitars electronics? I appreciate everything you all post on this sight, thanks again.

Hi Quarters,

You should be able to go direct to the sound card via either the mic in or line in plug. Usually the line in works best if you have an on-board preamp, but if the pickup is passive the mic will do nicely.  Just remember to select the input type in the Audacity toolbar on the drop-down menu, and adjust the input volume to reduce clipping.

For vocals and acoustic only inputs I use my stage mics through a small tube preamp with an output limiter to prevent overdriving the sound card.

Have fun with it!
Doug

PS:  I see you have been around here awhile, nice to see you posting.... hope to hear more from you.  DS

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

quarters wrote:

Hi and thanks for all the great info...I just have a question or 2 because with all the info out there it tends to get a little confusing. I just want to record my acoustic and my vocals, possibly a harmonica. I downloaded audacity and I am looking into getting a USB or Firewire interface. My question is will the interface cut out all that hissing I used to get when I tried going through my old pc's soundcard? and do I go to the interface from an acoustic amp or straight from my guitars electronics? I appreciate everything you all post on this sight, thanks again.

Hi quarters
Welcome to the Forum
I think you will need a pre amp on the accoustic side before you go to the interface an electric will probally plug straight in to the interface without a preamp same for a mic.
As you are going in to your computer via the interface and the recording/playback will be through your soundcard and if the hissing is down to your card it will probally be still be there.
If it's not the soundcard then an interface might do the trick but it's really trial and error.
Some sort of interface is always good to have as it allows you have different sound inputs plugged in and only uses one input to your computer.
ark

Hi thanks to both of you for your quick reply. I hope to get something set up soon so I'll see how it goes.

I've been spending my free time working through the Reaper manual, and editing some of the recordings that I make on my MR-8.   I've been using Reason for a while, and it's great for creating digital music, and the interface is absolutely unsurpassed, but for editing raw music files, it's less than stellar.   

And while I don't think it's quite up to Protools standards, it is absolutely appropriate for what I'm doing with it, particularly at it's price point.     I'm using "Thursday's Child" as my gunea pig.  So far, so good.

http://www.reaper.fm/

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

20 (edited by deadstring 2009-04-07 02:44:53)

I've been working on my first CD for family and friends.I finally got 12 tracks the way I wanted them and saved to the computer. They sound good and very clear when I listen to them. Then I decided to put them on a disk. When this step was completed I played the disk. I hear a pulsating swishing sound in nearly every track. What am I doing wrong and how do I correct it? All replies appreciated! (I used Nero to burn with)

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

You could try useing windows media player to burn a disk and see if the problem still exists if it dose then its internal if not then the nero program is the problem smile

Russ I don't know what the problem was but I did what you suggested (kind of)! I made a disk with Media Player and it came out fine. Then I got curious and tried making copies using Nero. I made a dozen and they all came out fine.  Not sure yet what the problem was at first. Thanks.  AL

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Ghosts in the motherboard lol

I just did it...I broke down and splurged on a zoom H4n. We'll see how it goes when my order gets here!

quarters I checked it out it sure is compact I dont know what you had to pay for it the one I looked at was around 300 on sale,when you get it let us know so we can give a listen smile

quarters wrote:

I just did it...I broke down and splurged on a zoom H4n. We'll see how it goes when my order gets here!