Topic: Studio Monitor Response Frequencies

Low E on a bass is around 40Hz.  Most affordable studio monitors have a response curve from ~50-60Hz.

Is this going to be a big deal, or am I going to hear a difference?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Re: Studio Monitor Response Frequencies

Hi Jerome,

You and I likely wouldn't hear the difference.... wrong gender!  We males cannot recognize very low and very high frequencies well anyway, and it gets worse with age.  The ladies on the other hand have a wider range of hearing than us and maybe that's why my wife says I sing like crap, when I think otherwise. LOL

In most cases the low response won't hamper you on stage as monitors go, in the studio though I tend to favor a quality headset that has a very precise frequency response and good noise damping for use while mixing.  They can get spendy too, but don't take the beating a pair of monitors will hauling in and out of the van.... just hang on the hook until really needed.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Jerome I agree with Doug the difference will be negligible just keep an eye on the input volume and you should be ok,looking forward to hearing your new one smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

These aren't stage monitors.  Ours get thrashed, which is why we don't spend a whole lot of money on 'em.  So long as I can hear the vocal mix on stage, I'm generally content with a stage monitor.

I've had a mild case of GAS for recording and mixing stuff.  Sweet Irish Thing is coming in a few days to buy furniture for the house.  She's also buying a TV, so my master plan is to convince her that so long as we're sporting for the Stoopid Box, we may as well get some nice *cough*speakers*cough* and call it an entertainment center.   big_smile

If you can convince the lady(and I'm sure you will find a way lol ) that sounds like a good plan,once you have recorded playback should be no problem I use some logitech PC speakers I paid $25 for and the bass comes out fine so long as you dont crank the p*** out of um, and with decent speakers it oughta sound great smile

jerome.oneil wrote:

These aren't stage monitors.  Ours get thrashed, which is why we don't spend a whole lot of money on 'em.  So long as I can hear the vocal mix on stage, I'm generally content with a stage monitor.

I've had a mild case of GAS for recording and mixing stuff.  Sweet Irish Thing is coming in a few days to buy furniture for the house.  She's also buying a TV, so my master plan is to convince her that so long as we're sporting for the Stoopid Box, we may as well get some nice *cough*speakers*cough* and call it an entertainment center.   big_smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

If you can convince the lady(and I'm sure you will find a way lol ) that sounds like a good plan,once you have recorded playback should be no problem I use some logitech PC speakers I paid $25 for and the bass comes out fine so long as you dont crank the p*** out of um, and with decent speakers it oughta sound great smile

jerome.oneil wrote:

I've got some Logitech too, and they sound like crap.  I over drive the snot out of 'em, even if all I'm doing is playing the acoustic through the Amp.

Looks like you really need some good speakers make sure they have a sub woofer to handle the low freq's and rattle the dishes lol

Alesis M1 Active 320's? About 100.00 pretty nice sound.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

sounds like the price is right geo and alesis makes good products I have a drum machine SR-16 by them very reliable smile

I just got them last week but they are pretty darn good for the money. The can be powered by USB (although I have not tried) and have multiple inputs instead of just the traditional PC 35mm one. I've been using them with my Line 6 POD for a easy to carry around practice amp.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

11 (edited by KajiMa 2009-04-02 11:46:25)

Mackie HR 824s are flat (within 1.5dB) from all the way up at 22.5KHz way down to 39Hz - thats flatter than the Netherlands, East Anglia and the salt flats of the US combined!!!

Anyway, in the mix, 60Hz is Kick energy, Bass Guitar energy is higher. If you're being recorded, the engineer/prod might have put a (not too) low cut filter on the Mic/Preamp/DI/etc. Don't forget your £15/$30 computer speakers which have probably dropped off 3, 5 even 10 dB by 100Hz will still let you hear the lower bass and the even lower kick.

DON'T MONITOR TOO LOUD - This will irrepairably damage your hearing; same with being both sides of the stage and Discos. It breaks down to whether you want to do what it takes to make you sound brilliant or get someone in (at some point) to make you sound brilliant for you.

Take care of your hearing!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Well, I managed to score the 42" flat screen, but no monitors.  sad

bummer when do you think you will have those? I know what I did I got a setup with 5 speakers and a woofer for 40 bucks at walmart and it sounds great!  There made by durabrand its called the home entertainment center just run a Y chord from the headphone jack to the system the Y chord you need had one 1/8 in sterio plug running to two rca jacks they plug into the main woofer left and right and they will surprise you believe me its a good bang for the bucks smile

jerome.oneil wrote:

Well, I managed to score the 42" flat screen, but no monitors.  sad