Topic: 60ties+70ties artists versus today

One thing I can't understand is the difference in "the making" of an album.
Take THE BEATLES: It is impossible to imagine how many records they made in 7 years.
Albums:
1963 Please Please Me AND With the Beatles
1964 A Hard Day's Night AND Beatles for Sale
1965 Help AND Rubber Soul
1966 REVOLVER and A COMPILATION.
1967 Sergeant Pepper AND Magical Mistery Tour
1968 The White Album
1969 Yellow Submarine AND Abbey Road
1970 Let It Be because they had to bring out an album.
TOTAL RECORDS FROM 1963 - 1970 = 13

Why and how was this possible to make some of the greatest songs, using some effects and in this SHORT period, a period who gives the impression that it last for 20 years.
Why do all these bands like Radiohead, Coldplay so much time to "give birth" to a new album?

THE ROLLING STONES= 17 albums (compilations included: 17 albums) from 1964 to 1970
CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A DECENT REASON?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: 60ties+70ties artists versus today

Good question Lieven.

I think artists just want to milk as much as they can these days.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Oh, the times, they are a changin'

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Maybe part of the reason it takes today's artist's so much longer to do an album is a few things. 

A:  In the 60's and 70's, even 80's everything was new.  New style of music, instruments and recording techniques.  So everyone felt that they were bringing something new to the table and didn't have to do something new, it all was!
B:  There's too much technology now.  Artist's use the studio more than ever.  And the editing after the actual recording probably takes longer than the recording itself.
C:  Everything's been done, so they're all trying to bring a new "sound" to the table. 

You know what stikes me as odd about today's artist's and how they get a recording deal is this.  Back in the good ole days, a band or artist had to play live to get their chops and pay their dues before they were even considered for a recording deal.  So when they got to the studio they were seasoned and good musicians.  Maybe this is D:  they actually were musicians and artist's then, so it could go faster.  Today the record execs just pick a pretty face or sellable feature and stick them in a studio with a writer, engineer, singing coach, producer and pump out a record.  Not saying that there are no talented artist's now but you have to admit there is some pretty questionable artist's out there in all genres of music.

Just my two cents worth. 

Cheers
Heather

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Then,as now, if ya go to the concert and the live performance doesn't cut the mustard. sad. so sad. sad

Ron

You're exactly right RavenLady.  And American Idol brings a new dimension to the table.  Overnight sucesses and then they get out on their own and can't make it.  Although, some do, obviously.  There seems to be too much out there all at once.  Life was much simpler back then.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

You're exactly right RavenLady.  And American Idol brings a new dimension to the table.  Overnight sucesses and then they get out on their own and can't make it.  Although, some do, obviously.  There seems to be too much out there all at once.  Life was much simpler back then.

Thanks Bensonp.  I was also thinking that the recording artist's from then weren't getting paid a whole lot and they had to get in and get out of the studio as quick as possible cause it was so expensive.  They had to have something for radio stations to play so that record stores picked it up for inventory and they had to be out on the road supporting that album and getting known.  They wasn't any music videos or internet.  These days, thanks to the efforts of the first artist's, there are better record deals and publishing rights.  You're not as likely to have a bad manager or agent take all your money too.  Those first artist's paid dearly for just wanting to live the dream and have their music heard.  To play live, to make music.  Of course there was the sex, drugs and rock 'n roll dream too. wink 

Cheers
RavenLady

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

I agree with RAVENLADY but imagine the 2 bands I mentioned.
Probably a lot more 60ties bands.

ABOUT "THE KINKS" they have really great songs like "You really got me" (for me the FIRST HARDROCK song), "Dandy" "Sunny Afternoon" and the unforgettable song "LOLA" and one of the most beautiful songs I know "CELLULOID HEROES" They also were focused a lot on ROCK OPERA'S.
I should say: those were the days, and as a 14 year old kid, being fan of the Beatles and Bee Gees waiting for the next album and yes, there it was on a day. Running to the store.

THE BORN RIVALS = STONES & BEATLES who can forget this. PRO or CONTRA.
THE YEARS THAT CHANGED THE HISTORY OF MUSIC FOR EVER.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil.  Amen to the Kinks!  I think Ray and Dave Davies, The Kinks, are one of the most underappreciated bands of the era.  And of Classic Rock.  They were like the brothers in Oasis of their day.  Angry and didn't get along but amazing musicians that made great music together.  Their guitar sound was insane for the time.  I'm with you about those days too.  It was so much fun to go into a record store and look at the top 40 new releases.  To buy a new 45 single with a A and B side was sheer joy. 

RavenLady

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

RavenLady wrote:

Maybe part of the reason it takes today's artist's so much longer to do an album is a few things. 

A:  In the 60's and 70's, even 80's everything was new.  New style of music, instruments and recording techniques.  So everyone felt that they were bringing something new to the table and didn't have to do something new, it all was!
B:  There's too much technology now.  Artist's use the studio more than ever.  And the editing after the actual recording probably takes longer than the recording itself.
C:  Everything's been done, so they're all trying to bring a new "sound" to the table. 

You know what stikes me as odd about today's artist's and how they get a recording deal is this.  Back in the good ole days, a band or artist had to play live to get their chops and pay their dues before they were even considered for a recording deal.  So when they got to the studio they were seasoned and good musicians.  Maybe this is D:  they actually were musicians and artist's then, so it could go faster.  Today the record execs just pick a pretty face or sellable feature and stick them in a studio with a writer, engineer, singing coach, producer and pump out a record.  Not saying that there are no talented artist's now but you have to admit there is some pretty questionable artist's out there in all genres of music.

Just my two cents worth. 

Cheers
Heather

I completely agree with you ravenlady, I touched on this in another thread, I would only add that songwriters, musicians, singers just simply aren't as all around talented now as they use to be, no one Bands, singers, just aren't doing their own stuff much anymore"yes, there are exceptions", but I think the talent over all is certainly on a downhill slide, just my opinion

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

You also have to take into account the length of the songs. Back in the 50's and 60's they were writing songs that were only 2 and 3 minutes long, where as in the 70's they were  writing 10 and 15 minute long songs, and today there 4 and 5 minutes! And they tend to milk 'em for all there worth! Touring for 18 month's per album!

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

I agree with the statements above but, maybe there was also more to write about back then...

If we look back into the 60s and 70s, it seems that there was so much going on back then. People were fighting for their rights (women's rights, also a presence of racial segregation), there was war (Vietnam), and there were new and more liberated mentalities and ideals that were spreading (hippy movement, peace manifestations). And more importantly, these were issues that were part of every day life for the artists. These different events were happening right where they lived. They felt these experiences first-hand and, of course, they were major influences on the artists' lives. I think that this inspired them more to express an important message that they felt that everyone should hear.

This isn't to say that nothing major is happening today. All the things that I mentioned above still apply but in other parts of the world. But that distance from home makes us more disconnected, especially considering how media companies tend to manipulate the content that we view about these events. There is still war, racism, and injustice but it's much harder to see from our little bubble. So that tends to limit us...

Maybe this kind of music is still being written today and it isn't as accessible as easily to us...

Sidenote: This is a video of an organisation called Playing for Change which helps communities around the world by gathering musicians and making music in order to raise funds for them. They have very good videos and they promote the "old-school" ideals. Notice they use songs from the time periods we've mentioned tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xjPODksI08

Those's a very moving videos! It is time for people of the world to come together as one. To stop all the fighting and negativity and get along. if we were to do that then there would no need for wars! Thats what governments around the world thrive on.

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!