Topic: New String Advice

Hiya all,

I've just busted my first string and I had a wide smile for some reason?  I'd noticed the guitar had been sounding "tinny" for a few weeks and I've found myself constantly tuning it recently as it sounded a funny tone. I've been playing 4 months on average 1 to 1:30 hours a day so I guess they need changing!

I'm off to Cardiff tomorrow to pick a set or two up but searching on the threads here it's a minefield and totally I'm confused, coated/not coated, light/medium light/ medium etc..

I strum with a pick, I'm pretty light/quiet and rarely play heavy, I basically drop the pick over the strings.  My fingers are pretty hard after 4 months as I suppose this would have a bearing on the gauge?  I'm also now starting to play barre chords.

What should I go for and how much am I looking to pay, I now its a personal choice but it would be great if you recommend a few options.

Cheers
Crevs.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: New String Advice

I would recommend that you try light strings and see whether you like them.  Heavier strings tend to require more pressure to fret them (can be a drag if you are barre-ing chords) but tend to have more volume.  They also put more stress on your neck. 

Ultra-light strings sound like garbage on an acoustic.  Don't buy them.

Light strings are easier to fret than heavy strings, but don't have as much volume and generally not as much richness of tone.  Most acoustic guitars (I'm wildly guessing here) are set up for light strings, so it's likely that you'll not need to make adjustments to account for different stress on your neck. 

Anyway, whatever strings you buy, they're a short term fix.  If you're playing that much, you should probably be changing strings every couple of weeks or at least once a month.  That is, assuming you go with uncoated strings.  My favorite brand is D'Addorio, but there are other good brands as well.  Some people really like the Martin strings.  And others. 

There are also various materials. 

If I were you, I'd go for a phospher bronze light guage D'Addorio set of strings, and also get a set of D'Addorio Silk and Steel, and also a set of steel.  Try each one in time and see which you like best.  For $6 or $8, you can change the way your guitar sounds to fine tune it to your liking.  I think that's cool. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I recommend the Elixers or Ernie Ball strings. Coated if you like a warm tone or noncoated for that bright sound. Stay with a light 12-54 for the best sound. These are the best strings for my dollar at $10-15 a set and they last twice as long as many of the other brands.

I'm with Zurf on the D'Addario's. Their only the largest string maker on the planet. And you've been playing 4 mo. and going to barred chords, good for you, smile and do go with the light gauge for now

Ron

Martin makes silk n steel and they have a great sound and feel and may work for you the price is about the same,if you strum or pick lightly these are a good option smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

If you are going to Cardiff then I highly recommend you go down to Cardiff Guitars in the Bay, and not one of the usual shops in the city. The guys down the Bay will give you plenty of good advice and certainly know what they are talking about.

crevs as zurf said the ultra light gauge or extra light as I know them are not that good. I used the mfor a few years. they are easier to hold a chord but they sound nowhere near as good as medium gauge.
There is light gauge too that do not sound as bad as the extra light.
I moved on to elixer strings medium gauge. I got them from ebay for £12 and I am very happy with them.

there is a link in this section about restringing a guitar that I found quite useful. Even after about 19 years of playing I am still getting tips that help.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Cheers guys for the advice,

I had a good chat with the guy in the shop and went for the light, coated, Elixirs.  I only got one set so I'll try something else next time and compare.

I found the video for changing strings brilliant, especially the tip of cutting the strings first, I managed it perfectly.

The guitar now sounds rich and full of sound rather than tinny, I'm chuffed.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

good to hear crevs.

glad you are happy with what you got.
Experimenting is good although can take ages to change from string to string but i tihnk it is a good idea.  iam still doing it lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

The elixirs are nice.  I like those too. 

D'Addorio also makes a silk and steel string that I find to sound very good for finger picking, for a short while.  The elixirs don't sound as good to me when new, but hold their tone for longer so that over time they sound better for longer than the D'Addorio silk and steel.  I don't know anything Martin's version. 

All my stringed instruments have D'Addorio except for one of my basses, which has some free Hartke strings that came with an amp. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude