Re: Music life sucks....

Zurf wrote:

My song-writer friends tell me I'll never be satisfied writing about someone that close. 

- Zurf

Oh I don't know if I'd agree with that.   One of the 1st songs I ever wrote was about my son, and I'm completely happy with it.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Good to know Jerome.  Thanks for the encouragement.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

jerome.oneil wrote:

And I've not even started drinking yet!

What's keeping you?  It's already late Friday morning where you are.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

- Zurf

Well, I work for an Irish company, and it's Good Friday.  So I have to wait until noon. big_smile

Zurf wrote:

Nice RavenLady.  I wish I could get my wife to play or sing along.  She's got a beautiful singing voice and has a seamingly innate sense for music.  She had two years of piano lessons she didn't want when she was a very young lady, but the lessons of timbre and pitch and rhythm have lasted all these years.  Sometimes when she's had a couple glasses  of wine and the friends are around the campfire in the back yard, she'll sing along.  I love that.  My little girls have started to sing along.  I love that too.  They ask for the same lullaby every night -"Featherbed" by John McCutcheon.  I must have sung that song 10,000 times now.  Each of them asks for it every night.  They've been memorizing it, and now they sing it with me.  With the eldest, I've started taking in my guitar and accompanying.  It's awful to hear from the perspective of anyone outside the room, but the two of us in there think it's the sweetest music ever made. 

- Zurf

Zurf that's great about you and your kids!  It's wonderful that they live in a home with such musical parents and inspirations/influences.  Way to go!  Maybe you just need to get more wine for your wife.  wink

Cheers
RavenLady

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

jerome.oneil wrote:
Zurf wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

- Zurf

Well, I work for an Irish company, and it's Good Friday.  So I have to wait until noon. big_smile

It's gotta be noon somewhere?  wink

RavenLady

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

RavenLady wrote:

Hey Detman, I'm so happy that you and Zurf might get together to jam.  That's awesome!  I feel like you too sometimes.  I started playing the guitar about 3 yrs ago, after a 25 yrs absence.  I was a very, very novice player at that time and my playing skills have drastically improved since I took it up again.  All those years ago I lived around many people who played.  Amateur mostly but quite a few professionally too.  There would always be a jam going on somewhere.  It was great.  My boyfriend, who was a musician, was also teaching me how to play bass.  When I broke up with him and moved away I stopped.  Partly because all the instruments were his and partly because I couldn't afford to buy my own.  Now that I'm playing again I have nobody where I live now to jam with either.  So a year into my new hobby I got my husband a small drum and then a Bass, so now we jam together.  smile I still wish I had another guitar player to play with and learn from though.  Maybe someday.  But maybe you could get your wife an instrument of some sort.  Even a tambourine!  It's been great for our relationship.  We're our own biggest fans!  big_smile  Anyway, you guys have a great time when you get together.  All the best.  Happy Easter.

RavenLady

Hehe, I'm happy too! Thank you. I have considered surprising my wife with a clarinet.
She used to play in middle school and I think she would be awesome on it again.
The thing is finding a good one for less than 1000 dollars. Hiding the purchase from her on the books is going to take some creativity...hehe.

smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:
RavenLady wrote:

Hey Detman, I'm so happy that you and Zurf might get together to jam.  That's awesome!  I feel like you too sometimes.  I started playing the guitar about 3 yrs ago, after a 25 yrs absence.  I was a very, very novice player at that time and my playing skills have drastically improved since I took it up again.  All those years ago I lived around many people who played.  Amateur mostly but quite a few professionally too.  There would always be a jam going on somewhere.  It was great.  My boyfriend, who was a musician, was also teaching me how to play bass.  When I broke up with him and moved away I stopped.  Partly because all the instruments were his and partly because I couldn't afford to buy my own.  Now that I'm playing again I have nobody where I live now to jam with either.  So a year into my new hobby I got my husband a small drum and then a Bass, so now we jam together.  smile I still wish I had another guitar player to play with and learn from though.  Maybe someday.  But maybe you could get your wife an instrument of some sort.  Even a tambourine!  It's been great for our relationship.  We're our own biggest fans!  big_smile  Anyway, you guys have a great time when you get together.  All the best.  Happy Easter.

RavenLady

Hehe, I'm happy too! Thank you. I have considered surprising my wife with a clarinet.
She used to play in middle school and I think she would be awesome on it again.
The thing is finding a good one for less than 1000 dollars. Hiding the purchase from her on the books is going to take some creativity...hehe.

smile
Dm

Maybe phone around to some schools that have a band or music class.  Or music stores.  They might have some good 2nd hand ones for sale?  Good Luck!

RavenLady

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Zurf wrote:

Detman - I hope I can live up to your expectations.  I approach music as a fun hobby.  I'm not a serious player, but I do love getting together with other musicians and seeing what we can do.  My acoustic doesn't have a pickup, so if we're going to record anything we'll need some mics, which is something I haven't got.  Even for our own benefit, I think playing back what we did for the purpose of critique-ing ourselves would be an exceptional learning opportunity.   

I'll send you an e-mail.  I've got a young family myself, so my time is not my own, but with adequate planning I'd like to think we can get together soon.  I'm about to start lessons later this month after three years of teaching myself bad habits and letting myself off the hook from good practice technique.  Goodness knows where that will lead. 

I'm more likely to be able to help you with your bass playing than your guitar playing.  There was a time when I was actually half-decent on the bass.  That time has passed with my concentration on the guitar.  While my execution is rusty, my knowledge is still in there somewhere and I'd be happy to share.  If you were playing weekly in a band for four months, I'd guess that you got pretty good. 

- Zurf

Zurf - You have already exceeded my expectations. The simple fact that we will eventually get together and jam is all that I could have ever asked for.
I built a piezo pickup for my acoustic guitar (Which you can see me playing with on my youtube page) that absolutely rocks when plugged into an amp.
I will have my acoustic and my electric on hand when we jam if you would like to try it. If you like it I can build you a piezo pickup too. The parts are less than 3 dollars at radio shack.

I understand the whole family thing, time is a lot more valuable when it's not just you deciding how it's spent hehe. wink

Well, I wasn't ever really that interested in playing the bass. I only learned it because that was the only way that the band I was in would let me play with them. And even then they wanted me to play bass exactly like the band leader did (Which is impossible). Anytime I picked up a guitar or brought my own, the band leader would get huffy. The bass is nice, but with the guitar I can express myself a lot better.

I will answer your email in a minute. I've been jamming most of the day in the lab to backing tracks.

smile
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

That is so great!!!!! I sort of know how you feel because since my band broke up I have been having singing withdrawls... Hence learning to play now.

Nobody here wants to play what I want to play (folk and modern style country) in fact I asked my friend Mark who told me we may aswell start a Gary Glitter tribute band as that is how popular we would be! He, like the rest of my friends is into the heavy stuff and I knew I was clutching at straws when I asked!

ONe of these days I am going to be brave and head to the local folk club to check out what else I could do to feed my passion!

Good luck with the jamming!

After reading this

Well, I wasn't ever really that interested in playing the bass. I only learned it because that was the only way that the band I was in would let me play with them. And even then they wanted me to play bass exactly like the band leader did (Which is impossible). Anytime I picked up a guitar or brought my own, the band leader would get huffy.

And this

Nobody here wants to play what I want to play (folk and modern style country) in fact I asked my friend Mark who told me we may aswell start a Gary Glitter tribute band as that is how popular we would be! He, like the rest of my friends is into the heavy stuff and I knew I was clutching at straws when I asked!

I'm going to offer up some of Jerome's Patented Unsolicited Advice(tm)

Don't play with people who want to have some kind of "role" in a band.   Find people that want to be musicians, rather than a guitar player, and you will have much more fun.

I play bass in my band for the same reason everyone does. No one else wanted to.   But if I pick up a guitar for a set (and I do),  someone else is happy to play bass.  We're constantly looking for reasons to bring in another instrument.  Right now, we're looking for a mandolin or a dobro, but if we brought in a slide whistle or a bag pipe, we'd try to find some way to make it work. 

Variety is the spice of life.

I agree this is a great thread, DM and Zurf, you'll have to keep us posted on the progress!

Going back to the initial post regarding work colleagues reluctance to jam, I suspect the problem could be confidence??  I know people who have played for years and are pretty good but the thought of playing with/for other people terrifies them, especialy people who also know how to play.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Ohhhhhhh we are going to have fun. 

I listened to that little jamm you did on your YouTube page with your Squier 51 and I had bass riffs running through my head. 

Hey, you play guitar pretty good for a bass player.  :-)

JEROME - You play bass for the same reason as everyone else NO ONE WANTS TO!!!!  Son, I've got some folks to introduce you to.

Zurf wrote:

Ohhhhhhh we are going to have fun. 

I listened to that little jamm you did on your YouTube page with your Squier 51 and I had bass riffs running through my head.

AWESOME!! Wait...which one? I think I have 3 on there where I played my Squier 51...hehe.

I'd love to hear some bass lines with the "Victory is mine" video I made.

Zurf wrote:

Hey, you play guitar pretty good for a bass player.  :-)

Lol, thanks. I haven't recorded any bass tracks on youtube because I just don't quite understand timing with the bass yet. I always wind up playing the bass guitar like an electric guitar.

smile
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

40 (edited by KajiMa 2009-04-11 13:14:27)

Tine wrote:

That is so great!!!!! I sort of know how you feel because since my band broke up I have been having singing withdrawls... Hence learning to play now.

ONe of these days I am going to be brave and head to the local folk club to check out what else I could do to feed my passion!

Good luck with the jamming!

Hey Tine,

Where are you located? I can post you a link to nearly all Folk/Acoustic Clubs, Folk/Acoustic Jam Sessions, Open Mic, Floor Spot etc, etc etc, ALL OVER the South West from Hampshire to Devon.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

I love this thread.

I was in a band for about 15 years.  We never broke up, just drifted.  Partly because we lost our rhythm player and then our lead player.  Miss them a lot, we never really grouped together since then.   

I started doing kj/dj stuff just to stick around music.  Lost my soul mate and went into deep depression.  In that period, lost my passion for singing. 
Decided to try playing guitar mainly to make my brain work on something different.  Focusing intently on the guitar helps a lot.  Singing hasn't come back though.  It was all I did in the band.  It was said I couldn't sing and walk at the same time.    ...wink...wink.....lol

I have a very supportive friend who likes to hear me sing and thinks I do well.   At his request, I posted 3 cover songs on YouTube and he just brags to everyone.   I wish I could match his enthusiasm.   

Anyway, listening to the stories here gives me hope I'll get my passion again through learning the guitar.  I get to jam with our old bass player (he also taught me chord progression and lit that need for knowledge) and others who show up.  So far, we've had a banjo picker, steel guitar and lead players with various levels of skill.   

It makes for a great time together.  Oh yeah, the bass player and his wife are excellent cooks.   big_smile

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Hey detman, I understand your frustration. A couple of years ago my brother in law approached me and asked if I'ld like to be in his band. Assuming he wanted me to play rhythm and do some vocals I agreed. When I showed up at practice that night with my gear I was told to put it back in my car as I was now a bass player. Surprise surprise!! I reluctantly agreed and figured I could probably learn and possibly even enjoy it. Then they dropped the big bomb. They had a gig booked in three days and I had to learn 20 songs! Needless to say the bass line in the songs was not very close to what they were supposed to sound like. We managed to get through the gig and continued to practice together for a couple of weeks and I tried to find time to practice on my own while working a regular full time job with out making my family feel like I didn't have time for them. My bass playing skills improved enough to make me feel I was making progress but evidently not fast enough for anyone else. At our next job I showed up and found another bass player setting up. That's when I found out I was being replaced. I was'nt so much mad as I was dissapointed that my brother in law of 20 years didn't have the decency or the guts to tell me straight up that this was going to happen. I have played with many people over the years and performed on stage many times and too many times I see good people get a "rock-star" attitude. Now i either play alone or with my 15 year old son and my time in the spotlight is limited to my wife's family reunion( where for some reason my brother in law will not play) I hold no animosity for him and continue to wish him luck in his musical endeavors. Some times you have to make your own road and although it may be a lonely trip at least you can command your own destiny. Keep jamming and who knows maybe you'll find someone with the same mindset as you and something will develop

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

That's a good story.  So post us some results when you get a chance to get together.  And good on Zurf for keeping the music alive.

Hey Tine,

Where are you located? I can post you a link to nearly all Folk/Acoustic Clubs, Folk/Acoustic Jam Sessions, Open Mic, Floor Spot etc, etc etc, ALL OVER the South West from Hampshire to Devon.

Thanks for that.... Yeah I am in Guernsey!!! Channel Islands. I know we used to have a folk and blues club because when I was 15 and at school my Music teacher invited me to sing there in her band. It was the most memorable moment of my adolescence. I swear I found my comfort zone from that moment on!

Don't think you will have us on there though will you?

Sorry Tine, that was me being hopeful rather than helpful. The Acoustic Callendar for Wessex goes further East and West than I would have supposed but doesn't include the Channel Islands.

DON'T DISPAIR!!! There must be similar publications around Guernsey or pubs that have jam sessions in one form or another. If landlords don't like the idea, sell them on low prices for resident musician/s/host/s and free entertainment thereafter

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Hey Detman,

Looks like everyone has given you some great advice on the subject you raised. I think a lot of people have gotten their fair share of disappointment when trying to group with others to play music. I'm guessing it can sometimes be hard to find like-minded people. Either that, or egos get in the way. I've found that too many people are over-confident that they're going to become rockstars, and they miss the point of the collaboration.

When I began playing again and felt ready to start jamming with others, I visited two places on the net where I could potentially find other players: 1 was a musical forum for my city, and the other was craigslist.com. Both sites had sections for musicians seeking like-minded players for various projects. I was looking for something less serious, and more focused on having fun and being creative. I eventually found 2 great guitarists, started jamming, and have been having fun ever since.
After we had gotten good enough (in our heads lol) to try some open mics together at cafes and bars, the opportunities to find other jammers multiplied again. These open mics can be a haven for musicians of all ages who are seeking to show their music and express themselves. After getting to know some of them, I now find myself trying hard to find time to keep up with all the jams. Also, we often meet at parks during the summer, and when people hear our jam, they also join if they have their instruments. I remember several afternoons that were spent jamming with a group of 30 other people of all ages, playing all kinds of different instruments.

Of course, there will be those that you encounter who are either arrogant, selfish, or deluded with ambitions that even they cannot live up to. I've had my share of them, and also those that weren't like that, but that I didn't share a musical connection with. Sometimes, it is easier to play by yourself, but I would recommend not giving up on trying to share making music with others. It's both fun and an enormously insightful learning experience.

In any case, I hope you find what you're looking for. The websites (check your local craigslist and musicians' forums) and open mics really worked for me.

Good luck and good jamming.

J.

Have just found this thread, very interesting too...
Maybe it's just my warped sense of humour, but can't help smiling at the thought of Detman "surprising his wife with a clarinet"! Would like to see that on Youtube!
No offence!!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic