Topic: Kids learning to play.

Ok so,

My little un is coming up to 6 and is about to start playing the Violin. She is already learning the Fyfe and quite fancies guitar too. Do you think it would be right to encourage her to play so many different instruments a such a young age? The latest instrument, the Violin is through school and so I am keen to encourage this. If she picked up Guitar I would not be as vigil with the practise to start with. Just let her make what she wants of it. I don't want to be a 'pushy mum' but actually she loves music/ has apparant flair , I want to give her the chance at what she loves but I don't want her to get stressed!

Does anybody have young children who play? I'd like guidence here!

Re: Kids learning to play.

I think right now is the best time to encourage her to experiment.  She may not like the violin, and she might find she likes something else a whole lot better.  She may find herself playing all of them.  She may find herself saying "This is not my beautiful house..."

Oh wait....

big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Just like languages, they can learn as many instruments as they are interested in.  Or use regularly.  One will become afavorite and they will practice more with that one.  Kids are pretty flexible.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

My grandson always wants to play guitar with me whenever he see's me playing. I have bought him a guitar that matches his size. He's been playing, or trying, for about a year now. He turned 3 in Feburary! Were are going out tonight to play music with friends (regular Friday night group, and at the end when everyone stands to play "I'll Fly Away" he has to have his guitar, get's up on stage, strums as fast as he can and sings with everyone else. He cannot manage any chords but he doies have purty good timing.

Nela

NELA wrote:

My grandson always wants to play guitar with me whenever he see's me playing. I have bought him a guitar that matches his size. He's been playing, or trying, for about a year now. He turned 3 in Feburary! Were are going out tonight to play music with friends (regular Friday night group, and at the end when everyone stands to play "I'll Fly Away" he has to have his guitar, get's up on stage, strums as fast as he can and sings with everyone else. He cannot manage any chords but he doies have purty good timing.

Nela

Awwww That is great!

Yeah, My daughter had a little mini guitar that she used to strum on but then she got fussy cos it was impossible to tune and didn't sound like Mummys! It's since been sold at the boot sale and is getting upgraded for her birthday for a half-size one! For me it's about having fun, she is mad on the Dixie Chicks and loves to sing along with me. She also likes rattling the tambourine! What talented children we have!!!!!!

6 (edited by deadstring 2009-04-10 23:13:36)

Tine,
    You may have the next Barbara Mandrell on your hands.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Give her instruments but don't push.  If she's interested now is the time when she's most able to make something of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCT9xnlh … annel_page

Tine wrote:

Ok so,

My little un is coming up to 6 and is about to start playing the Violin. She is already learning the Fyfe and quite fancies guitar too. Do you think it would be right to encourage her to play so many different instruments a such a young age? The latest instrument, the Violin is through school and so I am keen to encourage this. If she picked up Guitar I would not be as vigil with the practise to start with. Just let her make what she wants of it. I don't want to be a 'pushy mum' but actually she loves music/ has apparant flair , I want to give her the chance at what she loves but I don't want her to get stressed!

Does anybody have young children who play? I'd like guidence here!

yes i think you should at her age this way she will be able to be in a band when she gets older

FENDER-GOOD BRAND,AND NICE GUITARS
   IBANEZ-EHH WELL THERE PRETTY GOOD
    well yeah guitars guitars guitars
     !NEVER PUT OF TOMORROW WHAT YOU CAN AVOID ALL TOGETHER!

Hello Tine,

It is a good thing that your child has an interest in music... learning the violin and more importantly developing the ear and knowledge of music at the young age will be a blessing later in life.  Having a selection of instruments to "experiment" with is also a fine thing, as the principals apply to all equally (sort of).

When mine were growing up, all the "tools" were out and available.... and none of the three took particular interest until they were old enough to deal with the tedium of practice etc.  I could have pushed a bit I suppose, but they have their instruments and play to the levels that they wished to attain.  Life is good, but we don't jam.... because the "old man" can't seem to get around the "New Age-Christian-Death Metal-Techno-Punk-Rock" music genre.  LOL

Have fun you'll be fine.... Really!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare