1 (edited by micky the mooch 2009-04-12 04:22:14)

Topic: Another talent?

Hi fellow chordian's,

I must say i admire these multi talented people in chordie (and else where) I Really Do!

Not only able to play more than 1 instrument (and the knowledge too, theory etc)

But "Songwriting" too.

Its gotta be a "Natural thing" hasn't it?...I  mean its already inside you, Surely it cant all be just robotic taught, without a "feel" for it

Saying that i don't think i have a natural feel, never learned any instrument when young (oooer i tell a lie, was given the triangle to play once in junior school)
joking aside! never touched( no interest what so ever) music till i was 18 and got into 1950's rock n roll in the seventies (second time around) Now.. that gave me a BUZZ nearly better than sex!
hairs stood up on my neck, it still does today.. you'll know the feeling?I remember back then wanting to learn the guitar but never got round to it ( mind on women & music).

So am giving it ago now,(playing guitar) wishing id started earlier with proper theory instead of words and chord layouts, and as for multi talented... can i include my triangle days lol?

Now for "Song writing" how hard can it be?     ( To be continued)

Cheers for listening  Micky cool

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Re: Another talent?

I can Hula-Hoop dance like nobody's business. I don't mean to toot my own horn but I've been known to stop hordes of people in their tracks with my expertise on the ole' hoop. It may have been a one-time alcohol induced escapade, but it has happened. My wife has video of it on her phone as proof of my self-trumpeting. Maybe if you folks would like to see it I could post a link here someday...........

Give everything but up.

So did it come Natural then Paw? lol even with the alcohol

Howdy Micky,

You know a little knowledge goes a long way in music.  I've been playing at this almost forty years, and still learning... and still wishing I had learned theory and the "proper" way first.  That said, it is never too late!  There are those to whom all this seems to come easily, but, I think it is the "understanding" of a few simple rules, and the "feeling" that you referred to that drives each of us to do what we can.

Everybody does onething better than the rest musically within our individual skill sets.  We are here to learn how better to use the rest of those skills.

Hang in there, and Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Well I can bend the top of each of my fingers keeping the rest of my fingers straight! I'm told it's a talent!!!

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I can Hula-Hoop dance like nobody's business. I don't mean to toot my own horn but I've been known to stop hordes of people in their tracks with my expertise on the ole' hoop. It may have been a one-time alcohol induced escapade, but it has happened. My wife has video of it on her phone as proof of my self-trumpeting. Maybe if you folks would like to see it I could post a link here someday...........

I'd like to see that, oh ya.

cool  Badeye..

one caper after another

micky the mooch wrote:

Now for "Song writing" how hard can it be?

I have the most trouble with songwriting. Don't know why? I have pages of lyrics in a book and several chord progressions with fill riffs, patterns, and such wrote down but putting them together is a different story. I find it works best for me if I just come up with the music and make the words up as I play it.  I thought it would be easy.... I wrote a lot in college, even had some short stories and poetry published, But songwriting has proven to be a challenge! I guess it's like anything else though, you just work and work on it and one day it will sort of fall into place...Right?? Maybe I'm just too critical of my own work, but my lyrics never really seem to express what I want to or in the depth that I intend. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hi Mickey smile
For me anyways (and I'm no Pro) songwriting can be exhilarating and frustrating all in the same song. Trying to put down on paper an arrangement that is easy on the ears lyrically and musically is no easy task. I' don't know how many re-writes I have done lyrically and musically. I can't read music so I usually find a melody that tweeks my interest and then try and put words to the melodies. Sometimes it's a chord progression. Very rarely do I write lyrics first.
The bottom line is to go with what is in your heart and trust your instincts.
Hopefully this helps and we will get to hear some of your songs in the songwriters section.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

9 (edited by tubatooter1940 2009-04-13 00:19:43)

Hello, Micky the Mooch,
Time and fate push us toward and away from music all through our lives.
Alls we can do is play sincere and rightous music for our state of expertise and level of development at any age. Never a need for excuses.
I found writing painful. I do some.
I've always been an all around musician. I scull out the lyrics, figure out rhythm and chords, direct the rehearsals, book gigs, play rhythm guitar and horns, sing lead and backup, load, own and store equipment and chat charmingly to the crowd while someone replaces a broken string.
We all have to do many tasks well just to be musicians.
What do we do that can be defined as a secondary talent or multitasking? I don't know but I measure sucess as being able to live the dream without missing any mortgage payments or meals.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Now southpaw can ya do the hula while...........playing guitar & the harmonica and a set of cymbals between ya knees???? NOW!  thats what i call talent lol big_smile big_smile

cheers micky

badeye wrote:
SouthPaw41L wrote:

cool  Badeye..

Me Too.  wink

RavenLady

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Guitarpix wrote:
micky the mooch wrote:

Now for "Song writing" how hard can it be?

I have the most trouble with songwriting. Don't know why? I have pages of lyrics in a book and several chord progressions with fill riffs, patterns, and such wrote down but putting them together is a different story. I find it works best for me if I just come up with the music and make the words up as I play it.  I thought it would be easy.... I wrote a lot in college, even had some short stories and poetry published, But songwriting has proven to be a challenge! I guess it's like anything else though, you just work and work on it and one day it will sort of fall into place...Right?? Maybe I'm just too critical of my own work, but my lyrics never really seem to express what I want to or in the depth that I intend. -Pix

I've done the same thing Guitarpix.  But I also think that we're our own worse critics.  Keep at it.  I know I am.  smile

RavenLady

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

RavenLady wrote:
badeye wrote:
SouthPaw41L wrote:

cool  Badeye..

Me Too.  wink

RavenLady

All right, that settles it. My wife has a poor quality video in the infamous event. I'll try to link it up here by the days end......

Give everything but up.

Antisapation set's in.

lol   badeye   cool

one caper after another