Topic: Strumming tricks

I’m basically after some tips to spice up songs with basic down strum patterns. 

I’m developing various strumming patterns nicely and I’m really pleased with my progress but there are a few songs in my songbook which basically sound better with just down strums.  Additionally my chord changes are not yet quick enough to add strum patterns to a song in 4/4 time which has chord changes in one bar and there a loads of these?

I know you can “accent† – (is that the term?) certain strums but are there any “tricks of the trade† to make boring old down strums jump out at you?

Cheers

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Re: Strumming tricks

You could try some hammer on and pull offs. Maybe even bounce your fret hand on the chords. Alot of the spice you are looking for comes with a faster strum pattern. Just experiment with everything and stick with what sounds good to you.

I agree with Dfoskey...lots of stuff you can do to add some "character" to your strumming patterns. Also listen to other artists and try to figure out what makes them different. Example...in just a few notes one can easily identify Willie Nelson or BB King. Also try listening to some bluegrass...especially some mandolin players...they will vary strumming and picking techniques to include some crystal clear note picking, some bright clean chords, and then lots of "chop", a percussive sound by muting with chording hand and a stumming palm...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

As you said, Accentuating strums can make a strumming pattern stand out. But have you considered that not all strums have to hit every string?

For example:

A strum on the beat would hit every string (We'll just consider down strums for ease). strum(1) .. strum(2) .. strum(3) .. strum(4)

If you are required to strum inbetween beats you could hit the top few strings (about 2 or 3), but lighter than that of a normal strum. Consider this a half strum.

Count 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + (+sign = and)

fullstrum(1) .. halfstrum(and) .. fullstrum(2) .. halfstrum(and) .. fullstrum(3) .. halfstrum(and) .. fullstrum(4) .. halfstrum(and) ..

I've tried to go into as much detail as possible, hopefully without over complicating it.

Obviously this can be applied to different strumming patterns. Generally strums on the beat get a full accentuated strum. Strums on the offbeat (+) will get a softer strum only hitting the top few strings.

Hope this helps

Daomor

[url=http://www.newbieguitarlessons.com]www.newbieguitarlessons.com[/url]