Topic: Texting

Just out of curiosity, I would like to get some opinions on what you think of texting.  I am sure most of you young folks will agree that it is the neatest thing in the world.  Older folks may have a different opinion.  Here's how I see it.  I have kids and grandkids who are constantly tuned into their cell phone.  I see mostly younger kids doing it.  They don't seem to have a clue what is going on right around them, just their phone.  They block doorways, they sit the phone beside the dinner plate and ignore everyone.  They seldom carry on a conversation with those around them.  And I have never seen an important message come across the phone.  Just, Hey what's up.  Nothing.  Me too.  Am I crazy or does anyone else think it is a rude habit our kids are learning?  I don't mean to start a fight here, but what the hey.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Re: Texting

I think its a great idea for the phone companies that rake in the bucks everytime a kid texts a message the only thing is the parents have to pay for this if the kids had to I dont think it would be as popular smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I'm in  my 40's and I think texting is great. I consider it a less intrusive way to contact someone (alot like email is). I hope people use it in this manner. When I need to tell someone something but it's not critical email or text is my preference. As far as the younger "texting maniacs" a few years back they were just babbling on the cell anyhow. These types will always be "that way". Don't blame texting (or email for that matter). It's great technology. If it saves me from being on the phone and allows me to check it when it's convenient, then it's for me.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

From the perspective of a 42 yr old child/man( I refuse to grow up) ,texting is a fast and effective way to avoid getting detained on one's phone by that person who just doesn't know when it's time to hang up. Time is valuable and I personally don't wanna have to ask someone, "will you please stop flapping your gums about stuff that no one under the stars gives a rats patuitti about?" Texting is a great tool for those on the go with very little time to themselves...

Give everything but up.

Hi Ben ,
   Guess I'm old school , it is a very rude habit that some of these people have with these phones ... Not just kids either .. You can be standing talking to someone and they'll be ignoring you and messing with that phone .. Drives me nuts ..
   If I had kids at home , they would be lucky to have a cell phone for emergencies only , and any other use , they would pay for ... They would still be forbidden to use it at all during certain times of the day ( like during school ) .. Or driving !! Have'nt you seen a kid driving while he or she is messing with that stupid phone ??
   In my city , there's actually a low level debate going on about whether or not kids should be able to text or talk on their phones during school hours ... WTF ..
In my opinion we could just as well send the teachers home ... I'm so sick of these people who treat their twelve year olds like adults with the thinking that if they're treated like adults then they must be adults ??? It's like saying that only sick people take pills , so if I don't take pills , then I can't be sick , L O L ....
                    Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

I do agree, it is a great technology and good when you don't necessarily want to talk to the person.  But, it seems as if a lot of the kids don't care about anything else.  Talk about stopping and smelling the roses, they don't even know there are roses there.  I have a twenty year old grandson who always says he is tired because he doesn't sleep well.  He keeps his phone by his pillow and answers text messages all night.  I guess his friends don't sleep either.  And driving while texting should have your license taken away for three months.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Like anything, texting can be abused.  There are a couple people in my life to whom I need to get messages.  Texting seems the easiest way to do that. 

I had one person at Bible study last week (an adult) who was complaining about her daughter doing what bensonp described, and sent three messages herself during the study.  So, apple didn't fall far from the tree there.  Of course, I was late to start the study because I was on my cell phone talking to someone (it was an important call that if the person was at my house I'd have halted the study and excused myself to talk to him anyway, but nevertheless it does reduce the credibility of any complaints I put forward about cell phone use). 

A buddy of mine was recently nearly killed by a kid texting while driving.  90mph around a blind curve in the rain, and he went over the center line right, hit a trailer being pulled behind a pickup truck, launched has car airborn and right into the grill of my buddy's Jeep Wrangler.  My buddy was in the hospital for a week, and continues to be in physical therapy after six months.  The trailer was turned into splinters.  The kid sending the message was mangled and died in the hospital a couple weeks later still in physical agony.   I hope it was an important message.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I agree that the younger you are, the more you text. I have a "two text" rule. If someone texts me more than twice about the same subject, I just call them and get the matter settled. Partly because I'm a slow texter, mostly because I find it annoying to have my phone beeping at me all the time.

Cell phones in general get abused. I hate it when I'm at a meeting or giving a presentation and someone's phone rings (and they're always the ones with the really annoying rings too). I can understand if someone just forgets to turn the phone to vibrate, but there are some people who will answer it in the middle of a meeting...without walking outside! I mean, who doesn't have caller ID these days! Silence the phone and call them back at a break, or at least politely walk out and call them back if it's a super important call. I also like the people who will turn the phone to vibrate and then set it on the table in front of them so the whole room can here it when it buzzes...kinda defeats the purpose of setting it to vibrate doesn't it?

As far as texting and driving...that's insane! I watched a Mythbusters episode where they proved that just talking on a cell phone is more dangerous than driving around with a six beer buzz (just so we're clear, driving drunk is a bad idea too!). I'm sorry to hear that people are being injured and killed as a result of complete lack of common sense. I hope your buddy makes a full recovery Zurf!

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

WTF? U R all a bnch of geezrs. its the 21st C get w the times. txtng is the only way to comm 2day.

GTG. TTYL.

Disclaimer - I have never "texted" in my life and get angry every time I receive one. I gotta pay when someone sends me a message? Doesn't seem right. My friends don't spend my money that way.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

10 (edited by cameronkl7 2009-04-20 23:54:21)

I have a cell phone, never use it, I've never text a message or recieved one, don't care to. I understand that cell phones are considered a necessity these days for different reasons, I get that, however where I work, it's just completely out of control, these people will not let work get in the way of their talking or texting, you wind up having to work around, through, or just bypass them all together. The ringtones drive me up a wall, just a get a normal ring. I also think it's rude to use while having dinner, or when talking to someone else. We have become an addicted society to cell phones and manufacture reasons to use it when the call means nothing at all, and don't get me started about driving and talking on the phone....ok ok, I feel better now, I just needed to get that off my chest, I'll be fine now.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

11 (edited by crowellb 2009-04-21 00:12:17)

topdown wrote:

WTF? U R all a bnch of geezrs. its the 21st C get w the times. txtng is the only way to comm 2day.

GTG. TTYL.

Disclaimer - I have never "texted" in my life and get angry every time I receive one. I gotta pay when someone sends me a message? Doesn't seem right. My friends don't spend my money that way.

LMAO

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Yes, I heard that you have to pay for incoming texts in the US. Seems a ridiculous idea.  Doesn't happen over here, unless you have signed up for those stupid sports or reality TV updates.

My phones do rule my life at times. I have to have the work one on during the working day, although not during meetings - I'm out of the office a lot. I also have access to my email and it links to my calendar in the office, so I use it all the time. With the email access I don't text. Also one week out of every six I'm "on call" which means the phone is beside me 24/7 for a whole week.

My private phone I do use occasionally for texting, but we have free calls to family numbers, so it's rarely used.

As for the kids, they do text, but it's banned in school, at the dinner table and they wouldn't dream of texting when the family is chatting together. It's also an offence here to drive and even touch your phone.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

I lk 2 txt - skwik n ez n costs £0 on a cntrct!

lol

x

I'm the son of rage and love

About a month ago i was messing with my phone when I spotted a little envelope at the top. Finally figured out what it was and how to check the message. It was from a friend wishing me a Merry Christmas.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Yes it should bebanned from the dinner table and other places.  It realy seems to be getting out of hand

Don’t think there’s anything wrong with texting in general it’s a good way to stay in touch though I do spend a fair bit of time deciphering my wife’s messages where she types walking along. All the kids and Grand kids have the lastest phones which play music, connect to internet, take pictures, and can “Blue tooth" each other and I think they can use it as a phone if they want  smile . They look in horror at me when I tell them my bog standard phone can’t receive their pictures…
I think it a case of being king Knute facing the rising tide of technology ….. Oh hum
ark

gosh what a lot of replies already.lol. not read throught them all so sorry if someone has mentioned this.

Texting is bad for the younger ones. Taxting and mobile phones should be banned to anyone under 16 years of age.

A few reasons...the risk ( even if very little) of some sort of cancer

makes the kids more unsociable when they can do bothing but ignore what is going on around them because they are having a 3 hour converastion  texting on a phone.

And the number one reason which I have seen wit hquite a few young ones including my own kids.... it is making them lose the art of spelling. they are spelling things the way it is done shorthand texting as topdaown has demonstrated. too much of this
L8R   for later
WTF for somethin  i cannot say here
M8 for mate, even though I think M8 is a motorway that goes around Glasgow

And all these xxxx's I get on a text message from my sister in laaw, she doesnt kiss me when answers a question when i am face to face so why XXX me in a text message?

My boy wants my old moblie I dont use just because it has bluetooth!!! I asked him why he wanted bluetooth, he did not have an answer for me. It is only a gimmick as are mobile phones.

They are good for having for quick messages to people you do not want to or cannot be bothered having long convos with, or for if the car breaks down, or to give one of my kids if they are out of sight for a few hours and I know I can get them or they can me straight away.

I loved the days before mobile phones, when i never had one I was unavailable when i wanted to be

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Well one good thing about texting is, to me anyway, that you CAN do something else and still visit with ur buds at the same time, instead of just being tied up talking on the phone for hours, which is nice. I think the key with it, as with anything, is moderation, and good manners of course: its ALWAYS rude to use a cell phone, talking or texting, at the dinner table or in front of guests.

All You Need is Love smile

19 (edited by bensonp 2009-04-21 21:22:17)

I couldn't agree with you more, upyerkilt.
Last_Rebel there is no such thing as moderation, it seems and most manners are lost.  They don't seem to see the world around them.  If it is not on the cellphone, they don't seem to care about it.  It's apparently not important.
So, lets get to the philosophical question.  What is it really teaching them?

yep textings great why did you start this post??

FENDER-GOOD BRAND,AND NICE GUITARS
   IBANEZ-EHH WELL THERE PRETTY GOOD
    well yeah guitars guitars guitars
     !NEVER PUT OF TOMORROW WHAT YOU CAN AVOID ALL TOGETHER!

Greetings!

This is an interesting topic, with lots of viewpoints.... mine is that texting is OK with reservations.  Around here we are not "technophobic" and everyone has more than one way to communicate.  But I worked with this young gentleman and noticed that he was spending a good part of his day typing with his thumbs.  I timed one conversation that went back and forth for over twenty minutes!  Good Lord thought I, if the conversation is that important, dial the person up and get it over with!

There are times when text is preferable to a phone ringing.... in the courtroom, classroom, driving down the freeway at 85mph, theatres, hospital rooms, board meetings, or during job interviews.  I text when the information I wish to convey is not imperative... and call when it is.

At any time however, it is up to the one being called to determine if it is appropriate to answer "at this moment in time".  That is why the darn things have an ignore button, and vibrate!  I'm sure that somewhere out there is a book on "Mobile Manners".  Not that I have read it, but it should be required reading.  We are pretty sure that those that need to improve such manners, are at least able to read from all the texting they've been doing. LOL

Be safe out there, don't cellphone and drive, don't drink and drive, and take time to notice the world around you.... it really is a pretty nice place, or haven't you noticed lately?

Peace Y'all;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

There's no such thing as moderation? I beg to differ... because I practice it and enjoy texting without being rude or absorbed big_smile

All You Need is Love smile

Doug_Smith,

I wish the people I worked with would only use it for 20 minutes, I've seen them on it texting for 2 hours straight, laughing out loud, ignoring work altogether, holding people up. I think texting is fine, really I do, but in the work place, at least at my job, people abuse it, it's personal calls, texting, nothing business related, it get's on my nerves!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

I'm with you there Cam!

Don't know if you have been to the Hospital lately, but I have.... and cellphones don't work inside the structure.  They have jammers installed that prevent your phone to acquire a carrier signal.  Some things there don't like interference and that is what the facility has had to do to prevent someone raising hell with essential equipment.... like the one that might be keeping your heart beating!  My Son works for the school district and they are considering doing something similar in the middle and high schools to help students stay on task.  Eventually I could see industries either requiring you check your phones at the door (like handguns in a Saloon), or blocking them out electronically.  You can bet it costs millions annually in lost productivity!

Too bad though... they do have their use and are an effective tool in business, and social situations. 

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

In a hospital or an airplane I am  OK with the blocking of cell phone( etc. via public) signals but.......

IN a public /private /church school setting,   I think we need to spend less time worrying about children calling/texting their parents/relatives/friends via cell phones, computers, I-phones, etc.  from the schoolhouse and delegate those spy/anti-commincation funds towards installing safety restraints ( i.e. seat belts) in the buses that transport our kids to and from school. It's so messed up here in the state in which I reside( and many others too) that a licensed automobile driver can be ticketed for chosing not to wear their seat belt. Contrarily, the vast majority of the school buses that carry our children have no such option( seat belts). Seems kind of messed up huh? ( This is a rhetorical question, I'm simply stating the painfully obvious)

Buckle up! Put your cell phone/texting device away while driving!

If your childrens' school bus doesn't have seat belts, remove them from the bus and drive them to school yourself.

Then, continuously call the school board, monthly, weekly, daily, hourly, until this grossly overlooked issue is resolved!!!

And did I mention not to text and drive.........

OK, rant over, time to jam some tunes!.........

Give everything but up.