Topic: SINGERS AND SINGING

Friends, Musos, Chordians, lend me your eyes, (sorry Bill)

How many of you out there, whether in public or in private, accompany yourself on the guitar while you sing.

Many/most of the songs available thru' Chordie come with lyrics as well. Do you sing them? Do you have an experienced vocalist who does this for you? Or are you starting out with the guitar while your friend is dipping their toe into the frigid waters that are singing?

Not wishing to rock the boat (in a bad way), could it be that there might be room in the Forum for a singing part in the index? Something to offer tips, advice, help, comfort, encouragement, solace and all the things that you, my fellow Chordians, do so well.

I hope I'm not out of line here, us singers have a hard enough time as it is with nearly all non-singers thinking it's easy (even tho' they can't/won't) takes no practise and all one has to do is open ones mouth and it happens AND to oder. I thought a Singers/Singing section might be something that would make a valuable contribution to the arsenal of information and help that is Chordie.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Re: SINGERS AND SINGING

I think this is a great idea and, considering the amount of participation in the Songwriting Forum, I'm sure many would agree. We're lucky to have several people in the forums (SouthPaw, Roger Guppy, All1Song, Phil Williams, Old Doll, etc...) that have proven their great singing abilities and unique voices.

Singing is probably the hardest thing to do for me, and I could really use some tips. The voice is a very flexible "instrument" and also the hardest to use in my opinion. There's a lot to keep track of (posture, diaphragm, tonal recognition)... Also, I remember UpYerKilt mentioning an experience with throat nodules and explaining how you can damage your voice with improper technique.

I second Kajima's request.

I love to get the house to myself so I can give it laldy without upsetting the rest of the family. I love singing away while I'm playing. I don't do any performing but I do like a sing song with friends and family, in which case everybody tends to sing along with me. Which is great; it hides my dulcet tones.

I also like to record myself now and then so that I can hear what needs attention. Whether it's my singing or my playing. I also like to video myself occasionally because it forces me to really learn a song.

I'm sure the subject of a singers section has been brought up before but I can't remember what thoughts were put forward. I can only assume that it was thought that Chordie is primarily a guitar or stringed instrument site and singing as such was deemed to be outwith the remit.

I could also be talking utter cods.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Great Idea!

Some folks don't have to work on vocals but most do including me, do. As I've grown older I have lost alot of range and have had to adjust.I make full use of a capo and sometimes tune down a 1/2 or full step also.It would be nice to hear some tips and tricks.
  I am working on a song now that I have played for years in the key of G and it worked good,but now I have to transpose it to D and then capo it at the 2nd fret,but the guitar playing doesn't transpose with the full effect.Now I'm back at it trying to play it in the G progression capoed at the 3rd fret for Bb.I am gonna try to get it,cause the guitar is so important on this piece.

I think Alvee is right about recording,after you get accustomed to hearing your own voice you can tell if the key is right or where you need to work on things.

Later, Wayne P

I attempt smile My voice has been said to give chill bumps.... Not the good kind, I mind you, but more along the lines of the ones you get when someone walks across your grave. It's often compared to the voice of an asthmatic goose smile I kid... It's not really that bad but I'm far from a great vocalist! I can handle some songs fairly well but my range is limited. I do surprisingly well when recording alone but go all to hell when singing to strangers. I guess it's like anything else and just needs practice/confidence... Thankfully, when playing live, Jamie (a friend I gig with) handles all the vocals. I may add the occasional backup but that's it for now. Except Brett Dennen, I do cover his song "Ain't no Reason" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amwVyRH2B8A live. I hit that rough edge in his voice pretty good. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

wlbaye,

I find it really hard to sing a lot of songs in G. I tend to capo at the 3d or 4th fret, or even 5th, and get on a lot better. On the 4th or 5th you get a really nice folky sound, which suits a lot of the songs I like to sing.

I love my capo >blush<

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Kajima its not necessary to post this topic in two forums one is sufficient,this is also posted in "about Chordie"

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I have been blessed with a pretty good singing voice since I was very young.  I haven't lost much over the years.  The only way for me to play is to sing along.  That is all I do.  I am also pretty good at changing octaves in mid stream when the song gets too high or low.  A lot like Roy Orbison does.  Anyway, I would be interested in a singing section just to see how I can improve.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

well i just spent a bit of time replying to this same thread in a different section so i wil not be repeating it or copy and pasting it.

Please do not post multiple threads.

The other one has now been deleted as this is more active..

I am against another section.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I tend to agree with  ken all the advice on singing can be given in the the chat forum.
as it has been in the past.
ark

I shall second Ken and Ark theres enough room in several forums including chat.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

12 (edited by quarters 2009-04-22 00:16:52)

I used to get a lot of compliments about my voice, but within the past year after a few sore throats I have noticed a big difference in my ability. In fact I just bought a zoom h4n and recorded myself and was completely embarrassed from what I heard. I am upset about it as the compliments I used to get were sincere. I have to look up what nodules are, but I fear I have strained my voice beyond repair. : (

But I LOVE singing along with my guitar.

I apologise Russel et Ken; J'ai desolait! (I am extremely sorry)!

I deleted the other as soon as I'd seen (5.30pmish gmt). I wondered which source I should delete as it was a suggestion I thought people might bite on, absolutely my first forum ever and I'm still feeling my way, forgive me if I stumble.

With respect to everything that is Chordie, Chordie has always been (for 6 - 9 years) my first place to come. I am 42 and I started as a singer who eventually, after his 8th birthday and much nagging, got guitar lessons (taking 1st grade classical, studying to 4th) that finished shortly after I turned 12.

I had a superb grounding in how to use what I'd learned to take me through finding songs I liked in various books and singing and developing my rock/pop/folk/spiritual abilities with the guitar! It's in huge part to Chordie that my guitar ability and my guitar knowledge has become just what I needed - believe me, I very rarely need to go further -

A HUGE THANK YOU CHORDIE!!!

But nearly everything I want to learn has words, I wanted to learn the guitar to accompany me singing. If I could have had resources like this when I was 18, 19, 20, etc, it would be amazing where I could be. Most/all of my musical knowledge has been paid for (guitar and music) since the age of 14; (some of this knowledge has cost me more than I would care to relate).

But I'm here for the guitar, bass, mandolin, etc players who want to learn songs to maybe accompany someone else or themselves or not; for those who are interested in recording in all it's processes; those who love the accoustic guitar, steel et classical, and most of all solid Engleman top, mahogany back sides and neck, ebony.. gold.. (your fave is different) playing it on it's own is enough guitar player who mostly plays to accompany himself singing or accompanying others.

Unless I do something serious that warrants banishment (I don't intend to) I hope I'm here for a long time. I'd like to think I'd made friends here, I wouldn't want to lose that common ground!

If the answer to the question "is there a demand among Chordians to have a section for singers" is yes, I would be delighted and honoured to offer my services to help it along and believe that there are others who could contribute also. I throw this open to my fellow Chordians who are brothers and sisters from the nation of music, sir, madam would it benefit Chordie as a one stop place for ALL your music knowledge?

If the answer's yes, I respectfully suggest Singing appear somewhere near Music Theory - I've never had a singing lesson but started in choirs and churches from the age of about 6 for the former and before I knew the words with the latter and would have appreciated the two together if I was 13/14 + and ReallY beginning what I now do.

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

KajiMa,

Please post some links to some of your songs/performances/poetry, etc..... You've aroused my curiosity. I'm pretty convinced from the content of your posts that you know what you're talking about in regards of music. I just wanna match a face and/or sound with the data you've shared with us here at Chordie. Hook us up with some stuff friend................ Cool?

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Every member of our band sings, and all of us except the drummer do so solo at some point in our sets.  I believe that it's all about confidence, but our drummer has been taking some vocal coaching lately, and it's really made a difference in how he sounds.   Much more resonant and confident.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I started late in life compared to a lot of singers.  I enjoy singing and have been a singer in a country/rock band.   I also do Karaoke shows, just because I like to be around music.  I recently started learning the guitar.  I have an ear for music, but was never able to translate that to any musical instrument.  It is a struggle for me to learn to play and sing at the same time, but what I've learned, I love it and wished I started out that way.

I put a few cover songs on YouTube, at the request of a friend, under Gabbsysings2.   I have had a few hits on them and some comments.     They were one-takes during a party and was recorded for fun.   I didn't get that many hits and comments and this friend still wants me to put more on.   lol

Hearing myself on a recording still surprises me.  During the course of the years I've been singing, that is what helped me most though.   Play back and listening to what I want to change helped me improve.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Whether in its own forum or in Chat Corner or Other Instruments (which I never check in on and should), I would love to see some good basic information on singing discussed.  I never contribute in the theory section because I have a poor understanding of it, but I certainly value the forum. 

I doubt that I'd do much to contribute to a singing forum, or subjects in other forums as the case may be, but I would very much like to see what those who are knowledgeable (or even merely competent) have to say on the matter.

So, Kajima, go ahead and get something rolling in the Chat Corner.  I for one am eager to partake. 

I have never had a complement on my singing, but neither has anyone ever run screaming with hands over his/her ears.  Excepting Penny the Music Critic Groundhog that is.  I'm not kidding.  I wish I was. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

hi kajima,

i first of all learned to play the guitar so people wouldnt hear me singing, at 14 i couldnt sing two notes in the same key. but i wanted to sing, i think i've improved over the years a bit, and i do between 3 to 4 hours when i do my gigs. i only do a couple a week so no big damage done. i did my first solo gig the day after elvis died, before that i played with bands.
technique is very important to me, and i listen to how proffessionals sing...not the likes of kylie minogue, real singers like lennon, mccartney, tom jones, etc.

it is true...anyone can sing, but it takes work and dedication. in the time i've been on the road, i've seen so many karaoke singers come and go, they get all their mates egging them on, so they spend thousands on equipment, just to sell it all cheap a few months later. it's a hard way to live, and harder to keep it up for 36 years like me.

as other moderators have said above, you can enter a song you have written in the songwriters section or the poetry section and ask for help with recording. if you go to the recording section, russel harding has a thread there for names for helping with recording, put your name down for vocals if you like. but the best start would be to write and record your own song, submit it, it wont matter if it's not quite wonderful, ask for help and you'll have plenty of offers.

hope i've helped you

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Wow!!!

Great response Chordians!

Keep 'em comin'.

KajiMa - interesting thread, you seem to have struck a Chord(ie)! Certainly wish I could sing better, am always up for helpful advice (and have had some previously on Chordie). Agreed, the Chordians are a great bunch of people.
Just by the way, is that Priddy, Somerset, or Texas?

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Thanks Normtheguitar!

Somerset!

A-ha! I note with interest that Priddy has a folk festival - can you recommend it? I'm thinking of a possible Chordian gathering?!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

Good call Normtheguitar!!!

Our Folk Festival is internationally renowned (year before last I passed Rufus Wainright among the crowd).

You don't have to get a ticket as there is enough going on that you can get into (of course you can't get into the main tent, second tent, dances in the village hall and the workshops tho').

Camping can be done either thru' the festival website (expensive, but good facilities) or with us (a field, a tap, portaloos and not much else except stunning views and a much nicer friendlier place to be - and it's much cheaper!!!)

If you really, really want to come, drop me an e-mail and I'll forward some details!!!

HA SOAZ!!!

24 (edited by getfiddle 2009-04-28 15:15:47)

I think a singing section would be a great addition to Chordie! I myself could benifit from such a section thats for sure! I'm all for it. I've noticed that the only ones that seem to be against the idea just happen to be moderators! I also think the yea's outway the nay's! Just the way I see it. Don't mean to get anyone po'd, and hope I didn't.

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Hi KajiMa - have e-mailed you for more info.
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic