Topic: PLAYING ELECTRIC WITHOUT NOISE

I probably mentioned it already.
I was in hospital twice in 2008. The first time I brought my acoustic, the "famous Martin D45V.
I was staying on the NEUROLOGY department. Most of the people there were old, demented, or another neurological problem. Even with my door closed they could hear what I played.
So tje next period in hospital (September 2008), I had my favorite electric guitar, my Duesenberg 49er, AND a brandnew device: Korg Pandora PX4D + his successor the PX5D. I wanted to sell the PX4D, but the difference in tonality and possibilities were to important.
A headphone, input: guitar and output to headphones. I swear that, and even more important, nobody can hear you, and me: just following the rhythm. This little device improved my skills a lot, since I play alone which don't make it easy to follow rhythm. These 2 pandoras made me a happy child, all the possibilities from acoustic to wah-waj and distortion. Changing amps, rhythm.........
I believe that this combination, and the silence, your skills to play will improve 50% using it on regular base = playing 30 - 60 minutes every day, that you can say: now I am a decent player.

I wander where it ends, WHEN CAN YOU SAY THE WORDS I AM A GOOD GUITARIST? Because I believe that you always want to improve. I play 30 years now (32 to be exact) and I think that I will never use that phrase, even when you play in front of some friends who are amazed and the congratulations they say. IS IT REALLY IMPORTANT when you know that you will never perform?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: PLAYING ELECTRIC WITHOUT NOISE

Hi Doc,

Been awhile, but this post struck a note with me so I thought I'd participate.  Like you I have had my share of problems, and I too have been playing at this for almost 40 years.... never really aspiring to doing it for a living or anything like that.  We are probably good guitarists after all this time, better than some, not as great as others.  There is always more to learn, and the satisfaction of hearing a tune you have not heard before and finding the music on a site (like Chordie), and listening to the tune a few times and then being able to sit down and play the thing pretty well the first time through.... well that is good enough for me.

My guitar has been a good friend of mine, and some of the best therapy I didn't have to pay much for.  Sometimes when the pain medication is not doing it, and depression starts to take control of my life, a couple hours of sitting and playing makes it all go away.  So you tuck your "friend" safely away in it's case and go back to bed knowing that tomorrow it will be there to help make that part of your world disappear for awhile.... and that difficult "lick" after the second chorus will be just a little bit easier in the morning....

Take Care my Friend;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Phil,

I also practice daily with my PX4D!! What I do is upload a bunch of backing tracks to my blackberry and then use an audio cable to play the backing tracks from my blackberry through the PX4D. I put on my headphones and I'm playing along with all the songs that I want to play with.

And the best thing is that I can play as loud or harsh as I want to, without anyone asking me to "Be quieter" or "Turn it down".
I used to bring my acoustic guitar to work and play in the lobby of my work building, but once winter hit that became difficult due to the cold of people coming in and out of the building.

After I got my Squier '51, I started playing with my PX4D again since I wanted to practice on my new electric. I've fallen in love with the little device all over again! I am still waiting on the price of the PX5D to come down some more before I get one and sell my PX4D.

smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Thanks guys. Dough life really sucks sometimes. I started to realize that "it was all over" at the Hooverdam  I even wrote a song about it long time ago. Worse I knew the decision or verdict = STOP working. It is a public secret that I am probably the laziest man on earth. I really need a TABASCO SUPPOSITORY to see me in action. Once in action, I was invincible, I worked between 80-90 hours a day, which is really huge today. After my car crash, I started against advise
11 months later. I adore challenges and if you don't work a year try to get your patients back. 3 years later I had 25 patients again resulting in 80 hours again. I lost a lot of my time, because I had too much pain and I rested longer. Is it normal that people who are ill carry my material? So I had to stop because I was destroying my body. And there it is: I sit here at home day after day and grateful that I have a PC, a Flat screen and dvd's and GUITARS. Thes pandora devices are a blessing. You disturb nobody, and even funnier I have an output jack were you can plug in 2 earphones. The GERMANS have a name for a Gibson Les Paul = PAULA.
Detman, I wanted the same as you sell my PX4D to buy the PX5D who arrived the day before going to the hospital, so I have played both for 3-4 weeks. CONCLUSION: I STILL HAVE AND USE MY PX4D. If you buy the PX5D you get "ABLETON LITE" as extra bonus. I didn't use it yet.
AS SAID = both are so great and so many functions in particular the rhythm section allowing you to play like AC/DC and nobody will hear you.
If you don't need the money to buy the PX5D keep at least a time the PX4D.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

YES!! Ableton is going to be fun!
I like how you can edit the rhythm section on the new px5d to chain different drum patterns together to create a REALISTIC sounding Drum&Bass backing track.

I have already virtualized the PX5d software and stored a copy on my phone so that I can edit my patches no matter where I am at.
(Even though I don't have the px5d yet hehe...)
I am going to virtualize the copy of Ableton that comes with it as well so I can have all my editing software with me everywhere I go.

I can't wait!!!
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Lieven I dont think you ever need to say the words "I am a good guitarist" when you play things other guitarist try to emulate or copy you know it and ego has a lot to do with it,I know there are many out there who will say you should be humble but showing off for an audience or your friends has nothing to do with humility its the same as when you were a kid "hey ma look at me see what I can do" its ego pure and simple the need to be recognized,adored,admired and respected, all of these are related to your talent,hard work,devotion and love for your chosen field of endeavor smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

Lieven I dont think you ever need to say the words "I am a good guitarist" when you play things other guitarist try to emulate or copy you know it and ego has a lot to do with it,I know there are many out there who will say you should be humble but showing off for an audience or your friends has nothing to do with humility its the same as when you were a kid "hey ma look at me see what I can do" its ego pure and simple the need to be recognized,adored,admired and respected, all of these are related to your talent,hard work,devotion and love for your chosen field of endeavor smile

Okay, that makes sense.

But what about those of us that *cough*suck*cough* that have the same basic needs?
Who do I...er...we...go to for recognition, adoration, admiration and respect?

hehe,
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Dm there's always lesser and greater individuals then you or me and in your case I guess its someone who sucks worse then you lol no matter how bad or how good you think you are someone is worse or better so I guess be happy where your at and try to improve smile

Detman101 wrote:

But what about those of us that *cough*suck*cough* that have the same basic needs?
Who do I...er...we...go to for recognition, adoration, admiration and respect?

hehe,
Dm

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hello friends.I just want to know which is better.Electric or normal guitar?
****link deleted by moderator****game site

DETMAN and RUSSELL, I have read again what I wrote.
And YES = CONFUSING.
All I wanted to tell is:
1) It feels good when friends tell you that you play a lot better than a year ago.
2) I am not bad and I am not good. BUT compared to 2 years ago, I play better (IS THIS WRONG TO MENTION IT?)
3) It is impossible to tell: look I am a great player. I compared this with my former job: THE PEOPLE (or PATIENTS) WILL TELL YOU if you are good or bad.
4) NAME ME 1 (ONE) person on earth who doesn't like to hear a good work.
5) I mixed things in this thread, LINGUISTIC = BAD.
6) I BELIEVE IT'S IMPORTANT TO HAVE A FEELING THAT PEOPLE RESPECT YOU FOR WHO AND WHAT YOU DO. Everyone wants to be appreciated.