Topic: Green days new album

21st century breakdown.....

My verdict after 3 listens to it is THUMBS UP

noticably it is green day with the usual green day sound but nothing wrong with that.
Some structures of their songs are quite similar to others but different riffs and lyrics so it is a new song.

I have not decided which one is my favourite track yet ( I dont know the names as I am listening to them in my car so i only see track 1 track 2 track 3 etc)
but about 3 or 4 have stood right out to be excellent songs. i am sure most wil turn out to be excellent after a listen or two more.

And I got myself and my wife tickets to go see them in October in Glasgow so I am hoping she is going to like this as she is not too keen on their early stuff which I consider to be their best

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Re: Green days new album

Cool Ken.  Thanks for the review.  I'll have to check it out.  Have you heard their other CD/Band, "Foxboro Hot Tubs"?  It's great!  Can't wait to hear the new Green Day one though.  Should be a great concert for you and the missus. 

Cheers
RavenLady

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

not yet I havent but I will go look them up in spotify and see if they have anything by foxboro hot tubs. lol silly name.
I knew they done something under a different name but couldnt remember the name and couldnt find the thread or post in schordie where I read that.

cheers
Ken

Man, I'm out of touch. I didn't even know about the foxboro hot tubs. I've loved Green Day since about 94/95 and can't wait to hear the new album. Thanks for the heads up, guys.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

5 (edited by RavenLady 2009-05-11 02:25:24)

There's a great write up about Foxboro HotTubs on Wiki. 

"Foxboro Hot Tubs and 21st Century Breakdown: 2007–present
Green Day recently released a new album under the name Foxboro Hot Tubs entitled Stop Drop and Roll!!!. In an interview with Kerrang!, Billie Joe revealed that 2008 would "be a fair estimate of the release date of their new untitled eighth studio album."[35] In a recent interview with Carson Daly, Garbage lead singer Shirley Manson revealed that Butch Vig would be producing Green Day's forthcoming album.[36] In October 2008 Green Day returned to the studios with Butch Vig, to start recording the new studio album. Two videos showing the band in the studio were posted on YouTube.[37][38] In the tour section of the band's official website, the message "World Tour coming soon!" is shown.[39] In the December 9 issue of Alternative Press, in-depth details about the new album were released. According to the interview, Green Day are recording in the same studio as they did for American Idiot, Ocean Way Recording in Hollywood, California. "This album is more... religious", and is influenced by Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, and The Beatles, to name a few.[40] Billie Joe Armstrong said when he was being interviewed for Kerrang!'s readers poll, that it will be more power pop than punk rock.[41] The new album will be titled 21st Century Breakdown and will be released worldwide on May 15, 2009.[42]"

I was at my guitar store last month buying my new Amp when I heard one of these songs come on.  I asked Jerrett if that was Green Day .  He said yes and no, it's Foxboro Hot Tubs.  I immediately came home and bought it on iTunes.  And yes, it is a very silly name.  big_smile

Cheers
RavenLady

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Thanks for that, Heather. I checked it out on iTunes and it sounded Ok. Very trad rock n roll. I have a birthday next month, maybe I'll get lucky and get the new album as a gift from my lovely wife. She hates buying me CDs cos I've got hundreds, hee hee.

A new amp, eh? Are we going to get to hear this in action? Looking forward to something new on Youtube from you guys soon.

All the best,

Al

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hey Al,

I just pre-ordered the new Green Day off iTunes.  Comes out this Friday here.  It downloaded one song immediately.  Sounds great!  Hope you get it for your birthday.  smile

Yup got a new amp.  A Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.  It's sweeeeet!  We've got to do a whole lot of practising before we record anything these days.  :LOL 

Have a great day!

Cheers
Heather

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

i personally don't like their new album, it just doesn't seem right to me (i got seriosly told off on youtube for saying that)
i love their early stuff(90-97) and i wish i could have been able to see them but im only 14 so i wasnt born then.

megan

by the way, foxboro hot tubs isnt just green day, thenve got 3 other dudes in it

the secret to happiness is contained in a guitar

hi Megs,

Just not right? lol ok, no idea what ye mean but it is your opinion. lol

I love it. I am listening to it so much and I am in the opinion of it is just as good if not slightly better than their last.

oh yeah and when they play they do a lot of their older stuff too.

Ken

Gotta agree with Ken.  I love the new album.  Just read an article in Guitar World with Billie Joe.  Very insightful.  About both bands.  Don't think I ever said that the Hot Tubs was just them Megan but sorry if I did.  It says right on the wikipedia page that I got that above quote from that there are 6 members in the band. 

RavenLady

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

I don't have it yet but its green day and ive already learned at least one of the new songs!!!!!

I don't have a good quote so I'm quoting myself... ok I'm done

Which song Are1222?  Hubby and I are learning, "Know your Enemy".  It's transcribed for guitar and bass in the latest edition of Guitar World.  smile

RavenLady

--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez