1 (edited by dangerjoe 2009-05-15 21:16:43)

Topic: More than chords?

Hi all.  I have been playing guitar for 17 years now.  Now, while I admittedly have not been die hard, I still cant seem to do more then strum chords and sing along.  While I enjoy this, I would like to be able to play without singing, such that what I am playing sounds like a song, not just a bunch of repeating chords.  Anyone have any tips on how I might start moving to that next level?

Re: More than chords?

Hey dangerjoe.

Difficult one.

How 'bout taking a song you know and picking the tune out but combining that with ocaisional chords?

There are some great tabs out there in pdf format including instrumental versions of songs like "Over The Rainbow."

Hope this helps or starts something that does. cool

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

You can vary your strum pattern, or if you are flatpicking, use fingerstyle, or the other way around.

But, here's the secret about the guitar: It's defiant. It will never let you conquer it. The more that you get involved with it, the more you realize how little you know.
                 Les Paul  March 2007

Howdy Dangerjoe,

I agree with the advise rendered so far.... me being a fingerstyle (mostly) player, I'm thinking you might wander off in that direction a bit.  Picking a few notes or pinching a couple chords here and there can attenuate passages in the tune that may make it clearly recognizable without the lyrics.  Sometimes if you lean to open chords, moving to barres during the bridge or chorus changes the bass tones and also adds flavor.  Experiment a bit with hammers and slides and wander from playing exactly like you are used to hearing the music done. 

The "rules of convention" are meant to be bent.... at least in music!

Have fun with it...

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

It's always a good thing to try different styles.  I'm like you.  I play chords and sing.  I find it very hard to do melodies on the guitar.  This is only because I don't try enough.  I am just happy I can sing fairly decent along with the chords.  I am starting to branch out like you and try other things, but after so many years of the same thing, I find it hard to get the grasp of picking something.  Man, there goes that practice thing again.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I've had a guitar for more than 30 years and spent most of that time trying to teach myself and not really getting anywhere. I learned the basic chords and snatches of songs and a few riffs but to be truthful if anyone said "OK then, give us a song" I'd be embarrassed! The thing is I just played the same old stuff and whilst I got pretty good at the few things I knew, I wasn't getting anywhere. A few things have helped move me on:

- I learned the difference between practising and playing. I found a great web site by Justin   Sandercoe and I've been following his courses and setting aside time to practise scales, chords, do proper finger exercises, learn some music theory and practise licks with the help of his excellent videos. I'm into the blues and so I bought a couple of his DVDs. Sometimes I just jam but others I do proper practice and I it's starting to really make a difference. If you do the same as you've always done you'll get what you've always got, as the saying goes. I find it is important to actually set aside time (pretend it's a music lesson) and do real practice rather than just pick up the guitar when I feel like it, it somehow makes me take it a bit more seriously. I avoided music theory like the plague for years but it has helped with building solos and all sorts and it will help you progress.

- I've found some people to play with. It's amazing how the discipline of playing a dozen songs or so concentrates the mind and trains your fingers! The really great thing is that it's fun and there's nothing like fun to help you learn. You can do this on any level you like, whether at home or in public but I found it really helped my motivation. This site is great for finding songs and building a repertoire of songs that you know properly rather than snatches can do wonders for your confidence.

- I got myself a decent guitar. I have a lovely Simon & Patrick mini-jumbo that gives me a real buzz playing. I use Elixir strings which are expensive but make it really sing and I get a lot of pleasure from playing. It sounds daft but just thinking about my lovely guitar makes me want to pick it up. (Motivation again).

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Owen

Hey Owen54!

Welcome to Chordie; a newbie here but not to the guitar, it appears.

Great 1st post (and great advice too), looking forward to more.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Thanks for the great advice everyone!  I think just seeing that there are some other people out there like me, and that there are others willing to share their experience really gives me a confidence boost and a confidence in a direction to charge ahead in.  I started playing Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt", which has some simple string picking flair.  Flatpicker/Kaji - I had learned Greensleeves years ago from a tab that works from chord shapes, like you suggest.  I will definitely try applying this to some other songs.  All - please feel free to add more to this post, everything looks great so bar, but I as sure there additional ideas as well.

Thanks!