Topic: Diamond Light

There is a very old story about the cliffs above Belfast city. It was said that seafarers could guide their way into the port using the light of a diamond that was planted in the cliff face. Turns out that the story is true  (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8045366.stm ). They have now found the diamond ( it was quartz ) which will be displayed in the city's oldest library.

Some  help with the names etc would be

- Cave Hill - an area of cliffs above Belfast that have ancient caves cut into them. The link has a good pic of them.

- High Street - the old tall ships used to tie up at quays in High Street, now right in the heart of the city.

- Farset - is the name of the river that flowed down High Street - it was famed to stink to high heaven and be the colour of porter (Guinness is a porter). Belfast in Irish is Beal Feirste - the mouth of the Farset. The river is now culverted.

- Bellevue - is the land running down from Cave Hill to the sea.

BTW to play CdimAdd9 just hold Am in first position and remove the finger on the D string

Chordpro error: This is not a valid artistname. You will have to specify an artistname in the form {st: Artistname} in the beginning of the code.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Re: Diamond Light

Hey StranSong - Great song - reminds me of the bittersweet feelings I have for where I grew up too although it doesn't have quite as storied history as Belfast. It had a Baker Street feel about it how I was playing if you know that song. I'd love to hear your version.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

very nice lyrics and I read the story it was also interesting that this treasure made its way to the museum after all the attempts to dislodge it,I would like to hear a recording of this if you plan on it smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

hi stransongs lovely lyrics,they kind of roll off the tongue  so to speak,great song.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hi Alan
I enjoyed reading the story behind your song.
Nice flow to your lyrics.
well done
ark

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the comments. I have a backlog of recording to do, so decided to jump to the top of the list and record Diamond Light this morning. You can access it on the website link. It's a rough cut with a couple of mistakes and a clipped ending. It's also a bit faster than I would like it - I want to linger on the long notes.

I'm looking at audio interfaces so I can run two channels at the one time and get it down live. I hate doing it a channel at a time - no patience !

Jets, yes I know Baker St - great song - this is more trad Irish. I'd love to hear your version if you ever had time to put it up. It would be interesting to look at the two interpretations of the chords anf lyrics.

Russel, thanks for the kind words - it's a great story. I work across the road from the library, so I'll be checking out when the "diamond" is put on display - maybe get a pic of it.

Daddy and Ark, yes, the flow was assisted by the internal rhymes within some of the lines. I was searching for rhymes in an early version of the song and was struck by the way putting them in the same line made it glide together more.

I love songs with history to them. Very inspiring and well done to you sir

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Hi StanSongs, smile

Just had a listen to all your songs and would like to say Well Done. I also enjoyed the story, and song Diamond Light. Your songs have a genuine Irish feel which is a pleasure to listen to.
It must be nice to live all around history like you do.

Well Done to you.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi Kap,

I'm glad London likes 'em.

Hi Alan
Nice to hear you recorded this one..
Well done
ark

Great job, Alan.

Could I ask what you mean by "the cries of three sturdy youngsters on the sill"? It's not a word I've come across, and I'm quite curious.

Shady

[url]www.freerice.com[/url]

Thanks, Shady,

I mean a window sill - as kids we used to be lifted onto the sill to better see my da walk up the street from work.

Sorry- that didn't click...why I was thinking it was a dialect word for soil, I don't know. That's a nice little story though- off to listen to the song again, and await the final recording. smile

[url]www.freerice.com[/url]