Topic: all the chords i play sound the same.

My guitar is properly tuned but it just seems too deep in tone it swallows up the chord. do i need new strings.?

Re: all the chords i play sound the same.

Crazydukefan I am not sure what you mean by "swallows up" if it sounds muddy or the tone has no edge or sustain then it sounds like a string change is needed smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hard to say from what you describe.

How have you checked that it is in tune? Were you using an electronic tuner?

You may have tuned it, but to an octave below what it is supposed to be - that would still give the correct tuning, but no projection.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Hi Crazy and welcome to Chordie,

Is is possible for you to make a recording of you playing a chord progression on your guitar so that we can hear and perhaps be more helpful in our comments?

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Strings are cheap.  Put on some new ones and get help in doing it.  Then you'll know what to do and whether there's something more serious wrong with your box.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I wonder if perhaps you are playing with too much force? Banging the strings creating a percussive beat rather than strumming to allow the strings to vibrate and ring out with sound? And yes! I agree that new strings would be a great start....

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hi crazydukefan222
Don't take this to badly but you might just need a different guitar.
I bought my wife a Classical guitar called a "Brunswick" made in the far east I think ok to learn on but the tone is I gotta say not good a "deep tone swallowing the chord" is a good description of what takes place.
I don't Know the make of guitar you have so it might not be your problem strings is the place to start otherwise.
ark

I'm curious to know if this is a constant thing or only sporadic? Also I wonder - did this just start happening after the guitar sounding fine for a long time prior to this?
The reason I ask is 1) if it is only sporadic it may be related to how you're playing. I know that there are times when I pick up my guitar, get half way through a song and just put it back down because for whatever reason I'm not playing it well at that moment. No fault of the guitar, just has more to do with my own mood or energy level. 2) if this is something that has just slowly crept into the sound over a bit of time but it was fine before it is probably the strings. It could also be the guitar mellowing with age. Things like temperature, humidity and exposure to sunlight can affect the tone of the guitar pretty quickly and can also take it out of tune pretty fast.
Just some things to think about, but as a first step I'd slap some new strings on to her and see if she smiles back at you. If the strings you currently have on are getting long in the tooth it could be just as simple as that.
Good luck.

TakamineEG341C wrote:

I know that there are times when I pick up my guitar, get half way through a song and just put it back down because for whatever reason I'm not playing it well at that moment. No fault of the guitar, ...

That's strange.  Whenever that happens to me, it's always the guitar's fault.  big_smile

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The stars will shine to-night, to-morrow new strings will play over the highland glens. [anon].

if new strings dont work, try getting a new bridge peice at the bottom, next to the pegs that hold the bottom part of the strings, the way that plastic peice is shaped can have alot to do with how the guitar sounds.