Topic: Hollow bodied eletric guitar

Hi  all
         I  have a a cheap solid bodied electric guitar  which i dont like the sound of,(also a Freshman acoustic which i like a lot)
Am looking to replace the electric one with another with a hollow bodied one, my m8 has a Gretsch  and it sounds great!! but alas i cannot afford.
Now ave searched the internet and seen a few,likes of "Washburn" & "Epiphone" some with brand names ave never heard of ,likes of "Alden" ..can anyone advise on quality please?

Thanks in advance

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Re: Hollow bodied eletric guitar

Hi Micky,

My advise to you is to go out and try the guitars. What I think about a particular guitar is not important, it will be you that will be playing it so it need one that both feels and sounds good to you. I am not concerned with brand names, if a guitar suits my wallet, my hands and my ears it is what I will buy.

Good luck,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks for your reply,
                                    i do intend to try out some guitars, i know the sound am looking for,which i think will only get from a hollow or maybe chambered body?. Its just ave not been playing the guitar for long and know very little about pick ups/ hardware Etc,and  probably guitars out there just worth stick wood lol... any suggestings on  make and models worth trying would be of help,my pocket allows £300 sterling so am limited

thanks again

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Micky

I've tried the Epiphone Dot Deluxe Flametop Semi-Hollow (copy of Gibson ES335) and it sounded very good ... I had always been curious as to the sounds of a semi-hollow and decided to give it a try ... I went to GuitarCenter and plugged a Gibson ES335 it into a Marshall MG30DFX and was blown away by the sound ... not being able to afford a $2500+ price tag I tried out the Epiphone version ($449) and it sounded great ... mind you not as beautiful as the Gibson but it still sounded great ... my next guitar purchase will be that one ... the tones were wonderful and perfect for your U2, Cult type rock tones

I'd highly recommend it ... I'm not that big on the dot inlays since I prefer the Gibson Traps better but all-in-all, it sounds great

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I have an Epiphone Dot and have really been enjoying it. It can produce a wide variety of sounds--jazz, blues, rock--pretty much everything I need for my meager chops.  I'd endorse it....plus, you can't beat it for the price. 

Another thing to consider is Ibanez (http://www.ibanez.com/hollow/).  They seem to offer a wide range of prices and features.  I haven't tried one out myself, but I have a friend who bought on a while back as a second electric, mostly for jazz, and he loves it.

Good luck.  The choices are overwhelming aren't they...?

£300 really is quite limiting for a semi. There's alot more work making the top back and sides compared to a solid which just gets cut out on a computer controlled machine. Also semis tend to get given bling finishes for the jazz/western vibe but these cost. One to consider is Spear whose walnut topped 'open pore finish' semi is close to your price mark. Also look out for Gretsch 5120s which should be circa £500. Watchout if buying off the Bay as semis are a bit more fragile than soild electric guitars, make sure pictures of neck joints are real clear...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

I'm not much into electrics, so my experience is more with acoustics, but I do have a couple of electrics. One of them is an Ibanez AS83vv Semi-hollow body. Here's a pic of mine http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2209/179 … 20c8_b.jpg  I think it ran me about $450 a couple of years ago. They stopped making this exact model but still carry the AS line up. It has been a real joy to play. A very flexible and well toned guitar! I'd recommend them. I think they excell in their price range. Just thought I'd drop in my .02.. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

With hollow bodies alot of the time you will get decent sound. It's really about what sound or type of music you like. I bought a hollow body for it's acoustic ability and was disappointed when i got it home and plugged it in. I eventually re toned the pickups from the warm jazz tone to the bright acoustic tone i was wanting and now i love my hollow body. Now it's like a really nice acoustic electric without the feedback problems.

Mickey, I was out buying a Palomino V32 and not even shopping for an electric, but the AR-73 by Ibanez is so stunning and sounds really sweet for $300 I had to buy it.  Boy have I been pleased.  Everybody that's tried it seems to agree it's a great playing guitar.

gretsch 5120.  should be right in your ballpark.  I got one for christmas and haven't put it down.

Another Gretsch 5120 owner here.  Save up and get the Gretsch, you will not regret it.  You might even be able to find one on eBay in your ballpark.  In addition to sounding good, looking good and playing easily right out of the box, they are a wonderful platform if you're into modding.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

I've always had my eye on a Gretsch 6120 but the 5120 is much more affordable and I keep hearing really good stuff about them...has anyone been able to play both for comparison?

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Many of the folks over on gretschpages.com have played both; and while the 5120 is by no means in the class of the "pro-series" models, most profess to be impressed with the quality and sound of the 5120, particularly at its price point.  The stock humbuckers on the 5120 are darker and not as Gretsch-y sounding as the filtertrons that come on the 6120, and the 5120 is a slightly heavier 5-ply laminate whereas the pro series are a lighter 3-ply.  I'm sure there are other construction differences, but those are the biggies.

It is pretty simple, and not too terribly expensive, to make a "budget 6120" out of the 5120, I've done it to mine with a custom pickguard and jackplate, rocking bar bridge, grover locking tuners and TV Jones pickups.  My total investment is around $1100 including the guitar, parts and labor; half of what you would pay here in the States for a Pro-series.  I haven't had the opportunity to do a side-by-side sound comparison, but I think mine sounds awfully good.

--David St. Hubbins

I just saw this thread over on gretschpages.com, that addresses this question:  http://gretschpages.com/forum/electroma … 514/page1/

--David St. Hubbins

Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin.   Find one.  Sit down with it for a while.  Take it home.

Now available in 5G !

Hey Mickey mate.

I've not heard of Alden but checked out their website. I guess that the Korean connection is Young Chang - they make guitars for loads of people including Charvel and Ibanez and I can vouch for their quality.

Go and try as many of the kind that you want that you can get your hands on, but don't prevent yourself being side tracked along the way.

Post a picture or a link of what you get.

Howay the lads! Cheers m8.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

I've just bought an Ibanez AFS 95 with a whamy. I just love it. I picked it up in the shop. After a couple of minuts. I knew it was coming home with me.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

I have a Gretsch 5125 and love it. It's like a 5120 but with single coil pickups. It's not real expensive & gets the hollow body sound the best.
! be careful of factory seconds on eBay!! They had many production problems when they started. With any Gretsch, Don't buy it it if the serial number has been removed.

If you want a hollow sound, make sure you get a guitar which is hollow. The 335 is semi hollow. It looks like a semi but plays more like a Les Paul.  the 330 or ES175 etc are hollow.  Look at the brige. If there is a tail piece, then the guitar will be hollow. If not there will be a sound block inside. 

Ibanez are making some lovely hollow bodies at the moment.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

Our band sports a Gretsch/Bigsby combo run through a Fender tube amp, and it's the sweetest thing you've ever heard.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]