Topic: responses

hi chordies it amazes me that with over 200,000 members all looking at each others posts we only get minimum  replies to our work,the imput helps us to create more works of art for members to view,there is usually loads of veiws but few replies....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Re: responses

daddycool I wonder how many of the over 200,000 members are active on Chordie most just use the site for songs searches and dont participate in forum discussions so its a misleading figure also keep in mind there is a very small percentage of songwriters on Chordie who post regularly

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Daddy a few other reasons you get loads of views and hardly any responses are....

People just lurk, they post nothing but read a lot to what we are all typing.
People have no reply so dont type anything
some people might not like what they read ( for instance a song in songwriters) and they dont like it and been brought up on the " if you've got nothing good to say then dont say nothing" sort of attitude.
Also the same people go back in and read replies to keep up with a thread. this gives more views.

I am guessing here but I would say out of the 200,00 there is only about 50 -60 regulars in the forum that type? maybe more maybe less, just a guess

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

daddycool wrote:

hi chordies it amazes me that with over 200,000 members all looking at each others posts we only get minimum  replies to our work,the imput helps us to create more works of art for members to view,there is usually loads of veiws but few replies....stay cool

When one tries too hard to force a response from a viewer/listener/reader  it often makes that person even less likely to reply. Don't worry about the responses or lackthereof  from others just do what you do and get out what is within.......

Give everything but up.

Hi Daddy, I got to agree with both Russ and Ken. There's lots of lurkers out there that don't feel like posting/responding for whatever reason they have. Like the problems you see on Youtube...I am glad that only a select few are responding.

Now I gotta go cause I saw a couple of posts from you that I want to respond to. smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

...and often I'll play a 4 hour gig and get almost no respose all night, but my tip pitcher will be full of money. Other nights I'll get applause and vocal encouragement after each and every song, but the tip pitcher is completely empty. We can't control how people react in the world of art, we can only present our art to the best of our abilities......

Give everything but up.

Hi fellow chordian's,
                              I am with the if you've got nothing constructive to say better to say nowt.

I do lurk wink  and a i do post( sometimes i waffle! like now lol)...i find it hard to comment on some posts ..like song writing  etc as i know very little about it. what i do know is Chordie has a hardcore of  members willing to share anything they can and i appreciate that.So its 3 Cheers to them!!

Micky

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Hi Guys ,
   There is something I'd like to say on this subject and I hope that any lurkers or newbies will see it and realize that this site is not like most ... Before finding Chordie , I signed up on more than a few sites like it and found that on most of these sites there are a small number of oldtimers that just seem to hang out waiting for a new person to sign up and post something so they can come down on them like a ton of bricks like they're not wanted ... Does'nt take long before you're gun shy and don't want to even ask a question ... When I first found Chordie , I just cruised the forums and kept my mouth shut for a good couple of months before posting anything here ... (Amazing how much there is to be learned by just doing that and not participating ...)
When I did finally post something , I was amazed at the warm welcome I received ... I knew I had found a place for me ... 
    Chordie is unlike any of those other sites , and it's the good folks here that make it what it is ... So any of you folks out there that have had bad experiences on other sites , just give Chordie a try because you're wanted here , and you may just have something to offer the rest of us ...... Thanks ...
                   Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Gosh Darn it, you fellers caught me lurkin again.

Lurkin sounds kinda creepy like a peeper or somethin.

Later, Wayne P

Hey wlbaye ,
   L O L , it does , does'nt it ?? But you know what ?? A lot of times I do the same thing because I can lurk and not even log in unless there's something that I want to ( or think that I need to ) respond to , L O L ... Just another thing that I love about this place besides all the great people on here ..... So I say , lurk away , L O L .....
                   Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

wlbaye wrote:

Gosh Darn it, you fellers caught me lurkin again.

Lurkin sounds kinda creepy like a peeper or somethin.

Me too. I do not want to be a peeper!!! I'm reading this post and don't have much to say but....

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Absolutely, to all of you!  I was on here a year or more before I felt that I had anything to contribute, that's why I never responded.  I was very new to the guitar and forums or had experienced some bad habits on other forums.  And like a few I was learning from all your wisdom but when I did finally have something to contribute, I was given a very warm welcome.  big_smile  I always feel bad when I see a post not even answered though.  I feel like I should at least say, Hey, good question/comment or whatever but I really don't know, you know? Nothing worse than nobody even acknowleding you.  And then there's been times that I've done that or tried to give what knowledge I might have and not even been given a "thank you" from the poster.  So I guess it's a two way street.  Maybe some people just don't want to put themselves out there to be taken advantage of?????  I know the regular's on here are always appreciative though and to you I tip my hat!  And to everyone else, don't be shy, join in, we don't bite.  wink

Cheers
RavenLady

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

hi everyone thanks for all the imput i've a better understanding of the way the system is working and i hope everyone is getting as much pleasure from the site as me....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

I agree with Russell "most just use the site for songs searches and dont participate in forum discussions". Also, many subscribers  ask a question at one moment and never visit the forums again.

Mario I checked out your site some good video instructions and lessons on theory and I think the price (free) is great for anyone who wants to learn also some nice chops ya got smile

marioguitarlessons wrote:

I agree with Russell "most just use the site for songs searches and dont participate in forum discussions". Also, many subscribers  ask a question at one moment and never visit the forums again.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

i'll second that.
And free!! not something we see everyday.
If anyone is wanting to learn scales then your site is very good and explains pretty good to with a video too.

Ken

17 (edited by marioguitarlessons 2009-05-22 11:55:54)

Thanks Russell and upyerkilt for your feedback. It's good to know I am contributing in some way.

Take care guys.

http://www.guitar-lessons-in-seconds.com

Mario A.

I recently did a look at the membership list and I'd say 90 to 95% of the so called members has never posted anything at all!! I don't know why there even considered members!! I know some think we don't need another section, but some other sites I've been to have an introduction section and some go even further by requiring that you post in there before you can even post in certain other sections like "songwriting". I for one think thats a good idea. It takes away the "lurker" status and lets everyone know who's who.

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

I've only been on this site for like a day and I've gotten a bunch of replies on posts I've made.
And they're all from people trying to be friendly and helpful. I would rather hear from a few
genuinely caring people who want to help rather than from 50 people just commenting for the
sake of it you know?:)

Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music.  ~Ronald Reagan

Part time poster, full time lurker here.
I often log on at work during lunch or breaks.  I don't always have time to post but I like to check in to see what's being discussed. Now back to lurking...
Jim

Greetings Daddycool,

Like you I have noticed that there are not a bunch of responses to some topics.  Being a "lurker" and I would like to think, fairly active member, there are a lot of posts that I personally read but do not respond to.  Not being a songwriter/performer myself, that section does not garner as much of my attention as others.  Usually I will read many, and comment only if I feel that I have something valuable to contribute, rather than simply rephrase earlier comments.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

22 (edited by arkady 2009-05-23 10:20:22)

daddy
As a contributor to the songwriting section. I'm always delighted with any response I get as I don't really expect to much in the way of comments. I like yourself always answer any comment I receive as I consider someone who have taken the time to write a comment deserves a personal "thank you"
I have my Music on three websites "Myspace Ourstage and Soundclick" I have had thousands of plays and all these websites have the facilities to post comments on songs and the reponse is miminal. It's just that most people are lurkers who look/listen and that's it..
All I can say is keep em coming my friend..
ark

Doug_Smith wrote:

Usually I will read many, and comment only if I feel that I have something valuable to contribute, rather than simply rephrase earlier comments.

Take Care;
Doug

bang on Doug,

I might even do this myself sometimes but if i do I say something like " this might have been said......"

people do not read all the replies that the original question gets and they post a reply that is duplicating someone elses, whether they are aware of it or not. But at least it shows that folk are willing to try help others, might not read lol but they still try and help which is good.

the silliest dulicate replies i have seen is someone asked how to play a certain chord. They got a reply showing exactly where to place their fingers, the na few days later and several posts later, even though it has been answered someone else types in the exact same diagram of how to hold the chord. Then ye think WHY????????
Fair enough if ye dont read every post and then reply but it would be easy to scan through and see if any diagrams are there.

Other ones are people replying to posts that got made up march 2008. People read through these old posts and think they still need a reply and some maybe do but why would someone reply on a public board a year later? do they think a person is actively looking at this to see if someone will reply? If it were me I would give up waiting on a reply after a week

Ken

hi everyone thanks for all your comments ,i was trying for my 200th song to celebrate 2yrs on chordie but only got to 197 have to try harder next year....stay cool chordies