1 (edited by ranthalas 2009-06-11 20:42:29)

Topic: Tuning issue or mebbe I'm just crazy. Any help appreciated

Ok, so I just bought a new Epiphone steel string and, everything with it sounds great, but for some reason my 1E string sounds off. It either buzzes on me or sounds really tinny. I've tried tuning it and the electronic tuner I have says its hitting the right pitch.

I haven't taken the guitar in yet to have it set-up, so its stock off the shelf, I'm planning on doing that next week. I am a total beginner at this and just looking for some advice on what may be causing this.. .am I strumming too hard ? It happens MOSTLY when its open. Usually if I'm bending the string it sounds fine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edit: If this is not the right place for this post I apologize, please let me know where I should be putting stuff like this if I'm in the wrong spot.

Re: Tuning issue or mebbe I'm just crazy. Any help appreciated

Needs to be set up by a pro. Could be a number of things ranging from simple to complex. Most times it's a quick fix. If it's new bring it back to the music store you bought it from; they should have set it up in the first place. If they're worth their salt, they'll step up and fix it for you. If you bought it on line, you'll have to incur the cost (hope you saved enough buying on line to pay for the set up).

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Yeah, I have to take it back to them for a setup. Their tech wasn't in when I bought it (one of the problems with working till almost 5pm) so I have a free setup from them in the first week. I was hoping it was something like that because I really love the way the guitar sounds and the feel on the neck is a lot nicer than the spanish classical I was trying to learn on.

thanks for the information. Its awesome having a place like this to go to for help and advice.  Really appreciate it

Hi Ranthalas and Welcome to Chordie!

This is likely the right place for your question... but it might be helpful to know which model Epi we are talking about here.  Just guessing, but my first suspect is a set-up problem.  I'm thinking at the nut end as you said that the sound improves when the string is fretted... perhaps the nut is cut too wide, too deep or off angle, but it could be as simple as a tall fret wire.  A Luthier will likely find it right off and be able to correct the issue without too much trouble, so having it checked is a good start.

Chordie is the best place on the web for folks beginning, and for those of us who are continuing our education musically.  So once again Welcome Aboard and hope your new guitar and you form a long and lasting friendship.

Take Care and don't be a stranger;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

When I get home I'll find out what model smile I can't remember off the top of my head.

Thanks for the welcome!

Epiphone AJ-100cena

Ranthalas,  I've been through a lot of guitars in my life.  The one thing I've always done once I've gotten it home is change the strings.  I don't care if the manufacturer says they've used the best strings in the universe, I always change the strings.  The last guitar that I bought new came with a new set of D'Addario .011's on it.  I cut them off  and replaced them with a new set of the  same strings.  It may sound crazy but most of my "tinny" "buzzy" "thin" etc sounds have disappeared with the application of new strings.

Once you change your strings, check the intonation with an electronic tuner.  Strike the E string open and tune it to pitch. Then on that same string, Fret it at the 12th Fret and see if its tuned to the same note or whether is flat or sharp.  If the pitch isn't correct, then you might want to think about a professional set up.  Until then, try a string change.

By the way,  Welcome to Chordie.

Now available in 5G !