Topic: Today's artists versus the classics

Easy and simple with who you can compare Paul Mccartney? I guess Mozart.
And the others? YOUR OPININION

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Today's artists versus the classics

I think Mozart had more ladies but McCartney ain't no slouch, as far as music I get pleasure listening to both but I would give the edge to Mozart smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

I think Mozart had more ladies but McCartney ain't no slouch, as far as music I get pleasure listening to both but I would give the edge to Mozart smile

I'd second that. Although I don't know about lyrically :-)

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

There shouldn't even be a discussion with this one ... Mozart hands down

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Who's Mozart and what's his latest CD called!!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Riverdales wrote:

You don't want to be flippant about Mozart.  If your avatar correctly suggests that you like metal music, you've GOT to like Mozart.  He was the party hardy rock star of his day, he completely turned music on it's ear, AND the grand-daddy of all speed metalists, Yngwie Malmsteen, uses Mozart licks and musical techniques to this day!  Everyone influenced by Yngwie is influenced by Mozart. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:
Riverdales wrote:

You don't want to be flippant about Mozart.  If your avatar correctly suggests that you like metal music, you've GOT to like Mozart.  He was the party hardy rock star of his day, he completely turned music on it's ear, AND the grand-daddy of all speed metalists, Yngwie Malmsteen, uses Mozart licks and musical techniques to this day!  Everyone influenced by Yngwie is influenced by Mozart. 

- Zurf

Well said Zurf....
Without the genuis of Mozart I doubt if modern music would have evolved in the same way..
I wonder quite how music would turned out without him..
ark

8 (edited by Riverdales 2009-06-13 04:16:23)

I didn't mean to be Flippant, what that statement really meant was that even though I've heard of mozart, because I'm a musician, but I don't know mozart musically as I'm sure that not alot of the younger crowd "KNOW" him either, sure I've heard some of his music but let's just say it didn't inspire me. I like metal it's true and I'm sure classical has it's roots in all music, but to be honest when I listen to altar of sacrifice from slayer I really don't hear the classical roots of mozart in there! But I do give it up to all who've had a hand in expanding our musical horizins, even mozart!! Sincerely, young and dumb and my string just popped!!!!!!!!!!!

arkady wrote:
Zurf wrote:
Riverdales wrote:

- Zurf

Well said Zurf....
Without the genuis of Mozart I doubt if modern music would have evolved in the same way..
I wonder quite how music would turned out without him..
ark

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

9 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2009-06-13 11:01:01)

Zurf wrote:
Riverdales wrote:

- Zurf

Actually Yngwie Malmsteem ( The Speedin' Sweedin') was primarily inflenced by Niccolo Paganini. I saw him a few weeks back on some late night metal show and he demonstrated some of Paganinis' mastery.

Give everything but up.

Riverdales wrote:

I didn't mean to be Flippant, what that statement really meant was that even though I've heard of mozart, because I'm a musician, but I don't know mozart musically as I'm sure that not alot of the younger crowd "KNOW" him either, sure I've heard some of his music but let's just say it didn't inspire me. I like metal it's true and I'm sure classical has it's roots in all music, but to be honest when I listen to altar of sacrifice from slayer I really don't hear the classical roots of mozart in there! But I do give it up to all who've had a hand in expanding our musical horizins, even mozart!! Sincerely, young and dumb and my string just popped!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Riverdales
I don't think you were being flippant. It was the sort of comment I would have made years back. I was into Led Zep etc then and had no idea who Mozart was other than old dead composer. He certainly didn't inspire me......
It wasn't until I got older (I know boring) that I got into classical music and I realised it true worth to modern day music.
Saying who was influcenced by who can be become partly misleading as all modern day music and musical styles owe their exsistence to composers/musicians like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven the list goes on and on.
ark

In an interview with him, I heard Yngwie Malmsteen say that he was influenced by Mozart.  That's not to say that he didn't have other inspirations and influences, but they do not diminish the influence by Mozart.  Mozart's influence on metal was at question, not all the influences of Malmsteen.  He even did a straight up version of some Mozart, and then rocked it.  The little speed fills that almost all metal-heads use are direct descendants of the fills that Mozart used on harpsichord.  But to say that Beethoven with his heavy bass structures or Paganini with his shocking blasts to full orchestral volume from soft strings didn't affect metal would be overstating Mozart's contribution. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Okay,

So which one of those old dead mutants do we get to blame for dreaming up the B Chord?  LOL

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

This dude rocks some Bach on the guit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afldH1gkkCw

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Doug_Smith wrote:

Okay,

So which one of those old dead mutants do we get to blame for dreaming up the B Chord?  LOL

Doug

I do believe the B chord was brought to you by the same old Greek dude that brought us geomotry.  Pythagorus or some such.  I expect he brought all that meanness on the world because his Momma gave his that name. 

- Zurf

What a discussion, for a simple but tricky question.
There are albums were "rockers"or better A PIANIST, playing YESTERDAY in such a style that they play it like
- Mozart
- Beethoven
- Bach (man Turner overdrive)
Mozart was a genious but like a lot of this guys he is probably THE FIRST rock star. Also SALIERI. I should say MOZART matches sir PMC and SALIERI matches the DAVE CLARK FIVE.
Another strange fact WHY ARE ALL THE REAL CLASSICS like MOZART, BEETHOVEN, BACH from EUROPE? Most of them had their highlights in the late 17th - early 18th century.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]