Topic: Youngter's Angst Summed Up In 5 chords?

I've been searching for songs that even I can play and it seems like a great deal of the ones that are modern rock/alternative are comprised of the following chords...

AM

EM

C

G

F

Anyone else notice this?

Guitar: Jay Turser "Statue of Liberty" guitar
I've decided to name it (drum roll please) Liberty.
I'm a noob guitarist but I have the love of a pro.
I want to learn everything I can.

2 (edited by NELA 2009-06-26 03:50:04)

Re: Youngter's Angst Summed Up In 5 chords?

Seersha, you could be right but any song needs to be in a key the singer can sing in comfort and get their best projection. With the chords you mentioned the key would be "C".

C = 1st. (major chord)
Am = 6th and is the relative minor for C.
F = 4th. (major chord)
G = 5th (major chord) could be played as a G7 which has a great sound when returning to C.
Em = this is the relative minor chord for G and would be played as an off chord. As an off chord it could also be played as a E or as a E7 chord depending on the sound you are looking for.

I believe I've stated this correctly. If not someone will correct me.

If your voice is best suited to the key of G you could take the same somg you mentioned above and the chords would be;

G = 1st (major chord)
Em = 6th and is the relative minor of G.
C = 4th (major chord)
D = 5th (major chord) could be played as a D7 which sounds good when returning to G.
Bm = this is the relative minor of D and is played as an off chord. As an off chord it could also be played as a B or a B7 chord.

Just because a song is written in a certian key it is not a sin to make changes in order to help the singer. Be flexible and learn how to transpose chords when needed.

Nela.

Oh I didn't know about anything like that. I don't know anything about singing, just noticed that a lot of the songs I've looked for have the same chords over and over again. I guess that key is easy to learn? I wouldn't even know how to find my own key.

Guitar: Jay Turser "Statue of Liberty" guitar
I've decided to name it (drum roll please) Liberty.
I'm a noob guitarist but I have the love of a pro.
I want to learn everything I can.

Hi Seersha,

Interesting thread, and you are right.... a lot of the music is in the key of C.  It is not a bad range for most singing voices although a bit high for us guys (OK most guys), but the chords in that key are relatively easy to learn and are "comfortable" changes.

As for finding you own "native key", the easiest is to find that artist that you find it most comfortable to sing along with.  Note which tunes you think you sound best singing with and look up the music for those.  Note the key that the music is scored in and you will likely have a clue as to where your range is.  Once you know your own key, you can transpose any piece of music to that key and sing along knowing that you are in the zone and are not going to have to strain to do well.  The transpose feature in Chordie is very helpful in making those changes and printing the tune for practice.

Have fun and Take Care;
  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Key? Holy CApo! Boy, do I have a lot to learn. And I thought chord progerssions were challenging.

NELA wrote:

Em = this is the relative minor chord for G and would be played as an off chord. As an off chord it could also be played as a E or as a E7 chord depending on the sound you are looking for.

Em is the III of C major, and fits perfectly well there.    Lots of those spooky western sounding tunes you hear and think are in a minor key are actually based on this, the Phrygian mode.

Bm = this is the relative minor of D and is played as an off chord. As an off chord it could also be played as a B or a B7 chord.

Same story here.  Bm is the III of G major.  The appropriate 7 chord would be Bm7.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

G = 1st (major chord)
Em = 6th and is the relative minor of G.
C = 4th (major chord)
D = 5th (major chord) could be played as a D7 which sounds good when returning to G.

Thats an awesome chord progression!!
Thanks!!

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Jerome is right. I counted the wrong finger when I was "stepping" through the progressions. Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone. But the point I was trying to make remains the same. Just because a song was recorded in a certain key doesn't mean you cannot change the key to fit your voice. In order to remain true to the song the rythem / tempo of the song would remain the same.

Nela

Hi Seersha, you'll only find your true range by picking songs and singing along. When you can't sing it or your throat strains then clip on the capo and try 2nd or 4th fret. If those aren't close go up or down one till you can manage the song comfortably.

Couple of tips

1) As you sing in practice your voice will warm up and songs that first you found rough will sweeten and become easier to make shine.

2) When you play in front of people you get a bit more adrenalin and sometimes you can sing an whole semitone (1 fret) higher.

2) Even when you find your key it may worth transposing chords. I've just taken 'When You Say Nothing At All' out of G and into key of C. In both cases I was playing on 3rd fret so it as actually Bflat but somehow Eflat suits me and the melody more.

3) Watch out for little trills and peaks pro-singers often put into a song. You don't usually need to do these. The true melody of a song will reveal itself.

4) There are some songs that just don't match in with your range well. Born singers are lucky enough to have wide ranges where this isn't true and with use and practice all our vocal ranges widen.

5) Some songs just match in with particular styles of speaking and accents. If you stumble on a lyric it may just be because you wouldn't say it that way. Sometimes it's alright to change them, but..

6) Some lyrics can't be messed with, you have to learn to breath and pace them right and then the song and guitar chords become far clearer.

To come back to your main point I've noticed that major chords tend to be confident and happy but minor chords tend to be sad and reflective. Sounds obvious however alot of pop songs tend to use the trick of a happy message with a minor key or a mournful song in a major. This somehow balances out, suggesting a silver lining to every cloud.

The real basic division in songs is between 12 bar blues derived stuff (3 chords) which tend to make '-- shapes on the fretboard and Western European progressions which work round a h shape. I'm sure Jerome and NELA can explain better. Don't worry about those for the moment concentrate on clear singing and keeping guitar and vocal together...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'