Topic: Travel guitar

I just bid on a travel guitar. Anyone ever use one of these? Man it looks cool.

http://www.lindo.ltd.uk/Ebay/2008/10_October/Blue%20Star%20Travel%20Guitar/Smaller/Blue%20Star%20Travel%20Perspective.jpg

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Re: Travel guitar

That is a nice looking guitar.  I've always wondered how they sound.  Never heard one.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I was outbid sad

At first I wasn't sure whether I wanted one or not. Then I was outbid and i realised I DO, I DO!

4 (edited by Stonebridge 2009-06-28 18:40:42)

You can get them on amazon (.co.uk) for £39 - I assume they are the Lindo guitars that are advertised on the chordie site.
They are a copy of the Martin Backpacker Guitar which retails at around £200.
The Martin has quite good reviews. I'm not sure about the build quality or sound of the Lindos. They come in black too.
I would suggest Googling around for Lindo Backpacker and reading some of the reviews.
Any guitar with such a small body is going to have a much less "full" sound compared with a standard shape. It is bound to sound thin in comparison. Having said that, the sound produced can be quite attractive if you are looking for a "light" tone.
I was looking for a travel guitar last summer and was interested in the Lindo but decided against it as I was not convinced of the quality.
Instead I went for a Troubadour. You can see one here
http://www.troubadour.uk.com/?page_id=6

I bought one of these Washburn Rovers a while back for travel. It serves it's purpose, but due to a few drawbacks and since most of my travel is by car instead of plane, I have hardly used it and prefer traveling with a full sized guitar.

http://images.miretail.com/products/optionlarge/Washburn/473710jpg.jpg

http://www.music123.com/Washburn-Rover- … 6.Music123

The things I dislike about about the guitar are:

Thin tone - You can't expect much in this regards from such a small bodied guitar, but it truly sounds more like a Uke or Banjo than a real guitar.

I could live with the tone well enough since it was just for practicing in the hotel room. What I really didn't like was the balance (or lack of). Due to the small size, all of these guitars are inherently neck heavy and require the use of a strap even while sitting. This may not bother some folks, but I really didn't care for it and couldn't get used to it.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Never been sure what travel guitars are for. If you're after less baggage I'd look for a parlour guitar with a proper fitted case. If you're after a quiet practise tool then check Yamaha's silent guitars but since I like to sing and play I can't help but be heard. If you like the cool look then go the whole hog and get a flying V ;-)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

I'm interested in it really just for camping and stuff where quality tone is not my 1st priority. And it's only 40 quid! I'll give a fullreport later.

Al,

I got a baby Orzak travelling guitar, cost £120 a few years ago. I got it mainly for when I go hillwalking. It is easier to bungee cord it onto my rucksakc than a ful size guitar.
It works great for me and also the sound is very good.
Yep Travel guitars are very good for that.
BUT.
If you are getting it mainly for camping then think a few things through.

If you walk like I do to get to your camping/bothy site then yes get one but if you drive to where you camp then I would say use your full sized guitar as it will always gove a fuller sound. Especially when playing outside, the travel guitars lose a bit of sound as the body is smaller.

Me and 3 mates went walking over the hills on Jura a few years ago. I had the travel guitar and one of my mates had his full sized guitar. He struggled more than me walking in because of his guitar.
When in the bothy and we were going to have a jam, he laughed at the sound my guitar made as he played his.
A few months ago we went to another bothy. This time he had bought a £40 baby yamaha guitar. It looks good but he was a bit miffed when he compared the two guitar sounds. My guitar won, he admitted he was wrong to say it was rubbish when we were on Jura. He now thinks it is superb. He does not like his travel guitar at all.

So my advice is if you are really wanting/needing a travel guitar then spend the time going to a shop to play them. Also maybe spend a bit more on them if it is neccessary. Or go to a shop to see what good ones there are about then bid for one online.

The best travel guitar I have heard without doubt is the Baby Martin guitar. But I could not afford the £300 at the time.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thanks for that, Ken. Well, I went and bought it. Should be delivered in the next couple of days. It's more for ease of packing. The last few times we've been camping there's been no room for the guitars. I'm also a big softie and am scared I damage my baby. It was a gift and I really love it. So, a £40 travel guitar will fit better in with the gear and I don't particularly care if it gets bashed about a bit. I read a few good reviews and they seem to agree that it has a bigger sound and deeper tone than you'd expect. All will be revealed soon. If I hate it I may be advertising it for sale  before to long.:lol:

If it's good enough for Shawn Lane, it's good enough for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENBw9F5kwhA

And Jonas Hellborg...

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Yeah I saw that. If it sounds like the martin then everything's cool.

Jerome I watched a few of his videos and its good enough for me too he is good and gooder smile

jerome.oneil wrote:

If it's good enough for Shawn Lane, it's good enough for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENBw9F5kwhA

And Jonas Hellborg...

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Al,
If you dont mind it getting bashed about a bit then you have made a good choice.
Even if it doesnt sound as good as the next guitar, it is still better than no guitar and it is easier for travelling.

looking forward to hearing your verdict on it.

Ken

upyerkilt wrote:

Al,

Even if it doesnt sound as good as the next guitar, it is still better than no guitar

Ken

Here here! big_smile

As a sailor on a 65 foot boat with six people aboard, the only place for my dreadnought guitar was in my bunk with me all night, every night. Bummer!
My wife bought me a Martin Backpacker for $200. There are so many places I could've stowed that. Alvee33, it looks and probably sounds like the Lindo you pictured.
A slim resonance chamber gives a ukelele - type sound but with a full neck you can play anything you need. the darn thing has to have extra light strings or it won't hold a tune. If it is not tuned close to 440 (standard with a tuner), it won't hold a tune.
I'm just a strummer. A travel guitar is good enough for me to sing with. I found a tiny tuner to go in the gig bag with a crank and spare strings. Guitar and gig bag together weigh 3 pounds.
If I wear a strap even when sitting, I can corrall it enough with my right arm to keep it from rotating on me.
A baby Taylor sounds better but a Lindo or Backpacker stow better in cramped quarters.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Well, I got it! It's pretty cool. It is a Lindo and it sounds OK. Here's a wee video of me showing it off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOBvtOPfu4E

It holds it's tune quite well. So far anyway, although I think a tuner will be an essential travel accessory.

Thanks for the thoughts, folks. Cheers.

Oh yeah!  That'll do. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Al,
That look not bad.
Is it quite thick? near the end you nearly turned it on its side and to me it looked quick thickish.

I was going to say with these guitar yer better wearing a strap but I know you know that coz I heard ye say it just when i was thinking it lol

I am off for a 7 or 8 miles walk tomorrow with my ozark from Corrour station ( previously seen in trainspotting) to Stoeineig bothy.
So this is the last from me til Sunday or Monday

Enjoy yer new baby

Ken

alvee33 wrote:

Well, I got it! It's pretty cool. It is a Lindo and it sounds OK. Here's a wee video of me showing it off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOBvtOPfu4E

It holds it's tune quite well. So far anyway, although I think a tuner will be an essential travel accessory.

Thanks for the thoughts, folks. Cheers.

Hi there,

Just found this your travel Guitar thread after having a google dig on the lindo 'Backpacker' style guitar.
Have just won an impulsive ebay auction for one of these Lindo's. Got real lucky and it is coming to me for £5.61 plus the postage.
So a cheap and cheerful new travel guitar for less than £19. Whatever it looks, feels and sounds like - I suppose I can't really complain. If its really that bad I guess I can chop it up for firewood.

So, now that you've owned it for a bit what are your views at this point. I suppose the biggest concern to me at this point is the width of the neck. The advert indicates 55mm at the 1st fret and 66mm(!!!!) at the 12th.
Thats really wide - in fact wider than a standard classical guitar and most bass guitars.
Am I going to have to search ebay for finger extensions???

Any advise appreciated.

Hey Meggiedude and welcome to Chordie! cool

Less than £20 for a travel guitar? Bargain! If you get fed up with it, don't burn it, I'll buy it from you for £15 including postage big_smile ! Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Hey Jerome! In that Shawn Lane vid, was he smoking a Bidi (Indian cigarette - tobacco wrapped in a bayleaf) or did he need the sunglasses? wink

My mate Big Bob from Briszle (don't argue!!!) bought himself a Martin Backpacker and let me play it (trust me, I was VERY careful!) I think the volume is much greater on yours Al, but the thing the Martin has is a VERY playable neck.

Hey Ken! I have a friend who works in the travel biz and he said there are many complaints about people going for a quiet walk in the highlands and being annoyed to find the hulls aleeve wi tha soond o' mewzuc; you wouldn't know anything about this, would you? big_smile

Brilliant thread! I now know lots more names and styles of travel guitar that I never knew existed! (I thought they were ALL like the Martin Backpacker!)

Good on yer all! cool

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Meggiedude,

A bargain indeed. Sure the neck is quite wide but it's not unplayable. It takes a few minutes to get your fingers into the swing of it but it's ok after that. Let's face it, if you wanted to sound very impressive and professional you'd take your "real" guitar, but for bashing out a few drunken songs and choruses it's all you need. You'll probably find that you really do need to put a strap on it. I did this and it was not a hard job. And since it cost you peanuts you're not afraid to drill holes in it. I put strap buttons at the base of the neck and at the end of the body. The one on the body I also added a bit of super-glue just to give it a bit of extra hold since the body is quite thin. You'll find it awkward to start with but you'll get used to it and be bashing out a few songs before you know it. I'd also say that it's probably a strummer rather than a picker. Or maybe that's just me.

All the best with it,

Al V

alvee33 wrote:

Meggiedude,

A bargain indeed. Sure the neck is quite wide but it's not unplayable. It takes a few minutes to get your fingers into the swing of it but it's ok after that. Let's face it, if you wanted to sound very impressive and professional you'd take your "real" guitar, but for bashing out a few drunken songs and choruses it's all you need. You'll probably find that you really do need to put a strap on it. I did this and it was not a hard job. And since it cost you peanuts you're not afraid to drill holes in it. I put strap buttons at the base of the neck and at the end of the body. The one on the body I also added a bit of super-glue just to give it a bit of extra hold since the body is quite thin. You'll find it awkward to start with but you'll get used to it and be bashing out a few songs before you know it. I'd also say that it's probably a strummer rather than a picker. Or maybe that's just me.

All the best with it,

Al V

Thanks for that. I did not expect to win it TBH, it was a late night punt after a few glasses of vino.
Of course it will not stop the missues b*ll*cking me when it lands on the doorstep tomorrow :-) but I'm used to that.

OK, I'll stick to the chords then - no fancy fingered stuff.

I could have done with it last week on hols up your neck of the woods - but there's always next time.

I'll let you know what I think of it shortly.

Cheers.

Aren't they a nightmare to hold and a bit tinny sounding? Looks the part right enough. Travel guitars, I should really get one for when I am on my travels : )

http://www.polarflamemusic.com

I checked out your you tube post Al.  I think for the money and purpose, it's perfect!  I'm sure it's much easier to play with a strap now too.  Have fun!

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

meggiedude wrote:

Of course it will not stop the missues b*ll*cking me when it lands on the doorstep tomorrow :-) but I'm used to that.

lol lol :LOL:

Me too!!!!!!

Ken