Topic: What comes first: Lyrics or music

When ur writing a song what do u make up first the words or the music, or does it even matter?

Re: What comes first: Lyrics or music

Personally, I don't think it matters. I've done both. I guess it really just depends what you come up with first. Sometimes you get a really good lyric going round your head and then think up what sort of mood you want to use to convey it and put the music down from there. Other time you might get a wee melody in your head and then put words to it. Go with whatever you feel is natural....just make music buddy!

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

For me always melody first. Words come easy for me; melody not so much. I'm not sure I ever started with lyrics.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Usually words first, though I have a collection of chord progressions that I am interested in using.

It can take a while for melodies to emerge. Some lines write their own melody.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Montana W. wrote:

When ur writing a song what do u make up first the words or the music, or does it even matter?

No it doesn't matter.
Though with me it's usually the music. I have been known to ditch the words and just keep the music... smile
ark

hi montana w i usually write the lyrics and have the tune going round in my head while i'm writing,but it does'nt matter as long as you get the finished song in the end,have fun....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

I'm generally a lyrics first person, but occasionally I'll start playing a tune, then think of some words which I begin singing over it...then that becomes the melody, or lack of it, in my case. smile

[url]www.freerice.com[/url]

I always get the idea for a lyric first, but as soon as it's there it has a tune. Then I pick up my guitar, and make it up as I sing. but yeah, it doesn't really matter. I have done both...

its kinda a mix of both, sometimes ill have the lyrics and then ill put a tune to it , but other times ill be like playing a tune and depending on the mood ill fit some words to it but it dont really matter what order you get it in smile

be your self , no-one else smile

For me, I usually can think of them both at the same time...  I'll just randomly start singing something and be like "hey that would make a great song", so then I go with it.  But really I don't think it matters all that much.

generally I try to come up with the guitar first,  lately I have these lyrics running threw my head so the guitar part writes its self. Just depends on the rhyme scheme

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat