Topic: Any free midi sequencers out there that anyone would reccomend?

Hi all,
I know how to use sequencers and will be getting a MAC and Logic Audio just as soon as I can afford it.  (Which might not be THAT soon...)   sad

In the mean time, have any of you guys used a freeware midi sequencer that you would reccomend?

My requirements are
1 - That it can save the files to a midifile. (.mid)

and that's it smile

I don't know how this site works, so if you could copy and paste your reply to my email I'd be really grateful.

russellraisey@hotmail.com

Thanks

Russell

Re: Any free midi sequencers out there that anyone would reccomend?

welcome to Chordie Russell (I like that name lol ) you can get a respose to your question right here in this forum and there are a few members like Doug Smith,Riddler,and fatstrings who are up to date on what your looking for so hang in bit and they will give you an answer or I will email them and make them aware of what your seeking smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Just an update...  I Googled "free midid sequencers" and a huge list came up. I downloaded a programme called "Anvil" and it works fine.  The interesting thing about Anvil is that I can sequence instruments  without being connected to a midi keyboard using nothing but Anvil and my laptop.  I like that.  music on the go. There is a  latency issue (using my laptop for data input)  but I can put up with that because it's free.
It's a really well thought out and programmed bit of software and I acheived exactly what I wanted to achieve in a couple of hours.  There is an upgraded version for $19 where multiple audio tracks can be recorded.  But since I'm not recording any audio tracks (just midi) there was no need.  I liked the feel of the Anvil. The midi files are exportable and you CAN save stuff and transfer it to another sequencer if you wish.
I'm used to working on Logic Audio, Cubase and Pro Tools and it would be unfair to compare Anvil to those (because it's free and they're very expensive) but there are some really nice functions and facilities in Anvil and I respect the guy (or guys) that developed it.  I even began to like them.  Thanks guys.
This would appeal to anyone who reads music (a bit).  I don't by the way.
I will enter an update here when I've got a little more used to it.  I won't be downloading another one, my search stops here. (Unless anyone emails me and starts off, "You fool  !!! Have you tried...?"
Thanks also to Russell Harding for emailing me within an hour of putting my question up.
(On a Sunday too!!!)
So I'm happy, I've started work on the album, all from the comfort of my living room.
Feel free to email me with questions.
God bless and all the best.
Russell R

Rraisey glad its working out for you I got to thinking about the latency issue and I remembered a post here in this forum about a free program that deals with this it was by riddler email him or Doug Smith if this becomes a problem or you think it could help smile

Hi Russell H, It's Russell R.
The latency issue isn't a problem to me at all. I was expecting it and I understand why it's doing it. 
The answer lies in "MIDI local ON / OFF" (with an external keyboard.)
But if you could send me Riddler's email (or Doug's) I would be interested to see if this IS curable by software. (I can't think how it could be though...)
My solution would have been to plug a midi keyboard in but I couldn't be bothered.
(I've always hummed the tune I'm playing loudly to myself and put up with it (from other sequencers) in the past.
I mentioned the latency issue because people NOT used to sequencers might have real doubts about it.
It's not a problem with the sequencer, it's the nature of midi processing.
But (in the spirit of a forum) I included that information to inform others.

Thanks, once again for your advice and support.

Russell R

Russell R if its not a problem then dont worry about it and I thought by now both would have read the topic and responded on there own but given the holiday (4th of july) I can understand I will be chatting with Doug on Google talk proberly later and mention it smile

Greetings Russell R and Welcome to Chordie!

I talked to Russell Harding this morning and he pointed me in the direction of your post, so I did a little research on Anvil Software to see if there was anything about latency that could be helpful.  Page 41 of the user's guide PDF describes something about setting the latency of your sound card's midi synth module in the software parameters to work around latency issues.  There might be some help in that area to attempt.  Usually laptops share memory resources with video and sound on the ram bus, so reducing the applications and services load on memory might speed things up a little.  Audio output runs faster through hardware than software, so if audio rendering is software driven, you might try switching to hardware rendering as well.  Granted hardware generally doesn't give you as many "voices" to render to, but after the midi track is scored, you can revert to software for playback and get the voicings you like if they are not available during the production process.

Hope that is not too confusing and somewhat helpful.

Again Welcome to Chordie, and
Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

cheers Doug and thanks for the info.
The latency thing really isn't an issue to me and I'm not complainign about it. 
We have a saying in England, "You shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth." 
Since the Anvil is free, I really don't want to criticise anything about it but if anyone else were to use it (especially those that are new to sequencers) they might judge the Anvil on that issue which would be a shame because (youre right) it has more to do with how the hardware and software is all plumbed in. 
So I hope this (bit of the) forum proves useful to someone one day.
I don't want to start messing with my PC internals because it belongs to work  (I sell Citrix for a living) and it could have all sorts of implications with other things not working properly.
So I'll put up with the latency and we will say no more about it.  Anvil is a fantastic little programme and I must write and thank the guys who wrote it just as soon as I have a free moment.  And thanks to you guys too for all your help and support.  I hadn't realised that you were in America (So I hope you had a good July 4th smile    An English man wishing an American a happy independance day... that's kind of funny isn't it?
If there is anything I can do to help you guys (or this forum) in the future, please don't be shy in sending emails my way.  I have a fair bit of knowledge with old school recording (1980 to 1998)  but I haven't kept up with the modern technilogies.  I'm also a fairly good guitarist.. So questions in either of those areas, send my way.
thanks again guys
Russell R

Howdy again Russell R, and thanks so much for the Independence Day good wishes.

Nothing odd about an Englishman wishing a Yank good tidings, as most of us originated somewhere in that part of the world.  My Mum was Scots/Irish and Dad was Swedish/Mongrel (insert chuckle here), my wife's family hails from Wales via Canada.  When it comes right down to it, very few of us "Americans" sprouted out of the ground here and have affection for our "roots" as it were.
Really there are no hard feelings remaining about the Revolution anymore.

It is funny though that Canada's Birthday got so much response in the Chat Corner, and nothing about Independence Day.... and to think that we thought we were well liked!  Another bubble burst. Your good tidings are heartfelt and appreciated.

If you get a notion, please consider enlisting in the Recording Section (Moderated by your friend Russell H), as talented folks with recording experience are always in demand and your knowledge would surely be an asset.

Keep in touch, and
Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

As usual well said Doug "gosh you should run for the common council" or do voice over for radio, wait a sec I think you already do something along those lines lol