Topic: Telecaster neck?

Spent an afternoon in my local Guitar Center. I tried a lot of different electric guitars and found that I liked the Fender telecaster neck the best. It has a thinner neck near the 2nd fret and fits my hand amazingly well.
  I'm currently playing an excellent Washburn Bettencourt Nuno with all the options. I love it but the neck seems a bit wide for me.
  The telecaster seems to be an old style guitar. What should I look for to get the feel of the Tele neck on a more modern design?

Thank you. - Shan

Re: Telecaster neck?

Hello sshields!  I have been a pro-guitarist for 35 yrs.  I don't hide the fact that I am 'old school'.  Fenders and Gibson's for me!   I have played everything over the years and rode all the fads and newest things.  There is a reason that Fender and Gibson are still top sellers. And the vintage models are prized the most.  An American made Telecaster will only increase in value while you enjoy it.  Buy that Tele if you like it and screw what people think.  Its about how it feels in your hand to you!  I see too many new artist playing them even now.  Keep in mind Fender makes different pickup and neck (maple, rosewood, etc.) variations to suit any taste and style.  Keep Jammin'

Hi Shan and Angrycolon, nice to see you posting in the forums.

On the neck question, it is likely going to come down to the wood chosen for the neck.  As you might guess some woods have greater strength and rigidity than others, and some are chosen for the tone that they impart (which is more in the acoustic models rather than in electrics).  For a thin fast neck I tend to be partial to rock maple in a 3 piece laminate a-la Gibson and some older Epiphones... guess that's why I own one.  Some of the Fenders have Ash which is quite dense and heavy, found commonly on older Stratocasters, as well as Maple.  Mahogany has good straight grain and light weight along with reasonable tone, but requires more mass because of it's flexibility.  In the end it is going to come down to what feels right for you, and shopping around making note of what you like and don't will give you a better idea of what to look for when you get really serious about laying down the hard cash.

If you are really fond of the Washburn you have, you might do a little shopping on the Internet at places like Warmouth and see if they make a replacement neck for the body you own in a profile and material you like.... could save a few bucks and finish out to one sweet axe!

Take Care, and keep in touch;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

If you are interested in a Telecaster style neck and sound but like the physical body stylings of the Stratocaster, you should check out the "Squier '51".

I have one of these and it's the greatest mixture of the two guitars. I can get every sound of each of them and others as well by splitting the bridge pickup to single-coil mode.

It's so awesome.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Thanks for the '51 recommendation. I am on the HUNT. smile Now if only I could get my wallet on board. Hehe. Looks like the reissues are about $500+ ish. Not out of the question but definately a step up from my 2nd hand Nuno for $230. Am looking at Warmoth and looks like they might be able to do it also since the N2 Bettencourt is mostly a strat copy. Thanks. - Shane

51's are around 200 if you can find one.
They will be collectors items in a few years.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I have generally played ovation acoustics over the years. Now with old age creeping up and a touch of arthritis setting in I have to make a change. The Fender tele and strat necks seem to fit me better for the same reasons you mentioned. They seem to be thinner and more comfortable. I chose a new Stratocoustic and I am thrilled with it. For an inexpensive guitar, ($250.) it has given me many hours of enjoyment. I have to admit that I will have to improve a bunch, to even be considered a poor guitar player, but I sure have fun.

Ditto here for the Stratacoustic,it sounds decent unplugged and great through an amp or P.A. The Teleacoustic may be a better choice for someone who likes a slightly fatter neck.

You probably not going to find a sweeter player than a Telecaster. It's just 1 comfortable guitar.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello