Topic: question about an acoustic/electric

so yeah, i started out on the cheap crappy one.  i've mastered quite a few chords and i'm puttin together some songs and stuff.  it's nice to see progress!  i'm getting a new guitar for my birthday in two months.  i'm looking at some acoustic/electric guitars.  the one i started on has some serious high action and has been ripping my fingers up pretty good.   i was wondering if an acoustic electric guitar would be easier to play.  i'm looking in the 300 dollar range and found a few that look pretty nice.  i played an electric briefly when i was much younger..and have been now teaching myself on this cheap acoustic for a little over a month.  any input would be appreciated!

Krysten

Re: question about an acoustic/electric

find one that plays nice and sounds nice if it looks good thats a plus smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Take another guitar player with you for impartial advice.

Hi Krysten,

As to you question about an Acoustic/Electric being easier to play..... Nah!  Remember that the predominant word is "Acoustic", it is after all an acoustic instrument that "happens to have" an electronic pickup on board and usually some sort of pre-amp and equalizer.

But firstly it is an acoustic guitar and should sound good as any other unplugged acoustic that you might consider buying. Electricity just makes it louder without having to get abusive with it.  Shop with the same guidelines as you would in choosing any instrument... get your paws on as many as you can and find the one that fits your style and hands.  Russell's advice is spot on.

Take Care;
Doug

PS: I play an Ovation A/E. and despite the references to "toy guitars are made of plastic, and real guitars are made of wood"  it works fer me!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Have you had the presend guitar set up for you ?
A new set of strings and a good set up will transform any guitar, this would also be a best thing to do with your new guitar.

Hi Doug, I also have an Ovation, mainly due to the fact that I mostly play electric guitar and the shape is better for me, I like it but I can play electric much better, which I find odd.
TonyBlue

man is the dream of the doliphin

Only reason you see electro-acoustics down as easier is they often have cutaways and smaller/shallower bodies which makes them easier to hold.

Electric guitars do take less finger strength, the strings are usually lighter and the neck longer. A low action is possible without affecting the sound since this comes from pickups. With acoustic you don't really want an ultra-low action since alot of the sound comes from pumping and working the strings as you pluck/strum. Stick with it and eventually your fingers will toughen up.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

well i found one that plays great, feels great, sounds great and is absolutely gorgeous to look at and was lucky enough to take it home with me last night!  i'm a much better player than i thought now that i found a real guitar..haha!  i can't put this thing down and can't wait to finally be able to use the tabs on this site!

What kind did you get?

[url]http://www.myspace.com/stevewaltherorchestra[/url]

Keep in mind when you are thinking about cost of an acoustic / electric guitar that you need to add the cost of a good quality acoustic amp. You can play thru a regular electric guitar amp but the sound will not be as good. Any guitar you buy WILL need to be properly set up to your playing style, as well as you going with as light a string as you can. Lighter guage strings will also help the fingers. Just as you want to play any guitar before you buy it you will also want to try different amps, with that guitar, before you make that purchase. Good luck.

Nela

If you are looking for a guitar that has low action and sounds good I find the Seagull is a very good buy. I was amazed at the low action on the seagull and the lack of buzz on the strings. I normally play a Martin D28 so I am used to low action guitars. I would strongly recommend the seagull as a low price quality instrument.

11 (edited by krystabulous 2009-08-27 14:10:29)

i ended up getting a yamaha apx500fm.  i'm very much in love and we are very happy together, i will never go back to the other guitar again.  i've donated it to my kiddos entertainment : )