Topic: String spacing on 12-string

I just bought myself a 12-string. Nothing expensive but good value for money from all the reviews I've read.
http://www.waldenguitars.com/D552.html
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the "ideal" spacing is between the two strings in each pair. I know they need to be close together but not so close as they cause a buzz.
Do any of you have any experience of the relative advantages/disadvantages of changing the spacing at the bridge?
Should the pair spacing at the bridge be the same as at the nut?

Has anyone here ever tried unusual tunings? I mean where you tune a pair to an interval other than an octave or unison?

All help and suggestions thankfully received.

Re: String spacing on 12-string

i believe the spacing at the bridge end should be the same as at the nut. when i bought my inexpensive 12-string a few weeks back, i restrung it and after i started playing, i simply moved the strings at the bridge end so they're parallel from nut to bridge,

luv that 12-string!

I've never tried to adjust the nut spacing but I had a friend many years ago that had a 12 string that was strung in triplets.  Four sets of three strings each.  it was tuned like a bass.  There is also a guy in Tucson that has an 18 string which I believe is strung in intervals rather than octaves.  Last time I saw him was 1994 in Tombstone, AZ. Amazing player.  My 12 string has been through too much in its 36 years and is now only tuned in Open G with octave pairs (DGDGBD).  I can't imagine having to learn the interval tuning.  Must be really tough.

Now available in 5G !

4 (edited by Stonebridge 2009-06-26 07:28:09)

Thanks guys.
yogachandra
As the guitar was set up, at the nut end the strings are such that each pair is separated by 2.5mm (3/32"), and the spacing between adjacent pairs is about 5mm (6/32"). (Gives 40mm width across the strings)
At the bridge all the spacings are greater. The pairs are about 3mm (4/32") apart and there is about 8mm (10/32") between adjacent pairs.
I would need to move the string pairs closer together at the bridge to make them parallel.
tandm
That tuning in triplets sounds fascinating. Can you remember exactly how he tuned the groups of 3. Did he use the same gauge strings as a normal 12-string? So the 3 bottom E strings would be one at low E and 2 an octave higher. It would need the nut grooves realigned. That's so whacky I might even try it. Not on my new guitar though!

tandm
That tuning in triplets sounds fascinating. Can you remember exactly how he tuned the groups of 3. Did he use the same gauge strings as a normal 12-string?

Sadly no, I can't remember how it was tuned.  I want to say it was a bass an octave and yet another octave but its been so many years I cant' remember.  Can't even remember the brand of the guitar but it was an acoustic.  I only remember it because it was very strange.  Too much water under the bridge to be more precise.  Sorry.

Now available in 5G !

6 (edited by keni010 2009-07-08 20:40:26)

Hiya, I have a Yamaha FG-413S-12 and really rate it highly. Try one if you get a chance. The spacing at the head end on the "thin strings" is 2mm and 2.25mm to 3mm on the others (graduating with thickness of string). There is 5mm between each pair of strings at the head end (nut?) and this gives an overall here of 40mm between string extremeties (head end again). This dimension is 53mm at the bridge.

Thanks keni010
Those spacings look very similar to mine. Are the pairs of strings parallel - with the same spacings, 2 - 3mm, at the bridge?

8 (edited by selso 2009-07-09 15:22:37)

Stonebridge wrote:

I just bought myself a 12-string. Nothing expensive but good value for money from all the reviews I've read.
http://www.waldenguitars.com/D552.html
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the "ideal" spacing is between the two strings in each pair. I know they need to be close together but not so close as they cause a buzz.
Do any of you have any experience of the relative advantages/disadvantages of changing the spacing at the bridge?
Should the pair spacing at the bridge be the same as at the nut?

Has anyone here ever tried unusual tunings? I mean where you tune a pair to an interval other than an octave or unison?

All help and suggestions thankfully received.

Hey Stonebridge,
I didn't see a price on that 12 string. Do you know what you payed in U.S. Dollars? As for tuning, I heard Leadbelly use to tune his to drop C because the necks back in those days couldn't handle the tension of standard tuning.
Selso

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I think they sell for around $250-300 in the States. Mine was £200 in the shop here.

Can anyone tell me how to tune a 12 string?

Its the same as a regular guitar, high to low, EBGDAE

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I always thought the smaller strings were tuned somewhat higher than the other six strings on the 12 string, can anyone let me know it it is a half step higher or not?

To expand on Selso's reply,

If you have the 12 string in the normal playing position the heavier of the paired strings are uppermost and are tuned as follows:

E - normal guitar tuning
E - but one octave higher

A - normal guitar tuning
A - but one octave higher

D - normal guitar tuning
D- but one octave higher

G - normal guitar tuning
G - but one octave higher

B - normal guitar tuning
B - normal guitar tuning

e - normal guitar tuning
e - normal guitar tuning

I hope that helps.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

You could also consider tuning 1/2 step down, because the guitar stays in tune longer and the octave g is really quite tight at normal tuning - they can snap! Also better for the neck if you leave it sitting around for a while.

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

Thanks for all the info. To tune with a tuner how do I make the second string 1/2 step down?

I think you misunderstood Sumelton, If you tune 1/2 step down the every string is tuned down and not just the second strings so it would be Eb, Eb, Ab, Ab, Db, Db, Gb, Gb, Bb, Bb, eb, eb.

In the 60's my 12er had to be tuned to D but in those days there were not the range of string gauges to relieve neck stress. However with modern guitars and strings there should not be any problem using standard tuning, I certainly have never had any problem with my 12er going out of tune when tuned to E.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

To expand on Selso's reply,

If you have the 12 string in the normal playing position the heavier of the paired strings are uppermost and are tuned as follows:

E - normal guitar tuning
E - but one octave higher

A - normal guitar tuning
A - but one octave higher

D - normal guitar tuning
D- but one octave higher

G - normal guitar tuning
G - but one octave higher

B - normal guitar tuning
B - normal guitar tuning

e - normal guitar tuning
e - normal guitar tuning

I hope that helps.

Roger

Roger, is this how your 12 string is set up?
Mine has the lighter strings uppermost on all the octave pairs.
This is how it came from the factory.

Unfortunately I do not have my 12er at hand as a friend has borrowed it but on reflectionI think you are right and I have made a blunder (bright red face) sorry. 

So the tuning is:

E - one octave higher than normal
E - normal guitar tuning

A - one octave higher than normal
A - normal guitar tuning

D - one octave higher than normal
D - normal guitar tuning

G - one octave higher than normal
G - normal guitar tuning

B - normal guitar tuning
B - normal guitar tuning

e - normal guitar tuning