1 (edited by selso 2009-07-13 21:28:30)

Topic: 3 pronged mike.

I just got a new mike and it has  the 3 prongs on it instead of the regular one.{ does that make sense?} I thought I'd be able to plug it into my computer but I cant. Do they sell some sort of adapter for them or is there some way I could plug my pa into my computer to use the mike? Any help or advice would be appreciated  , this probably should have went into the recording section, my apologies
Selso

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Re: 3 pronged mike.

Hi Selso,

That 3 pronged plug you are looking at is called XLR and if it is a Condenser microphone, one of those pins is to provide power to the active element.  If you have a Dynamic microphone, there is no power needed for the element to function and you can get an adapter that ends with a 1/4" TS male plug (or female if you prefer).  My preference is to use a XLR micrphone cable to get as close to the amp or PC as possible and then insert the adapter cable and reduce to the 3.5mm mono-male at the Sound Card.  There is an advantage to using an adapter with a female TS termination as you can then use a spare guitar cable as an extension if needed, or get a female/female adapter while you are buying stuff and be covered either way.

Hope that helps.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I think I under stand what your saying, they do sell an adapter that goes into a regular guitar cable type thing that Id plug into a 1/4 plug in?

Reverend Horton Heat

Hey Doug,
I think I found what I need.
Thanks for telling me what I was looking at. That alone helped alot
Thanks!!1
Selso

Reverend Horton Heat

Like Doug says above, if it's a condenser you'll need phantom power.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Cool!   Glad you understood what I think I was trying to say.

I put everything into a Behringer Powered Mixer which already has both types of inputs for each channel so I haven't used my adapter for awhile.  But it does come in handy if you just want to hook up a Dynamic mic to a guitar amp to pump up the vocal during rehearsal, or that odd acoustic that shows up to your electric jam session.  With two of them you can substitute a long mic cable if you find your guitar cable comes up short sometime as well.

Have Fun!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare