1 (edited by daddycool 2009-07-12 12:51:56)

Topic: silence not real

hi i'm  not  an attention  seeker or nothing ,but i don't like the unusual silence in replies to my last 17 songs,i know you said most people are browsers and i can understand that ,but to get duck eggs for two months i feel like my songwriting must be going wrong ,if we get no imput how can we improve what we're doing,i try to answer all posts as they appear and i think its an important issue to keep the songwriting rhythm going. by the way i've started numbering my songs for my own reference,not to blow my trumpet,thanks ...stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Re: silence not real

Sorry.  I haven't been in the Songwriting forum much lately.  However, I do like your style from when I was more active over there. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

daddycool its hard to reply to this topic only because I too submit songs, one possibility could be the 17 or more songs in such a short time span like eating steak everyday to much of anything takes away the special flavor of it and most or all people will only comment on the songs that appeal to them so dont take it personal I have composed my fair share of stinkers like everyone else who puts a pen to paper but I just keep writing and once in a while I come up with a song people like maybe the 18Th one will be it for you dont worry about it smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

daddycool
As an occasional frequenter of the songwriting section but not one who posts them I can only tell you my take on it.  When I see an original song even with the chords it is in my head only as a poem.  If I pick up my guitar and attempt to see what it sounds like, I haven't a clue as to the strum pattern.  Not speaking for others but what might help (for me) is a little statement on the strum pattern comparing it to something familiar.  Just a thought.  Good luck and don't get discouraged. 
Steve

5 (edited by Stonebridge 2009-07-12 19:08:53)

I have to say on this topic that maybe I must be missing the obvious here. But how is one supposed to comment on a song when all you have is the words and some chords? Where is the tune? The rhythm? etc. Without this I haven't a clue what the song sounds like.
Point me to a recording and I'll attempt a comment
If what you want comment on is what I see in the Songwriting section, I must in all honesty and with hand on heart say that I really can't comment. Sorry.
The words of your songs that I've looked at are fine - some nice stuff there, but without the tune what more can I say?
I hope I don't sound harsh. I think if you want feedback (from me at least), you must have a recording. I hope that is helpful.

Ya bunch of whiners.  Put your own tune to it!  (that was tongue in cheek in case anyone thinks I'm actually upset with y'all)

There is a serious note to that tongue in cheek comment though (please pardon the pun).  If the song strikes you, the meter and the timing will come.  If it doesn't strike you, and you can't "hear" the song or at least begin to hear it, then it's a fair comment to make.  If you can hear it, that's fair too. 

But I have to admit too, that sometimes the volume of songs all at once can be overwhelming.  I don't check in there frequently, and so when I do there's maybe twenty or thirty songs to look at.  I can't look at that many and keep my head straight and still meet my other obligations, so I generally only look at the ones that have titles to which I relate or that catch my eye.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I think stonebridge hit it close when I submit a song in the songwriting forum I first upload it to my website before pasting the chopro so everyone has an opportunity to actually listen to it as well as the option to play along so there is no guess work on what the Melodie is smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I dont get offend if nobody reads or responds to my songs. I try not to take it personal. Recordings do help. I understand your frustrations but I dont think its personal. Just keep them coming.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

hi everyone thanks for all the varied oppinions,all i can say is all my songs are easy play compositions,i don't use any chords past the third fret,my methods are picking each chord,picking base string and stumming  down,or a normal 4/4 strum,nothing fancy,no finger picking single notes,so i did'nt think anyone would have a problem picking up on the rhythms,cause they are all basic song compositions,its myself that struggles with the Bm,sus'es,but as i read a song i try to get the main flow and adjust  it to how i play or i just comment on the song content,thanks again for comments....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hmmmm...I will have to check out your postings tonight when I get home.
I have never been to the songwriting forum.
Thank you for drawing my attention to it.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

HI DETMAN 101there are a lot of talented and professional singer song writers on here,i got the inspiration after i joined chordie and i'm a novice compared to them,but i enjoy every moment....stay cool

daddycool wrote:

HI DETMAN 101there are a lot of talented and professional singer song writers on here,i got the inspiration after i joined chordie and i'm a novice compared to them,but i enjoy every moment....stay cool

Kewl, thank you.
That's what it's all really about...the enjoyment of learning, growing and fellowshipping with those that are like you.

Okay....I didn't sleep last night and it's got me all emotional/disfunctional.
I'll stop now and go play guitar...lol.

=p
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Everything OK Detman? 

- Zurf

thanks for your comments....stay cool

Hey Daddy, I haven't been around as much either...I think it has to do with the summer, partying, house projects, partying, relatives, partying and plain old getting old. lol I'll bet that in the winter months you find the responses are up quite a bit from the summer. As busy as I am now a days... I do stop by and read all the posts in the songwriting section but due to circumstances have not been commenting. My apologies.. I should be making a better effort. smile

Keep the songs coming smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hey Daddy, sorry for not commenting. We're in the middle of sorting out an extension to the house. We've been cutting down trees, emptying a garage, interviewing builders. I've hardly had time to write myself, never mind record. One song I did write was about falling out of love - with my guitar - which shows how bad it's been ! ( I'll post it just for badness ).

So please accept my apologies - I'll try and do better.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Hey Daddy - I'm sorry too. I do read your songs but I've just been getting busy with other stuff so I kind of rush though chordie these days...lame excuse but I will try and do better....it's also why I have been not to frequent on posting songs and sorry about that as well.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

hi guys there's no need for apoligies we all have our own lives to see to,it just seemed a bit funny why every one had dissappeared at once,any way i'll give you a week off,i'm going camping for a week tomorrow 20th so i'll have to catch up when i get back....stay cool

Hope you're taking your guitar, Daddy!

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

hi robert,

i've been very bizzy for the last couple of months. the factory was closing, so i was one of the wind-up team, with all it's frustrations and depression!
then i went on holiday for 2 weeks, and now that i'm home, the wife wants to decorate the whole house....give me strength!

in all honesty i have been popping in from time to time, and i noticed the numbers mounting up...will you explode or something when you get to a thousand?   lol

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

hi alan no i did'nt take my guitar,no room with all the womens luggage ha ha,there were some campers got kicked off for making too muck noise late at night and there was a 4yr old sang mamma mia in the club which was lovely,had pretty good weather but came back with a few more aches and pains but it made a nice break.....stay cool

hi phill hope that your still in work after all the windup,we've got a lot of changes to endure yet,single status with pay which means everyone on a grade will receive the same equal pay which sucks because how can they catorgorise  someone in say social services with us that construct and repair highways ,but they say its going to happen about october ,i'm already at a loss with the regrading they did,i may as well be on the dole if they take any more which after 40yrs service is'nt an option cause i'd lose my service pay when i retire so its like a bucket of worms ready to explode,now on the music front its exciting being able to create so many songs but i ca'nt remember half of them without looking at them first so i've gained in content but lost in the memory of them with creating so many in a short space of time,must be old age creaping on,thanks for your comments....stay cool

The longest I've gone without a guitar lately is a week - I was shakin'.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis