Topic: Keeping The Emotions In Check

Hey, Again!

Do any of you have this problem, and how do you handle it?

I am a Johnny Cash fan, and have loved his music ever since growing up as a youngster in Germany, but I have a problem lately being able to play some his tunes without choking up, and yeah, okay, crying! smile

Mostly, it's the "deep", meaningful songs, and especially the last ones he recorded, during which one could hear how painful it was for him to sing because of the cancer.

One in particular that I love to play, but cannot get through without getting emotional, is "We'll Meet Again" and another is "Legend In My Time".

Someone once told me that to get emotional during a performance was considered the height of arrogance, and an insult to the audience. Is that true? Am I being unprofessional when that happens to me?

"We'll Meet Again", I will admit, has special significance to me, because it is a Vera Lynn tune which she performed for my Dad's WWII unit shortly before we left Germany for the States, but others that I play of his, are just because I loved him and music, and they fit my vocal range.

So what's the answer?

Thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Keeping The Emotions In Check

siggi whoever told you that it was arrogant is mistaken the best singers from Sinatra to Elvis got emotional if fact you cant really sing from your heart unless theres emotion I think the more you sing you will eventually learn to channel your emotions because music without emotion is an insult to your audience smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I think if you don't get emotional about it then your hearts not really into it. I get emotional singing Folsom Prison. I can barely get through that song. I cried when Kurt Cobain died and when Johny died. I probably loose my mind when John Prine goes.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

4 (edited by siggi56 2009-07-24 05:24:57)

Yup: "Sam Stone", right? I am a Viet Nam Vet, and that one grabs me too, selso!

And thanks, Russell, the tears have never completely "shut me down", but they were evident, and I always warn my small audience that it might happen.

Maybe I shouldn't do that?

Thanks

Bill

ETA: to correct Russell's name. I hope I got it right this time. Sorry, man!

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Hey Siggi56!

I'm not allowed to say here what I think of the 'personage' who told you it was an insult to your audience to cry.

First off you are a musician - a purveyor of emotion through the medium of sound. If you don't try your own product how's anyone else supposed to take your word for it? If you don't feel it how can you convey it?

Come to think of it that's it! cool

I cry or get choked up often when I play. Sometimes it's what the song means to me; sometimes it's the song itself; sometimes, if there's a song that I've been wanting to learn for years (sometimes decades), cracking it can crack me - perhaps that is arrogant of me or prideful at least, don't know haven't thought about it, not gonna bother, got better things to do!

Songs which feature artits crying or emotional voice cracks include:

Michael Jackson - She's out of My Life  (one of his best)

Sinead O'Conner - Nothing Compares to You

Is there anyone who can listen to either Elgar's Nimrod from the Enigma Variations or Kate Bush's This Woman's Work without getting a lump in the throat? (If you don't it's best you say nothing! Likewise if you Beavis and Butthead -out at the mention of the word 'Nimrod')

Just now while trying to find the name of the above mentioned Kate Bush song I digressed into another of hers all of which I could remember was
"...all they wanted
was a sound that could kill someone
from a distance.." ( less than one line, Per)
and when I saw those words looking back at me in the Google search window I started to well up. Perhaps it was the perversion of everything that I hold sacred - a child's laugh, my dog barking 'cause he's pleased to see me, hearing the words 'I love you' or a song from the heart, etc is what sound should be about!!!

Don't fight it but use it - it will use you so get used to a symbiotic relationship.

If what siggi56 or I have written embarrases you or you think that it's wet, I just have to say - "This is Chordie a site for musicians, are you sure you're in the right place?"

Good on yer siggi56! cool

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Hi Bill,

You have a really great set of answers here, and I have not much to add.  But I will anyway....

IMO great composers (you know those "long Hair" fellows from the 17-18th Century) like Mozart, Beethoven, and the like did not have lyrics to convey the message of their music.  Just the music itself, and if anything great music is not heard, or intellectualized, it is felt at some emotional level, that is it's purpose and transcends language.  To allow the emotional effect of a piece of music in your performance of it, does in no way insult or diminish it's impact on the audience... but rather Honors the composer and helps the audience identify with the music at the level of emotion for which it likely was intended.

If the music moves you it will move the audience, and with that said, keep on doing what you are doing and be proud you can!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

KajiMa wrote:

Hey Siggi56!

Songs which feature artits crying or emotional voice cracks include:

Michael Jackson - She's out of My Life  (one of his best)

Sinead O'Conner - Nothing Compares to You

:

Sorry folks, no disrespect intended here but if I'm out somewhere and a dude sings these songs and cries while doing so, I'm gonna toss the remaining food on the plate in front of me in their general direction and gladly endure the consequences that result from my actions. Or maybe I'll just quietly get up, walk away, and never return to said venue, ever! TeeHeee!!!!!

Give everything but up.

Just been to your blog sit Bill and I was first taken with Silka (I want one like that and had one gallop full pelt at me) then with Stacey Westfall. What that horse would do transcends dressage technique and twice made my eyes fill and made me bite my lip sore to not cry.

I don't know why horses do that to me.

Can't even play a decent choon on 'em smile

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

9 (edited by siggi56 2009-07-24 05:52:20)

Southpaw,

Absolutely no disrespect taken! smile

Not EVER!

I asked the question and I needed a "both sides" answer.

I took voice lessons for about 6 months, and it was my teacher who told me I needed to get my emotions under control, or else I'd lose the "tone" of the song and maybe even go "off-key" if I could not recover, which would be an "insult" and an "arrogance": thinking only of myself and how the song relates to me, rather than how I am presenting it to my audience.

See?

I can kinda see her point, can't you?

I just cannot control my feelings when I sing and play those songs.

I only wanted to know if I am alone in this (I see I am not! smile), and what, if anything, I can do to help it.

I really appreciate the replies, pro and con! smile

Note to KajiMa: Thanks for visiting the blog! As you can tell, I don't pull any punches, considering this might be the last chance I have to express myself, and who knows for how much longer?

That is why I love my guitar: It and the songs I play on it, require memory, in the form of which fingers to place on which strings to get the correct tone for my voice. smile

I also play "brain games" and World of Warcraft, but I love my guitars and singing the best.

Whew!

Dude, that was a lot of coding smile *LOL*, but as I wrote earlier, I thank you for the responses!

Bill/Siggi56

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Emotions through music is called for every time because if it isn't there it's not from the heart. Just don't let the emotion take over your voice and everything will be fine.

Emotion is the essence of good music.  With out emotion it wouldn't be good, in my opinion.  As a matter of fact, I think we owe it to our audience to let the emotions flow when we do a song.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

when i was younger I thought upon those that cried at films and songs were really needing medical help in a big way. I thought only a song, only acting etc.
Now I am older I have different views on it.

I have had a tear or two bucket full when trying to sing one of my own sad songs....I just dont do it anymore. No point in trying if ye cant finish it the nye try to think of a cheery song to lift you up a bit, but the damage is done and ye feel the dried up tears tightening up your laughter lines around yer eyes. and ye have to ram a few roll up cigarette filters up yer nose to dam the mucus from flowing down while ye sing yer happy song to make you forget about yer sad song. lol

The scottish trad. song I do a lot " hush hush" makes my mum cry or " the masacre of glen coe" so if she is anywhere near I just wont do them.

I do like a right good emotional sad song wit ha lot of feeling, one that makes you sit down and absorb every word with every meaning that goes with it. Or you twist the lyrics a bit to make you think of different things in your own life, past or present.
Ones that usually get me are jacobite songs or others like "the soldier" "streets of london"

but I got to agree with most here about Johnny Cash, his lyrics are just so emotional a lot of the time and whether ye cry or not they really make you sit and get emotional.

good subject

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hey Siggi ,
   I know exactly where you're coming from ... A lot of the songs I've written do that to me ... In fact one song that I wrote basically for my family after my mother passed away was really tough ... When I was writing it , I kept dripping tears on the paper ... I've found that when I'm learning a new song like that , whether my own , or a cover , I have to practice it over and over untill I can get through it , and then practice some more untill it gets to the point where I'm hardened to it to a certain extent ... It helps when you get to the point where you can sing the lyrics without having to think too much about what you're singing , L O L ...I've found that I can then do it in public with emotion , but not too much ... That works for me ... Some of them are a bugger ...
                     Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

hi siggi most of the songs i've written have feelings,emotions and a special meaning to me,like "when i am gone"this was about my friend and workmate who died and i put my feelings down on paper he was a huge inspiration and support in my early work life and so was his wife and family and they still are there for me if i needed them,so don't be ashamed of showing your feelings but you could leave out the upseting songs while your gigging and play them in your own enviroment,the main thing is to enjoy what your doing and think of the marvelous life of the singers your portraying through their songs.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Life's too short to worry about it.  Play the songs you play them. 

"Never Be One" by Alabama usually makes me cry.  I pull it out every once in a while and torture myself with it.  I was pretty much too busy to connect well with my eldest daughter until she was close to two, and while there were good reasons for it and that's what it meant to be who I was at the time and I'd make the same decisions again knowing where they've lead me today.  So, my 'busyness' wasn't a mistake, but there were nevertheless consequences for it.  One of the consequences is that "Never Be One" makes me cry. 

That said, while emotions are (nearly) always legitimate, the display and especially the excessive display of them may not always be. 

Difference between display and excessive display.  Jimmy Buffett has a song that includes a line about a buddy named Ruby.  The lyric goes "Ruby tells the waitress that the chicken died in vain."  Well, he did a concert just a couple days after his long term friend and road companion Ruby died.  When he sang that lyric, he stumbled on it and it's obvious he was persevering rather than performing right at that moment.  Totally acceptable and appropriate.  Had he stopped and broken down and curled up on the stage wailing and bawling and pounding the ground screaming "Why? Why? Why?", that would have been excessive. 

So, keep it within the realms of normality (which can be a fairly wide realm) and I think you'll be fine. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I've been gigging for nigh on 30 years, and I still perform some of the songs I did then. But I find you can be singing a song all your life then it suddenly hits you what the meaning of the song is, or what it means to you.

I was learning Elton John's "Your Song" when my father died, it took me a while to sing it live, and then I always felt weepy when I sang it. So it's not the actual content of a song, but more like what it means to you.

I've also felt emotional when I've had a big cheer for something I wasn't expecting.  Well, there you go.

All I can say is; don't turn on the waterworks just for the sake of it, as the audience isn't stupid.

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.