Topic: Tinnitis

I love to play the acoustic guitar, unfortunately I have a tinnitis and I am afraid that if I strum the guitar too loudly it will make my tinnitis worse and this is inhibiting my playing. Doe anyone know the loudest a non-amplified acoustic guitar can get as measured in decibels? I am currently wearing ear attenuators while playing to protect my hearing but I find them annoying and itchy. Please advise.

Re: Tinnitis

I don't know the decibel level, but you can strum and pick without a pick.  It is not as loud and your fingers on that hand will toughen up slightly over time and allow you a little brighter sound later on.  This is how I play and I am happy with the sound.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

3 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-07-25 22:01:37)

Average playing (moderate strumming), I believe it comes out the sound hole at around 88-90 db's but, from your position as a player, only about 75-80 db's reach your ears. As mentioned you can always try some finger style. Also you may want to try practicing in a large room facing away from walls so the sound doesn't get reflected back to you as much. Best of luck! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

hi
i also have hearing probs so was wary about taking up guitar again,i decided to go ahead with it got an electric, best thing i did,i dont play to loud and most of all enjoy what you are doing.

Check this out with your audiologist. Don't leave it to chance. Tinnitis in younger people is most often caused by noise - and a lot of it. To be honest, walking through a city centre or even being in a lively restaurant can produce a lot more noise than your guitar. But everyone is different - check it out.

You can also play in front of a curtain that will soak up a lot of the ambient sound. My hearing difficulty is the other way around - I have to have things turned up.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis