Topic: Question re: chord sequence C Am Fm G....

Hi Folks

this is a common sequence:  C Am Fm G.... (e.g., sleepwalk- Santo and Johnny)
and it seems to be in the key of C (Am)...but what is the Fm doing in there!!!  I use it , so do lots of others, but i would very much appreciate a little theory explanation as to why it works...i am expecting the Fmaj base on my strict interpetation!

many thanks

Byron 123

Re: Question re: chord sequence C Am Fm G....

byron there really is no explanation other then that's the way the composer intended it to be,an F major lends a different color to the pallet the song just sounds better with the F Minor simple as that its kind of like asking Rembrant why did he paint the color of "Blue boy" blue why not some other color? that song is one of my favorites from the early fifties smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

The Beatles used Fm a lot in their songs.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Theory isn't a set of hard fast rules that must be adhered to.  It's a framework to work within.  It's good to know the rules, because it helps to let you know when to break them.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

thanks all for the input

But i was wondering if in this sequence the Fmin does provide some sort of tension that is technically released by the G... happens in other songs as well in leads.  ( i think that may be called cadence?)

thanks

Byron123

Byron I have only heard the word cadence referred to in defining meter or beats usually associated with drums or marching and tension with regards to music generally is used when referring to suspended chords or diminished,augmented etc..in the chord sequence C Am Fm G the Fm is a nice alternative to the pedestrian Fmaj smile

thanks

I have had a few run ins with cadence (see.... http://www.musictheory.halifax.ns.ca/22cadences.html  )... i though this might be another.  But i am fairly sure cadences are more than just meter, timing and beats.

thanks

Byron

Yes it can be a return to harmony at the end of a musical line / piece.

I much prefer it's opposite - decadence !

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Yes it seems there is yet another definition for this word not sure what you mean by run ins,according to the information provided in your link cadence refers to a pause but there is no pause in the progression C Am Fm G its just that a  progression smile

byron123 wrote:

thanks

I have had a few run ins with cadence (see.... http://www.musictheory.halifax.ns.ca/22cadences.html  )... i though this might be another.  But i am fairly sure cadences are more than just meter, timing and beats.

thanks

Byron

According to Wiki, a cadence is any sequence of 2 or more chords that end a phrase, section or piece of music.
So I,VI,IV,V (or 1,6,4,5) qualifies as it is a musical phrase, ending on the 5. It is technically an "imperfect", "half" or "open" cadence.
The use of the minor on the 4 chord gives it a bit of added colour and emphasis because it contains the note Ab which is not in the key of C major.
When I played this to myself just now it seemed to me to strengthen the final (V) chord. I think this is because the minor chord on IV seems to want to lead to the V chord more strongly that the major .

thanks all

Stonebridge ... i agree with you on the rationale.  the Fmin gives the transition to the G more "force".  I had thought that might be (or similar to) the idea of cadence.  Just not at the end of the phrase. Guess the drop from the G# (Ab) into the G triad (GBD) is compelling...often those 1/2 steps are very strong.

i think i have the idea.

thanks all Byron

All theory aside, it just adds something beautiful to the progression, as opposed to using the normal F.  Minors are the "beauty" chords.  In the lead in to the song additional beauty  is added by the playing the notes of the chords Am and Fm, as opposed to strumming.

The "standard" verse progression in the key of C would be either C-Am-F-G, or C-Em-F-G, or C-C7-F-G.  Then, there's the option of C-G-G-C-F-C, which is used more in some country songs, such as "Cryin' Time" or "I washed my hands in dirty water".