Re: How soon did you “outgrow

My starter guitar was borrowed and there were several.  I mostly got them from people who didn't play their own starter guitars.  When I was convinced that this was something I wanted to do I went out and spent the bucks on something I really wanted.  28 years later, I still have that guitar and play it almost daily.

Now available in 5G !

When I bought my first guitar the guy in the shop said I would be better off spending a few hundred ££ as the benefit of a more expensive guitar would be immense.  I fully accepted this but my argument was I didn't want to spend several hundred ££ only to get fed up after a few weeks.  He did me a deal on an older stock version from £120 to £60 (I don't for one minute think it was ever for sale foir £120 tho).

Anyway after a while I lowered the action, got some Martin Lights and I really enjoyed playing it.  It was only as my chord shapes became better and clearer that I could hear how bad the sound actually was. 

Anyway after 7 months of between 1-2 hours a day I got a Epiphone EJ 200 last week!  All I can say is SWEET, I love it, easier to play and the sound is..!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

i used to say i played the guitar also. i went on a trip to nashville and stopped at a carwash not much business got to talking music because he saw my guitar in the back killing time we started playing around he did things i did not know my guitar could do, i did not even play after him i was almost embarressed so now i say i have fun with it and  it still keeps it fun

always pickin someting

My beginner guitar wa a real piece of junk, so as soon as I knew I was sticking with it (after about 6 month), I started scouting pawn shops. Good guitars are not that expensive. I have a Tacoma cedar acoustic, And I would put it up against almost any other basic acoustic guitar. I have had many compliments on it, both sound and playability. It runs about $450 new but I got mine at a pawn shop for $250, and I'll never sell it, its by far my favorite guitar.
Good luck

Cedar's got a nice tone.  Good pick there tbronaugh. 

Rstauffe - I've got a couple friends and acquaintances in the Nashville music scene.  The song "Nashville Cats" got it right. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Ie0ErMKo  (for Del McCoury version, just because Del McCoury counts as one of those Nashville Cats who plays 'clean as country water')

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude