Topic: Beginner needing some advice!!!

Hey im kinda new to the guitar. Ive had one for awhile and have taught myself to pick out tunes from tab and i know a few chords like G, C, D, A, Am, E, Em and Dm. I can't do bar chords. And i don't know how to strum. I'm really interested in learning to play because when i pick my guitar up and play what i know i'm in a different world. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if you will die tomorrow.   -James Dean

2 (edited by dino48 2009-08-24 04:20:21)

Re: Beginner needing some advice!!!

Hello holder23,you sound like all of us when we started,I would  take a look at the beginners section of songs posted here at chordie,you might also try some easy bands or players like buddy holly,credence clearwater revival neil diamaond. Strumming? I have ahard time with explaing that too others ,myself I just listen too the song and try too get the tempo and play up and down. There are alot of good players here and I am sure they will give you some kind of advice soon,welcome too the site!! (look at the new songbooks section and chose all public songbooks,in there you will see a selection for absolute beginners) .       dino48

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

thank you i appreciate your help

Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if you will die tomorrow.   -James Dean

Welcome to Chordie!

We've all been there I'm sure, and likely are still playing for exactly like what you are experiencing..... making music can really be a fantastic stress relief.  Dino has given some really good advise, and this is a very good place to find the encouragement and music that will get you on your way in short order.  Not to advertise for someone else, but you will find a lot of folks here who will point you in the direction of Justinguitar on You Tube for some tips and tricks to enhance your progress.  Explore the forums here on Chordie for valuable information on a variety of subjects, and don't be shy about asking questions or adding your comments.

Welcome aboard!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi holder23, I'd second Doug's pointer to www.justinguitar.com he has loads of good instructional videos on all aspects of beginning guitar.

I've tried to explain strumming a few times, and it's quite difficult to do this with just text, but I'll give my standard answer, if I can. Strumming is all about rhythm - the beat of the song. To get a basic strum pattern you need to get the rhythm right. Try this......

Put your guitar down. Listen to the song you are learning and hit out a beat as if you are drumming to the song. Now do it again, but only with one hand. The hand you strum with. Get yourself right into the beat of the song, hitting out the rhythm with your hand on the side of your leg or something. You should be able to get a good rhythm going and check what your hand is doing. Hopefully you can see and feel when it's on a down beat or on an up beat. This should be a basic strum pattern. Now transfer that to your guitar. Sounds a bit silly but it really helps. Trust me.

I'm sure I have this on another post somewhere, but written down better. Good luck with it. Once you crack it it feels like you can do anything. Which, of course, you can!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Welcome to Chordie holder23 smile

All great advise given and I'm sure there will be more to come...Like mine lol

When I first started playing guitar I had a heck of a time learning to strum. It was suggested by a friend to learn strumming using a very flexible pic. It made sense to me to me cause the pick always managed to grab a single string or my awkwardness in strumming (trying to strum) made it very discouraging. I went for a .38 MM pick.After a while I got gooder at strumming and progressed to a heavier pick until I got to the point I was happy with my strumming. big_smile My mistake was that I picked up a lot of bad habits along the way which are tough to shake.

Lighter pick means: more forgiving while learning.
                             quieter playing, so you won't drive others crazy.
                             when you get gooder you will find a time and place for a light pick.

Hope this helps smile

Have fun and practice proper. smile

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Welcome Holder23 and Kap54 advice is right on.  I use a "brain" pick...their color coded for thickness.  I use a red one about 0.63"  thick I think.  Their just flexible enough and this brand has a course Cat Tongue feel to it so no slippage.  If you're just trying to improve, work on the angle of the pick attacking the string.  It needs to go across in both directions with a bit of an angle..not just flat on, sort of a wiping action if that makes sense.  Anyway check and see in 4 months about Christmas time you're gonna be making some nice music.  Good luck and tell us how it's going.

Hey Holder23! cool

See! You get good advice from even gooder people (or should that be good people give you even gooder advice?)

Couple o' tips from me:

When one strums, one usually plays the Bass notes of the chord first - WHEN FORMING CHORDS, START WITH THE BASS NOTES OF THE CHORD - you can still be forming the chord while you begin to strum.

With practice, and as muscle memory developes, you'll find that forming the chord is part of the rhythm of a song; your fingers get quicker and gooder at making the chord and it happens in the off beat/a natural break in strumming.

Some great answers above! cool

Chons da!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<