1 (edited by selso 2009-08-25 14:38:09)

Topic: A Little Drunk/ song with recording

I've been slacking royally with my songwriting lately, so I re wrote this one. Thanks to Jerome O'Neil  for all his help and thanks to Jeff, Jerome's drummer. Recording on Myspace. Let me know what you think

Chordpro error: This is not a valid artistname. You will have to specify an artistname in the form {st: Artistname} in the beginning of the code.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Re: A Little Drunk/ song with recording

I think it has a snappy feel I miss a bass in it and some lead work but its still a good effort Selso smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi Selso
You guys did a good job on this. Reminds me of some of the stuff "Madness" did.
Well done
ark

4 (edited by selso 2009-08-25 20:16:01)

Russell_Harding wrote:

I think it has a snappy feel I miss a bass in it and some lead work but its still a good effort Selso smile

not sure what you mean? Are you saying the bass needs to be turned up? It definatley needs a lead riff, I'm just not much of a lead player

Reverend Horton Heat

arkady wrote:

Hi Selso
You guys did a good job on this. Reminds me of some of the stuff "Madness" did.
Well done
ark

Thanks Ark! Never heard of Madness guess I'll have to check them out

Reverend Horton Heat

Nice tune Selso. I really like the mix, the bass especially. It's got sort of that fretless feel to it. And we all know that there ain't no bass like a fretless bass!!haha. Excellent effort Selso, your vocals are powerful yet not overpowering, your acoustic rhytym is crisp, clean and not overly processed, the hook is catchy, the lyrics are interesting. This is a great song and very well recorded. Be proud of this tune, it's awesome!

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

To my ears it dose,but thats only my opinion if your happy with it thats all that matters smile

selso wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

not sure what you mean? Are you saying the bass needs to be turned up? It definatley needs a lead riff, I'm just not much of a lead player

Du-u-u-u-u-u-de....This is an awesome song. big_smile

G]Hand to the victors
[A]Black dot upon my face
[G]She lit me a Camel
[A]and put me in my [A]place

Outstanding lyrics and vocals. Great work done on the mix and drums by Jerome and Jeff. This really does sound really good. To me I get a kinda Reggae-New Mexico mix. I be liking it.
Is this the next new sound?????

You be Jammin Man. big_smile

Your gettin gooder...much gooder. big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Russell_Harding wrote:

To my ears it dose,but thats only my opinion if your happy with it thats all that matters smile

selso wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

It's weird, when I listen to it on windows media player the bass is way loud, almost to loud. When I listen on Myspace it does sound really quite. Any ideas why?

Reverend Horton Heat

10 (edited by selso 2009-08-25 22:05:35)

Thanks for the complements, guys. Jerome did the mix and put up with my crap and Jeff did the drums. Every thing else is pure Selso. It's the first song I actually wrote the bass line first then the guitar. Could be my "new" sound but I still love me some country music

Reverend Horton Heat

I think it may lose some fidelity in upload my songs sound ok on my media player but seem to lose volume and bass after upload so I find myself having to delete and remix for myspace a lot so its not surprising smile

selso wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

selso wrote:

It's weird, when I listen to it on windows media player the bass is way loud, almost to loud. When I listen on Myspace it does sound really quite. Any ideas why?

selso wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

selso wrote:

Because someone put a bug in your ear and you're listening for it specifically. No offense Russell. ( smiles here)

Give everything but up.

none taken just relating a similar experience and on more then one occasion so like I said if you like it thats all that counts its your song smile

14 (edited by selso 2009-08-26 20:17:13)

Russell_Harding wrote:

none taken just relating a similar experience and on more then one occasion so like I said if you like it thats all that counts its your song smile

It's actually my song. But really, thanks for pointing that out. Every bit of info makes us all better

Reverend Horton Heat

Great song Selso,Takes me to the late 70's early 80's when this sound was all the rage in Great Britain,love it.

Trevor

Hard times create strong men,Strong men create good times,Good times create weak men,Weak men create hard times.Cantwere rice INVICTA!

16 (edited by jerome.oneil 2009-08-27 05:08:38)

I had that bass walk stuck in my head for weeks.  smile

Anyway, couple of notes.  Selso provided two tracks,  one "vocal" and one "bass/guitar."  But because the vocal was recorded with a live mike and the bass track playing, there was serious bleed over from one track to the next.  That is, you could hear the vocals clear as day on the bass track, and you could hear the bass and guitar clear as day on the vocal track.

I did the mix on this using Reaper, which is now my most favorite tool ever.

This is what I did to the mix.   I ran the vocal track through a highpass filter to remove as much of the bass from that track as I could, and then used an EQ to bring out the frequencies of Selso's voice, and then added just a touch of reverb for effect.     I ran the bass track through an EQ to bring out as much bass as possible, and then ran it through a compressor to get a little bit of pop, and give it that "fretless" feel.   The problem is that any time I touched the bass track, it effected the vocals as well, due to the bleed.

Because the track was recorded live, there is just a hair's bit of tempo drift in the song.  It rumbles between 104 and 108 beats per minute.  It's enough to make using a drum machine harder than using a live drummer. I have a live drummer, so he was conscripted for the job.  We recorded him on two microphones using our Fostex MR-8.  We pulled his kick mic out a bit to pick up the entire bottom end, and used a condenser directional mic up high to pick up the high hat and cymbals.  There was a small glitch in the recording, though.  A fault of the MR-8 caused a few microseconds of squeal and pop.  I was able to pull it out and substitute in another section of the track.  I don't think I did a good job of it, though.  If you pay close attention right around the 1:27 mark you can pick it up.    Anyway, we're thinking of doing a couple more drum tracks the next time we get some spare time.

Here's a shot of Jeff, live in Studio A, recording the drum track for this.  smile

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/6436/20090816171013.jpg

As far as the lots of bass/no bass sound goes, I've learned that there is no way to satisfy every speaker system.  I mixed this up using a pair of KRK 5" powered studio monitors, and the bass really comes out on them.  If I plug in my crappy PC speakers, you naturally lose some of that.   

Anyway it was very fun, and I learned a whole lot.  Many thanks to Selso for not only writing this nifty little tune, but for giving me the opportunity to play with it.  If you're ever up Seattle way, we should bring you into the basement and record some good quality tracks.  It really is a good song.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

I had that bass walk stuck in my head for weeks.  smile

Anyway, couple of notes.  Selso provided two tracks,  one "vocal" and one "bass/guitar."  But because the vocal was recorded with a live mike and the bass track playing, there was serious bleed over from one track to the next.  That is, you could hear the vocals clear as day on the bass track, and you could hear the bass and guitar clear as day on the vocal track.

I did the mix on this using Reaper, which is now my most favorite tool ever.

This is what I did to the mix.   I ran the vocal track through a highpass filter to remove as much of the bass from that track as I could, and then used an EQ to bring out the frequencies of Selso's voice, and then added just a touch of reverb for effect.     I ran the bass track through an EQ to bring out as much bass as possible, and then ran it through a compressor to get a little bit of pop, and give it that "fretless" feel.   The problem is that any time I touched the bass track, it effected the vocals as well, due to the bleed.

Because the track was recorded live, there is just a hair's bit of tempo drift in the song.  It rumbles between 104 and 108 beats per minute.  It's enough to make using a drum machine harder than using a live drummer. I have a live drummer, so he was conscripted for the job.  We recorded him on two microphones using our Fostex MR-8.  We pulled his kick mic out a bit to pick up the entire bottom end, and used a condenser directional mic up high to pick up the high hat and cymbals.  There was a small glitch in the recording, though.  A fault of the MR-8 caused a few microseconds of squeal and pop.  I was able to pull it out and substitute in another section of the track.  I don't think I did a good job of it, though.  If you pay close attention right around the 1:27 mark you can pick it up.    Anyway, we're thinking of doing a couple more drum tracks the next time we get some spare time.

Here's a shot of Jeff, live in Studio A, recording the drum track for this.  smile

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/6436 … 171013.jpg

As far as the lots of bass/no bass sound goes, I've learned that there is no way to satisfy every speaker system.  I mixed this up using a pair of KRK 5" powered studio monitors, and the bass really comes out on them.  If I plug in my crappy PC speakers, you naturally lose some of that.   

Anyway it was very fun, and I learned a whole lot.  Many thanks to Selso for not only writing this nifty little tune, but for giving me the opportunity to play with it.  If you're ever up Seattle way, we should bring you into the basement and record some good quality tracks.  It really is a good song.

I think the guitar and vocals are on the same track then the bass. I use a cheap little mic that came with my son's Walmart keyboard.
I think it picked up the headphones because I plugged the bass directly in to the computer.
Jerome, you did a heck of a job and I cant thank you enough. It was fun

Reverend Horton Heat