Topic: Remembering chords and lyrics?

I've been playing for a while and have played the same songs to death but still can't remember the words or lyrics without looking?
When I play with the sheet in front of me It's like I don't realy look at the chords just the words but take it away and I'm lost any tips?

Re: Remembering chords and lyrics?

Once you get the chord progressions memorized, try just writing down the first line to each verse. Works well for me on long songs like: Like A Rolling Stone.

If there's not a reason for it, It's wrong.

Well if you know the chords, I'd play it with the music going. I find it easier to remember the words and sing along if I play along with the song. It also helps with your rhythm and timing...Just thoughts...Peace

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

sinjin,
All I can say is pratice practice pratcie, ONE SONG AT A TIME!! lol

I think I know about 30 songs without looking. I have been playing for about 17 years.
My problem is having all those lyrics/chords in front all the time makes me lazy.
I do learn the odd song now and then through repeated playing over and over, and when i am in work I continue to sing the song to learn the lyrics, I play it in the car.

I cannot even memorise all of my own songs that I have wrote. I tihnk I would only be able to do about 3 of them.

I think your problem is probably the same as mine, having too many songs at once.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

5 (edited by cytania 2008-02-24 17:05:17)

First off sinjin look for songs with a 12 bar blues structure. Once you get the feel of a blues your fingers almost know where to go. With a blues there's the main chord, the verse departure and then the chorus departure chord, that's just 3 chords. So a blues in G goes verse G G G G C C G G chorus D C G C. A blues in A goes A A A A D D A A E D A D A etc Once you learn this it becomes second nature and you'll start spotting songs that use it and they'll come easier.

Second - lyrics. Look for keywords you can remember that cue you in. One trick singers use is to write lyrics out by hand, the very act of writing helps you remember plus if you try to make the words long or short with the timing of the song you'll understand the structure more.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Everyone has that problem to one degree or another. Maybe it's what we did in our youth or for those still in it what you're doing now!!! Any how, there's no crime in having cheat sheets. I keep my laptop loaded with my tabs in notepad and also keep a binder and a a USB thumb drive...I also have a harder time with remember chord progressions sometimes confusing one song with another

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

7 (edited by flester 2008-02-25 14:40:04)

The more ways you experience something the easier it is to remember/learn. This applies to songs, poetry, mathematical formulas, anything.

For example hear it, AND write it,  AND sing it, AND read it silently, AND read it aloud. Do each of these over and over again. The more time syou do all these things, the more it's embedded. It's the only way I've ever learned anything. Of course, our ability to do so declines with age!

"Can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice"

The more ways you experience something the easier it is to remember/learn. This applies to songs, poetry, mathematical formulas, anything.

For example hear it, AND write it,  AND sing it, AND read it silently, AND read it aloud. Do each of these over and over again. The more time syou do all these things, the more it's embedded. It's the only way I've ever learned anything. Of course, our ability to do so declines with age!

I memorize songs one piece at a time.  I haven't memorized many, so my advice should be considered with a grain of salt.  Anyway, when I decide to go about memorizing a song, I do it lyrics first.  I listen to the song as a whole and get the feel of the story it's telling.  It helps that I like story songs.  Anyway, I get a general feel for the song.  What happens.  What happens next.  What twist of phrase is used to describe this, that, or the other.

Then I sing it from the start until I don't remember.  And then I TRY to remember.  If I remember something, then I look to see if I got it right.  If I don't remember something, I look to trip my memory.  This is based on the assumption that I'm going to forget at the same places each time, which is usually the truth with me. 

Anyway, once I get each verse memorized, singing along on the commute helps especially if I'm singing one line and thinking about what the next line is, I then memorize the choruses.  I like Jimmy Buffett songs, so the choruses often change a little bit over the course of the song.  I like that method of moving along the story of a song. 

Once I can sing the entire song from memory (there are about fifteen or twenty songs I can sing from memory) I learn the chords WHILE SINGING.  The important part to me is fitting the chords together with the lyrics.  That way, the lyrics trigger the chord movement and vice versa.  Each piece helps me to remember the other piece. 

Finally, I play it about sixty gazillion times while concentrating.  I usually keep the sheet music in front of me, but flipped over or covered by something.  That way I can look if I get stuck, but I can't use it as a crutch. 

Mostly, though.  I just prefer using the sheets as a crutch.  There are only four songs I can play from memory right now: Forever and Ever Amen, Tin Cup Chalice, Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road, and Crocodile Rock.  If I have the sheets in front of me, there are a lot of other songs that I can muddle through just as you say - not really looking at the sheets but relying on them to jog my memory about what's coming up.  I mark up my sheets with notes, too. 

I hope that's helpful.  If not, blame Upyerkilt.  Apparantly the Scots have invented everything so it must be their fault.    big_smile

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Well for my two penny worth,

I reckon that my memory can only hold a finite amount so if I can remember how to play my guitar and remember how to sing I can use a sheet of paper for the chords and lyrics. That way I will not fill my memory with stuff that is not neccessary and leave room for more important things.

Seriously why worry, a lot of artists when they are performing will have an Autocue in front of them so they do not forget and most of the semi-pro musicians that I know will have their songbook at their gig. OK there are exceptional people who have incredible memories and do not need a memory aid but if you do need one, as I certainly do, then you have to accept it.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I love this topic ,
   I have been playing for about 45 years , and I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 songs at my fingertips ( mentally speaking ) . Sometimes at jams , I'll pop up with one that no one has heard for years and get through it without a hitch . Everybody is like , how the heck do you remember all these songs .
For me it has always come easy , don't know why .
That's not to say I don't have my share of "senior moments".
   When learning new ones though , upyerkilt and I have the same formula . Practice and practice ......I often will take one I'm working on and throw it in the truck when I get ready to leave for my jobs . I'll sing it all day as I'm working . If I get stuck on lyrics , i'll stop untill I can look at the sheet again , it seems like if you do it wrong more than once or twice , it will try to repeat every time you sing it so make sure you have the correct lyrics with you .
    With my own songs , since I always write the lyrics first,
then the melody , sometimes
the chords will escape me the first few times .
But PRACTICE , PRACTICE ...

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Another thought on this , ( must have been one of those senior moments ) .
   Jwildhair mentioned useing a sheet with the first line of each verse on it . Some of the guys I play with use just a small note sheet with the first word of each verse , that also works if they learned the song to begin with .
   On this topic , it's well to remember what Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes was fond of saying , " for each new thing we bring into our little brain attic , something else
has to go ". Maybe that's true..............

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Sorry to resurrect an old topic but I guess it’s better and starting another identical one,   I was going to post a topic along these lines anyway.  Basically all the songs I play are copied out into a notebook, I often find my chord changes are in slightly different places to the actual printout and additionally I sometimes leave chords out on harder to play songs.  Basically I like to personalise it.

Anyway, I maxed out my first book sometime ago and I’m well into my second, somewhere in the region of 130 songs which I can play reasonably ok.  My problem is there are probably only 1 or 2 I can play from memory and I wouldn’t be confident at playing them without a hitch.  I think it’s been mentioned above and that I think I’ve become lazy and it’s too easy to pull out my “book† and play away.

I’ve now concluded that I really have to start memorising a few songs and I have added a section to my practice sessions for this.  I have picked about 6 songs, some new, some old  all of which I enjoy to play but I’m concerned that if I play these to death I’ll get bored of playing them?

Is it a case that most of the songs you can play from memory soon become a nightmare to play due to boredom?

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

You can try visualizing what is happening in the song, someone crying, the rain etc

I find this easiest with my own songs, where I have a fairly clear idea of the "plot".

The Greeks used to learn off hours of speeches by imagining they were on a journey that they would take regularly and know well. They would "plant" a visual clue at each turn of the road, or at familiar points. When they wanted to remember the speech they would then take a virtual walk in their mind. Imagine the Hotel California outside your front door, a massive tiffany lamppost outside the beer store etc.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

I have the same problem and i'm glad this thread came up. Alot of good advise here. Thanks

I've been thiniking of putting some "que stickers" on the top edge of my guitar with some chord progressions so at least I'll have a little help or is this still relying on notes too much?

Anyone else do this?

I have the same problem.  It seems no matter how well I know the words of a song, I still have to see the words and chords to do the song.  Once you've gotten used to doing it that way, it is very hard to change it.  Not that it can't be done.  I figure if a person can use sheet music on a piano, then I can use it when playing the guitar and singing.  It's more of a hassle to get the music and guitar out and all situated, but I live with it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

This is my biggest problem. It's also why I started to record myself singing and playing. Not only does it point out where I go wrong but it forces me to learn the song well before I record myself doing it. It also means several takes before I can get it all right which also helps me learn the song better.

I guess I try to learn too many at the one time. I keep telling myself to take it one song at a time but I'm so very easily distracted.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

bensonp wrote:

I have the same problem.  It seems no matter how well I know the words of a song, I still have to see the words and chords to do the song.  Once you've gotten used to doing it that way, it is very hard to change it.  Not that it can't be done.  I figure if a person can use sheet music on a piano, then I can use it when playing the guitar and singing.  It's more of a hassle to get the music and guitar out and all situated, but I live with it.

Heya Benson,

I think you are exactly right, for some reason a lot of folks seem to think guitar players should know the lyrics and music to every song. I know a lot of songs with no help from cheat sheets but it sure takes the pressure off if you have a songbook in front of you. I am seeing it more now days where a performer is standing or sitting on a high stool and they have a music stand at it's lowest position almost flat and it is very indescreet.

Later, Wayne P

Yeah, you're right, Wlbaye.  I sure do admire those who just pick up the guitar and play almost anything you name.  They just have what it takes and I don't.  Like I said, I'm OK with it.  I just get my notebook full of songs out and start playing.  No one seems to mind.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Crevs got the right idea with cue cards.   

Yeah, a lot goin on in this thread and a lot of truth.   Funny, if you know 10 songs, people will still expect you to be a "jukebox" and play any song on demand.  So it's good to have the notes.  But I was coached by a good friend to learn the song with the sheet but then DITCH the music stand.  You'll lose your place anyway and the audience is not very appreciative if you're not making eye contact.  You get so much more out of playing that way.  At least that's been my experience.

I tend to associate a word in the lyrics with the chord...like "Peaceful" in Peaceful Easy Feeling (Eagles) equals the "A" chord every time in that particular song.  Buys some time to think of the next lyric/chord.

hiya fellow chordians,

Ive just about learned 2 songs without lookin` (well the odd hic up) Diana / Wooden heart and another couple i still get the verses wrong way around........HOLD THE PRESS!!!! come to write this and i probably able to play more than i think i can?... think i`ll make some sorta cue cards and see if thats a better way than having A4 papers in front of me

thanks for yer time !! cool    micky

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

I sing them in the shower with the express purpose of memorization.  I forget the lyrics to songs I write all the time.  Bugs me!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Personally I don't think it's a problem reading from sheets, as mentioned by Bensonp, it appears acceptable for other musicians.  When I eventually pluck up the courage to play to family and friends I'd think they'd appreciate it more if I discreetly read the song from my book rather than fluff up the chords or even worse forget a song half was through.

I think it would take some of the fear away too, for me the nerves would come from fear of failure rather than performing, so having my book there open discreetly to the side would act as a security blanket!

Anyway, when asked by a person "What can you play?" I think they'd appreciate a few quick licks or a few well known riffs rather than me start to play Breakfast in America!

jerome.oneil wrote:

I sing them in the shower with the express purpose of memorization.  I forget the lyrics to songs I write all the time.  Bugs me!

Dont the paper get soggy though??? all that water! i do take it the inks waterproof though (wink)LOL

CHEERS micky

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool