Topic: Does wood acclimate?

I bought my Martin Custom D about six months ago and about two months later noticed a very fine crack in the back.  I bought a humidifier and the crack went away in about a month.  I was talking to a local guitar store owner yesterday and he told me that wood will acclimate if you ween it off the humidifier slowly.  Does anyone have any knowledge of this?  I would like to think this is true.  It makes sense, but I'm just not sure.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Re: Does wood acclimate?

All wood acclimates but that doesn't mean that if you quite humidifing gradually the crack won't come back. The guitar should be kept at 50-60% humidity all the time!!  If it dries out the crack will come back because as it dries it shrinks. To Acclimate only means to adjust to a temperature or current enviroment. The humidifier keeps it were it should be and that's why the crack becomes less visable. Remove it gradually and it will come back gradually... I'd suggest getting it repaired/cleated to assure that the crack doesn't get any larger. If you bought it new, contact Martin and they may repair it under warranty. Cracks are a part of owning solid wood guitars. Most will end up with one or two eventually. The good news is that with a repared back crack there will be no loss of tone.  If done properly, it will hardly affect value either. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Howdy BensonP,

Well kinda being a "woodsy fella" myself here in the heart of the wood products world, what you saw was likely the result of a rapid change in humidity.... and to a certain extent it will stabilize, but...   There's that "but" word again.  Yeah, wood is seasoned ie: dried slowly to prevent splitting, and stored in relatively controlled environs after it is milled (especially for musical instruments).  The killer is that most of your hardwoods will be somewhere around 7% moisture content when it is worked, and depending on where and how it is stored, sealed, & finished, may or not be tolerant to higher or lower humidity.  Getting a bit damp will cause the wood to swell, and if it dries too quickly cracks may form.  Dampening it up will close the crack, but it will still be there and reappear next time it gets dry.
  Sorry it is not better news, but when we are making furniture and sometimes repair parts for instruments, we give our woods at least 90 days to acclimate before trimming and culling.  Any part that is cracked is rejected as the damage is done and likely will creep and get worse over time.  On the back of your guitar it may not be such a biggie, but the front where all the stress lives?
  You might consider contacting Martin for information on the warranty if you purchased the guitar new, perhaps it missed getting sealed or something.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

So, acclamation is only a temporary thing.  Oh well.  I really am happy with the outcome.  It appears that as long as I keep humidifying, the crack will remain closed.  I just like to keep my guitars out of the case for quick playing, but I have to keep the Martin in the case apparently.  I did get a dampit humidifier with a plastic hole cover, so I assume I can keep it out of the case with that installed.  I'll try that and watch the crack closely.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

You could always get a humidifier to keep in the room with your guitars... Monitor it with a humidity gauge... If you have other acoustics sitting out they may be subseptiple to top cracks even if they aren't solid back and sided. Cracks aren't the only problem caused by dry climates. The top and back can loose their proper shape. Often tops will sink in around the soundhole and at the lower bout...
    I'd seriously consider a room humidifier if your humidity stays the way it has the past few days most of the time... You're area is only at 10% humidity currently.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

According to my guage, outside humidity is 5% and inside 22%.  Pretty dry.  I might check into a room humidifier.

The guitar should be kept at 50-60% humidity all the time, Monitor it with a humidity gauge. and if it dries out the crack will come back because as it dries it shrinks.

Guitarpix wrote:

..The good news is that with a repared back crack there will be no loss of tone.... -Pix

Sorry to lower the tone of the thread but that really made me giggle...I really need to grow up...I'll get my coat!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000