Topic: Computer tricked me.

I was to do a song at evening service yesterday. Picked out one I had never done before. I typed out the lyrics and the chords putting the chord letters just above the words where the chord change would come. Practiced for a good while until I was satisfied with it. Printed it out and off I went. When time came to do the song I began. Everything was good until about the second chord change where I realized that most of the changes were coming about 2 words too early. The Chord letters "C" "G" and so on were not where they were supposed to be. This surprised me on the first verse but
by at least being able to see the next chord and feeling the music I did good the rest of the way through.Came home and got on the PC to look  at what I had saved and it was exactly as it should be. Strange! Anyone have any idea how to keep this from happening again? I know to proof read next time but why would the letters not print like they show up? Does Bill Gates not like me?

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Re: Computer tricked me.

Howdy,

Yes, its a good idea to proof read all your songs in your songbook ahead of time, one thing I do if I'm using a cheat sheet is look ahead about two or three chord changes and try not to read the lyrics if I don't have to and let the chord changes happen in the right spots .
Sorry can't help as to why things print out weird at times tho.

Later, Wayne P

spaces, tabs etc never really print out right where you want them in a word processor program... the BEST way to do this is a bit trickier than it "should" be.  I would suggest using a spreadsheet program (like microsoft excel or microsoft spreadsheet) to get things to line up the way you like when they print.  Sadly, this can be VERY time consuming (a lot of artists in any field be it music, color, etc... are not very "tech" patient). 

Another option...much eaiser, is saving your document as a pdf file and then print it and proof read.  This may or may not work for you as some text can get turned into weird characters when making the conversion ... and you may or may not have the ability on your computer to do it without adding a new program.  If you'd like more help/info/etc... let me know! 

---- I'm new to the guitar... a bit more experienced with computers! ----

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

4 (edited by Stonebridge 2009-08-31 15:11:45)

Typing spaces will never work, but using tabs "should". Computers being what they are will usually mean that something somewhere isn't right, though.
The problem is that nearly all the fonts used are so called "proportional". This means that the characters don't have a fixed width. A "l" is narrower than a "W".
If you use the font Courier New, it will often do the trick. It is a very old fashioned looking font, but if you can put up with that, give it a try. It works because it is a mono spaced font where all the characters are the same width.

I always give a song a test drive bfore i even print it out. Then after its printed i proof read it and make changes to what is out of place with a pen. No matter how convienient or how high tech things can get you can't beat the old time way of doing things by hand for quality.

Thanks everyone! I redid it with the Courier New font that Stonebridge suggested and it printed out fine.
   Thanks to each of you that replied.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

mekidsmom wrote:

spaces, tabs etc never really print out right where you want them in a word processor program... the BEST way to do this is a bit trickier than it "should" be.  I would suggest using a spreadsheet program (like microsoft excel or microsoft spreadsheet) to get things to line up the way you like when they print.  Sadly, this can be VERY time consuming (a lot of artists in any field be it music, color, etc... are not very "tech" patient). 

Another option...much eaiser, is saving your document as a pdf file and then print it and proof read.  This may or may not work for you as some text can get turned into weird characters when making the conversion ... and you may or may not have the ability on your computer to do it without adding a new program.  If you'd like more help/info/etc... let me know! 

---- I'm new to the guitar... a bit more experienced with computers! ----

again, some really good advice. Now your teaching me!

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

8 (edited by selso 2009-08-31 21:01:39)

it's better to just feel the song. That's why you knew it was wrong. What you were playing wasn't matching up to what you heard in your head. That's why you need to feel the song in and out before you look at the tabs or what some one else has written down

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I find sometimes when I use notepad to print out songs"which I like because it's bigger print, I can read it better", that sometimes it moves the chords, but I go behind it and proof read it, then as  Deadstring I think it was mentioned earlier in the a post I correct it by hand.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Computers have been out to take over the world of music ever since someone came up with MIDI. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

cameronkl7 wrote:

I find sometimes when I use notepad to print out songs"which I like because it's bigger print, I can read it better", that sometimes it moves the chords, but I go behind it and proof read it, then as  Deadstring I think it was mentioned earlier in the a post I correct it by hand.

Cam

Cam's advice is solid. I too use Notepad. It's very effecient (small file sizes) as well. I'm able to put hundreds of songs on my cell phone which proves to helpful since I burnt all my brain cells in my younger years.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Stonebridge wrote:

Typing spaces will never work, but using tabs "should". Computers being what they are will usually mean that something somewhere isn't right, though.
The problem is that nearly all the fonts used are so called "proportional". This means that the characters don't have a fixed width. A "l" is narrower than a "W".
If you use the font Courier New, it will often do the trick. It is a very old fashioned looking font, but if you can put up with that, give it a try. It works because it is a mono spaced font where all the characters are the same width.

EXCELLENT explanation (why couldn't I just say that?).  I didn't know that about Courier New either... probably because it's an "ugly" font I never use... good to know tho!!  Awesome suggestion!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.