Topic: Wider neck 6 strings

It's been a year since my other half kindly bought me a new 6 string when I said I wanted to start playing again after more than 20 years. I also have a nylon string classical which I have been playing more and more. (I learned on one originally back in the 70s)
I've developed well with both guitars, but find I'm using the classical for most of the finger picking, and the steel string for the strumming. I've always found steel strings, with the narrower neck, a bit cramped for my large fingers when it comes to picking.

I've decided to get another 6 string but with a wider neck and greater string spacing.

Now here's the problem. I've done a bit of Googling and found some possible contenders. I don't want to spend a lot.
My current 6 string is 1 and 13/16 inches (4.5cm) width at the neck. The classical is, of course, the standard 2"

Could any of you here tell me about your experiences with wider necks and any recommendations you may have.
I look forward to your replies.

Chris

Re: Wider neck 6 strings

In my searches for the ultimate acoustic i have found that the begginer models of most brands have wider necks. I'm guessing that this would help stretch the fingers and train the hands for chord positions after you move to a more narrow neck. I don't know but i'm in the same boat as you with the large hands and fingers and have found a wider neck easier to play.

Try this one...beautiful...solid wood...great sound.
Silver Creek t-160 at MF.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigati … lver+creek

Old age and treachery...

Hi,
Just thought I'd mention that I only have one guitar, an Alvarez-Yairi 12-string from 1976.
It sounds great with 12 strings, but as I mentioned, it's my only guitar and I really like playing 6-strings because you can do so much more.
So I just keep it strung with 6 most of the time, and like you, enjoy the nice wide neck.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Best of luck to you

5 (edited by Stonebridge 2009-09-02 09:51:23)

Well, thanks to those who replied.
Lylenbev.
That looks like a nice one. The trouble is getting hold of one to try out. They are not available in my local store.
I have a 12-string, steve, but couldn't bring myself to remove half of the strings. smile

So I thought I'd go down to the store and see what 6-strings they have with a wider neck. As dfoskey said, it's important that it suits your fingers. I find that the sort of picking I'm doing, which is a sort of mix between classical, ragtime and who knows what else, needs a neck somewhere nearer the width of a classical, but with all the qualities of a steel string.

Tanglewood has a wide neck range but the store didn't have any of those in stock, just the standard models.
Some Seagull guitars have a wider neck but they don't stock them.

So it came down to a choice between 2 models.
The K Yairi guitar was excellent but way out of my price range if I wanted to stay on good terms with Mrs Stonebridge!!
The other guitar was an Ozark "Hot Club" - quite an unusual looking instrument

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g220/DrNebula/3513x.jpg

After playing it for a while I decided it was the right one.
The neck is much wider - nearly 2 inches - but the body is a little smaller.
I'm not intending to learn to to play Jazz like Django, but the feel and sound of this one suits what I want.
The look is unusual with the D hole.
Solid spruce top and a reasonable price.

So there's the end of the story.
Thanks to those who replied.

Hey Stonebridge!

That's a BEAUT! SPLANN!

Do me a favour - beg, borrow or buy a decent capacitor mic and let's hear it!!!!!

Did I say that's one DAMN fine looking guitar? cool

Been and checked them; you may have found my next one!

CHONS DA!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

KajiMa wrote:

Hey Stonebridge!

That's a BEAUT! SPLANN!

Do me a favour - beg, borrow or buy a decent capacitor mic and let's hear it!!!!!

Did I say that's one DAMN fine looking guitar? cool

Been and checked them; you may have found my next one!

CHONS DA!

No recording in the world can substitute what these gems sound like live and up close. Congrats stoney on your new guitar.

ps- heard anything from canugidit lately?

Give everything but up.

8 (edited by Stonebridge 2009-09-10 20:53:57)

Thanks guys. I've uploaded a picture of me with my new guitar in the PICTURES OF MEMBERS thread in the Recording section.
I've been playing it every day since I bought it and practicing a tune I usually play on another guitar. I hope to record this tune and upload it so you can hear how she sounds in the next couple of days.

Here's me in the garden posing with the guitar rather than playing it!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g220/DrNebula/chordie3.jpg

Lovely guitar.  So glad you found something to suit your needs.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude