Topic: New Sticky

Hi all,

I think we need a sticky for beginner resources. Seems like the same questions and answers keep coming up about beginners learning to play.

We should put together a list of websites that we like to visit. Like everyone's favorite, Justinguitar.com.

What do the moderators think?

Keep Rockin!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: New Sticky

Hi zguitar I am not a moderator,but I think that is an excelent idea,maybe they can set up a page for newbees that people will see when they first open up the main page here.       dino48

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Noted guys, I'll check with Per regarding the use of websites as a sticky reference. It'll probably be cool but I just wanna dot the I's and cross the t's. I'll get back with you guys when I get a reply from the main man.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Any news on this sticky Southpaw????????????????

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Might I add to this suggestion that one of the problems is that many Members rarely read the 'Stickys', particularly noobies. I have lost count of the number of times that I have had to suggest that the reply to someone's query was already posted in a 'Sticky'.

Because of this I am not so sure it would work but I welcome other points of view.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Yer right Roger,
Hardly anyone reads sticky's

they dont even read the resources page that would answer a lot of questions folk keep asking time and time again.

KEn

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

If you don't have the resources page or the sticky, then you can't reference anyone to it.   Sometimes the value isn't in avoiding the question, but in having an answer prepared for the question before it's asked.  In that way, a sticky may be valuable even if no one reads it until having asked the question and being referenced to it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I think a good title to the sticky would help. And as a sticky it would be on the top of the forum page.

And like Zurf said we can point to it because it will already be put together. Instead of having 8 different references in 8 different replies. Being a noob myself, I would loved to had had this when I joined Chordie. I can't count the number of hours I spend looking for lessons and what not.

Anyway, its just an idea.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

pointing something out is fair enough but if folk opened their eyes and looked for an answer to start wit hthen thats better.
Folk in general are just too lazy and want everything thrown straight at them when asked.
I love helping folk and I would direct them to resources or a sticky but all I am saying is they should look a bit harder first.
Even look for a post with the same question !! folk wont even do that a lot of the time.
i.e. a thread on about chordie is titled " how do i add a song to my songbook" then 4 threads down in perfect view is " I want to add a song to my songbook" ( this is just an example so no need to go and look to see) it happens a lot. We all seen it with the " EDIT BUTTON" we had at least 4 threads all on the same subject.

if you are one of these lazy bone dile computer illiterate folk I am talking about then take heed, it is easy to loook.

( I must have got out the wrong side of bed today, I love ye all really, even the lazy ones) lol lol

Ken

I think we're getting away from the original idea a little. All I was suggesting was a sticky that listed all of our favorite resources for beginners. Something that would stay at the top of the forum like the strumming sticky.

If it's there I'm sure it will be looked at. And it would be more complete I think.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

True enough Ken.  But on the one hand, you're endeavoring to take on a challenge to the nature of people you haven't even met, and expecting them to know things about a site they've just entered.  On the other hand, you're recognizing that they're out there and using your experience in what they're going to do to be prepared for them and making them feel welcomed in Chordie, which I like to think of as a really, really big living room full of friends (including some we haven't met yet). 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

yep Zurf this is true also.
All of it is true,
so now the way I see it, whether people look at the sticky or not what is the harm of having a sticky? none whatsoever!
so lets have another new sticky lol

I have no other reason than the one or two i have mentioned but they can all be over ruled by myself leaving me with no argument against.

lol
let us start a protest.
WE WANT A STICKY WE WANT A STICKY, GEE US A STICKY NOO, WE WANT IT NOO GEE US A STICKY

am i the only one out on this demo? lol

Ken

OK then with Royal approval I will open a new sticky but first perhaps someone can suggest a good title and then we can get some links posted here with a brief description of what help they will give.

Roger

Hi Everyone,

Not to "muddy the waters" here, but it comes to me that it might be easier to install a link in the membership sign in page (for first time new members) that would automatically take you to a page of "guidelines to get the most out of Chordie" in which all the hints about reading stickys and finding your way around the resources available might be placed.

Just a thought...

Thanks for your time and
Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

That sound like a good idea too Doug.

Here's my 2 cents fo the sticky:

Title - Beginners start here, Help for beginners, Noobs read this first, somethin like that.

My go to's are on youtube. Do a search for these names, all are great teachers.

Yourguitarsage
Educationalmaterials
Gally042
Siggi5153
Guitarjamzdotcom
Justinsandercoe
Totallyguitars

Other websites:
Grouptherapy.guernsey.net - great website, do the free lesson thing and you're hooked
Guitarnoise.com - a wealth of info
Chordguide.com - great chord chart
6-string-videos.com - I signed up to get the free lessons, but shyed away from it cuz they  cheat all the chords. This video is from the same guy.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 482366891# - this is a very good strumming video I found.
Get-tuned.com - cool online tuner

Well Roger, hope you don't go crazy sorting out everything we give you. Thanks for taking this on too.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

As a newbie... THIS particular thread lead me to actually LOOK at the sticky on strumming pattern videos, so with me as an example - people don't look at stickies but hopefully if they're searching for something they will find it before asking, and at the least I agree with Zurf that having it there so you can tell newbies to look at it is worth more than NOT having it there and having to repeat yourself all the time when people ask.  I appreciate having a LIST of refrences... I might not need them today, but when I come back looking for them it'll be a lot easier to find them if they're in a sticky!  What would make me look at it?

"Beginners online resources and videos"  -- a simple straightforward title

Doug ... when it comes to web admin, adding a sticky in a forum is a lot easier than adding a page to a website.  It would be helpful of course, but far more work.

I wasn't looking for what I found ... but... I was still educated by finding it!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I am looking for comments about Z's suggestions for title and the subject matter before I open a new sticky. By the way Toallyguitars will not get a mention in the 'Sticky' as they are guilty of periodically spamming us.

Please post actual links that will work with a button click and ensure that they are offering free help. Those who are running commercial sites will not be listed.

Roger

Here we go,

www.youtube.com/user/yourguitarsage
www.youtube.com/user/educationalmaterials
www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe
www.youtube.com/user/gally042
www.youtube.com/user/siggi5153
www.youtube.com/user/guitarjamzdotcom

www.Grouptherapy.guernsey.net
www.Guitarnoise.com