1 (edited by micky the mooch 2009-09-13 04:05:20)

Topic: how to store your guitar ?

Hello fellow chordians

Just a short quick question or two lol......
Q1 - What's the best way to store your guitar ? I dont mean long term as i play everyday, and any i dont goes back i a gig bag

So is it bag/case? Stand or Hanger?

Am asking this as i now have  mine on hangers and not sure if thats good for them long term. So do hangers do harm?  ( i know, something i should of asked BEFORE i bought the  hangers)

Q2 - who names their Guitars, and what are they called?
(summat ave never done but been tempted lol)

Cheers lads & lasses cool

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Re: how to store your guitar ?

hi mickey the mooch,Ithink that is up too the individual,I personally just put mine on a guitar stand and make sure itis fitting right so it will not effect the neck,I also keep it in the coolest room in my house.              dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hello Micky,

Good question and I'm sure that there are lots of options about short term storage, but really it should depend more about where on the planet you are.  Wood generally doesn't like radical changes in temperature or humidity.  The more constant and stable the environment is the better your instrument will fare in the long run.  50% humidity and constant temperature (or slow changes) will keep things from expanding or contracting and tearing the joints apart or splitting panels.

In my part of the world, humidity is not a big issue, but temperature is, so into a well insulated case they go and when it's time to make music.... open case for about 20 minutes and a full hour on a stand then tune and it's "showtime"!  Usually only have to give all that time if they have been transported in the boot for a time in transit.  If it's freezing, or really hot.... they get the rear seat space and passengers get the boot! LOL

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

good advice from both. I do both.
I have one of my guitars on a floor stand away from any source of heat including direct sunlight. And I have one hanging on my wall with a wall hanger. There has been a debate about these wall hangers before about how they can twist the neck but I have not had any problem in the 5 or 6 years I have had this hanging.

I have a few other guitars that are upstairs. one is in it's travel bag and in a cupboard. I play this a lot when i go out in the hills and it has never been damaged by storage in there.
Another one I have in another cupboard on the top shelf lying flat gather dust. Amazing how much dust it can gather up there when ye think nothing goes in or out for ages.
My mandolin is also on a floor stand.
Since I mostly play my 6 string lorenzo and the mandolin I have them handy to pick up whenever I want.

All my storage will change in a few months hopefully as I have this house on the market and going for another house with an extra room that I plan to turn into a music room. My wife thinks it will be an excerise/leisure/computer/drying room. And she will probably win sad but my instruments, all 25 of them will be there are ready to play...I hope

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

A properly installed guitar hanger of good quality will not harm your guitar.

I use a floor stand and keep my guitar right beside my desk.  Every time I do a download, I'm strumming or picking something.

Ken - You can't move.  What's a king (even an unofficial one) without a castle?

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I, Like you guys, keep my guitars out where I only need to reach out for them. A guitar in a case gets played rarely. Mine only go in a case on the way to a gig.
My music room is air conditioned. Every room has to be air conditioned here in the deep South. My two bass guitars hang on wall hangers. My Gibson electric has a wall hanger but usually sits on it's padded floor stand because I play it most everyday.
I keep a Yamaha acoustic on a floor stand here in the office next to my computer handy for arranging and working out chords to tunes.
My grandson has a Martin Backpacker leaned on the wall between his bed and dresser where he can grab it when the impulse strikes.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

And? do anybody name their guitars?
              Ho'way Tell us all...is it "Betty" or a  "Suzie" or "Cyril" or "Henry" for the ladies lol

Cos it looks like no one wants to admit to having another Woman" or "man" in there lives lol?

just a thought peeps   Cheers Micky

micky,
this is not a flame but just a suggestion. You'll probably get more in put to your question if you start another thread on the subject. AL

I have a hanger and a case. The two guitars get swapped around a week or so at a time. AL

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I use all three methods of storage. I have my electric hanging on the wall. My laminate acoustic which i play the most is on a stand and then my solid top acoustic/electric i keep in it's case until a few minutes before i play it. I play them all at least 4 times a week. They are all kept in the coolest room of the house so i really don't have any tuning or any other problems with them. As for naming them i have them all named. The electric is called Heavy because it weights about 13 lbs. The laminate is called Jasmine because it is on the headstock. Then the solid top is called Woody because it's all wood and has a woody tone.

Zurf,
It is a bigger castle i am moving into lol it also has two turrets sticking out the top.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

upyerkilt wrote:

Zurf,
It is a bigger castle i am moving into lol it also has two turrets sticking out the top.

Ken

How about a mote?  You've got to have a mote and a drawbridge to be a proper king. 

Micky,

No names for my guitars.  I refer to them by type.  "The fretless", "the Yamaha acoustic", "the classical", etc.  No real nicknames.  Except possibly for my Ovation Magnum bass, which by the second set used to get called "that overweight hunk of mahogony".  Then again, it's got enough sustain that I think I could hit a note at the end of the first set, go take a break, strap it back on at the beginning of the second set and have to mute the note before starting a new song. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

12 (edited by micky the mooch 2009-09-14 14:43:06)

ave got a Re mote if thats any good lol wink ohhh and i can draw a bridge

I keep mine on the stands on the floor. I call my Epi the Beast.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I hang 'em in my AC basement. I have a dehumidifier down there as well. If there in a case, they just don't get played as much.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

micky the mooch wrote:

ave got a Re mote if thats any good lol wink ohhh and i can draw a bridge

Re-mote is twice as good.  You don't just mote, you re-mote.  smile